Period Music Stand

  • Elena de Montb�liard
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2005
      Hello! :)

      I'm interested in reproducing a period music stand, but I'm not even sure where to start in my pictorial research. I've been poking through some manuscript facsimiles hoping someone has painted one in a scene somewhere, but I'm not finding anything. Does anyone have any ideas to help me as I search? Anywhere that might be a grand place to look. . .?

      Thanks,

      Elena
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 28, 2005
        It¹s hard to find an example because I don¹t think there are any out there.
        ;)

        In period, ³professional² music was mostly memorized. And genteel music,
        like a gathering of upper-class people entertaining themselves by singing
        madrigals after dinner, was thought of as a private affair, not performance
        per se. There are some great scenes of people gathered around tables, with
        their part books on a table that clearly had just been cleared from dinner.
        Very cool stuff!

        I saw a re-creation of this image at a Midrealm A&S competition once. It was
        really something. They brought a big oak table to sit around for their
        performance and everything.

        Conna