Ball-competitions

  • Katriana
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2000
      Hi there,

      Got a message from Genevieve, who's running A&S at Lilies this year.

      >I am in the process of planning the Arts and Science Activities for the
      Lillies War. I was >wondering if you are interested in having any A & S
      competitions connected or related >to the ball this year??

      Well, I'm not real big on competitions, but I know other people are. What
      do you all think?

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2000
        Could be interesting...

        I'm not sure if anyone would bother, though. For Crystal Ball this year, the
        A&S competition was to create a dance to match a song that I picked for the
        occasion. We made tapes ahead of time so people had plenty of time to come up
        with a dance. No one did. I was disappointed.

        What are some other ideas that would draw people in sort of last minute.
        Wasn't there a competition a year or so ago about spiffiest garb present at
        the ball? Maybe another one could be the dancing couple that most entertains
        the musicians (or am I biased?).

        Conrad, wasn't there some sort of competition at Gulf Wars last year? I can't
        remember what it was now.

        Conna

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 12, 2000
          I was waiting a little to see if their were any other ideas.

          I've got 2 ideas for Ball based contests. I would like them
          both to be War Points. The first is the now mostly traditional
          attendance WP. I would like it to be during the last dance of
          the first set. Something easy and fun - Trenchmore maybe.

          The second is a bit more competition-like and here I was inspired
          some by what was done a gulf wars last year. A head to head
          competition of dance performances, one done by each side.
          Each side gets to choose its best entry however they want, any
          time prior to the ball. During the first break each side will
          perform their dance. Results judeged almost immediately.
          Non-selected entries could be perfoemed during later breaks.

          Preliminary criteria

          Level 1
          Performance (16)

          Level 2 (8 each)
          Music (bonus points for live music!)
          Style (participants having fun1!)
          Authenticity (period reconstruction or very period-like original)
          Audience response

          Level 3 (4 each)
          Documentation (3x5 index card)
          Garb (similar, appropriate to time and place)
          Complexity
          Teachability

          Coments?

          Conrad