Re: Ball-competitions

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 11, 2000
      Could be interesting...

      I'm not sure if anyone would bother, though. For Crystal Ball this year, the
      A&S competition was to create a dance to match a song that I picked for the
      occasion. We made tapes ahead of time so people had plenty of time to come up
      with a dance. No one did. I was disappointed.

      What are some other ideas that would draw people in sort of last minute.
      Wasn't there a competition a year or so ago about spiffiest garb present at
      the ball? Maybe another one could be the dancing couple that most entertains
      the musicians (or am I biased?).

      Conrad, wasn't there some sort of competition at Gulf Wars last year? I can't
      remember what it was now.

      Conna

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2000
        I was waiting a little to see if their were any other ideas.

        I've got 2 ideas for Ball based contests. I would like them
        both to be War Points. The first is the now mostly traditional
        attendance WP. I would like it to be during the last dance of
        the first set. Something easy and fun - Trenchmore maybe.

        The second is a bit more competition-like and here I was inspired
        some by what was done a gulf wars last year. A head to head
        competition of dance performances, one done by each side.
        Each side gets to choose its best entry however they want, any
        time prior to the ball. During the first break each side will
        perform their dance. Results judeged almost immediately.
        Non-selected entries could be perfoemed during later breaks.

        Preliminary criteria

        Level 1
        Performance (16)

        Level 2 (8 each)
        Music (bonus points for live music!)
        Style (participants having fun1!)
        Authenticity (period reconstruction or very period-like original)
        Audience response

        Level 3 (4 each)
        Documentation (3x5 index card)
        Garb (similar, appropriate to time and place)
        Complexity
        Teachability

        Coments?

        Conrad