RE: [CalontirDance] Re:Carolingian Pavanne and Singing

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
      Nope we sure don't and anyone who wants to sing along with the pit can - I
      certainly sing along with everything I can anytime there's a chance even if
      it's just the famous lyrics of "da da di dumpty do"- I just wouldn't advise
      it as a "special performance" type thing. In the case of a ball the pit is
      accompanyment and specail performance is a whole different thing -the
      Juniper Consort has a great handle on this, and can probably tell you more
      eloquently than I, just how it differs. I love to have special performances
      during breaks at any ball that I run but at the same time I would advise
      anyone playing in the pit that they, while indespendible, are not the main
      attraction to this audience and should not be offended if they don't ge the
      special attention that a special performance deserves in that setting.
      Alternately if a gourp of dancers wants to work with singers an dmucisians
      to put on an exhibition performance that could work too. Just my opinions of
      course, mileage may vary.

      Tsire

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
        I'm teaching a Buffens class in honor of the Rattan part of the day - -I
        wonder if I'll get lucky and have a group ready to perform by the ball again
        - -lol.

        Tsire

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
          You sure are right that anyone looking to provide a special performance of
          vocals will probably be disappointed with the results. The dancers might
          notice that someone¹s singing, but probably not. And I wouldn¹t blame them
          for not noticing.

          We musicians know that we¹re not the main attraction‹and thank goodness for
          that! We like a low profile and to have fun in the pit without worrying
          about keeping some sort of freaky stage-presence thing going. That would
          ruin the fun for 99.9% of us for sure! (At least I think so.)

          A funny story from Pennsic about instruments not being heard. During the
          Loud Band class that we attended, a young girl approached carrying a
          recorder. The leader of the class told her it was for loud instruments only,
          and that her recorder wouldn¹t be heard. She said she¹d still like to sit in
          with the class, and she was there because she wanted to play with a group
          but NOT be heard. LOL!

          Conna