RE: [CalontirDance] Re:Carolingian Pavanne and Singing

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 12 11:24 AM
      >Thats true - but lets not get back into the dancing to cantigas loop - lol
      >:)

      There's always 'Drums', it is a costuming and RATTAN seminar after all ;)

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 12 11:34 AM
        Nope we sure don't and anyone who wants to sing along with the pit can - I
        certainly sing along with everything I can anytime there's a chance even if
        it's just the famous lyrics of "da da di dumpty do"- I just wouldn't advise
        it as a "special performance" type thing. In the case of a ball the pit is
        accompanyment and specail performance is a whole different thing -the
        Juniper Consort has a great handle on this, and can probably tell you more
        eloquently than I, just how it differs. I love to have special performances
        during breaks at any ball that I run but at the same time I would advise
        anyone playing in the pit that they, while indespendible, are not the main
        attraction to this audience and should not be offended if they don't ge the
        special attention that a special performance deserves in that setting.
        Alternately if a gourp of dancers wants to work with singers an dmucisians
        to put on an exhibition performance that could work too. Just my opinions of
        course, mileage may vary.

        Tsire

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 12 11:35 AM
          I'm teaching a Buffens class in honor of the Rattan part of the day - -I
          wonder if I'll get lucky and have a group ready to perform by the ball again
          - -lol.

          Tsire

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 12 11:43 AM
            You sure are right that anyone looking to provide a special performance of
            vocals will probably be disappointed with the results. The dancers might
            notice that someone¹s singing, but probably not. And I wouldn¹t blame them
            for not noticing.

            We musicians know that we¹re not the main attraction‹and thank goodness for
            that! We like a low profile and to have fun in the pit without worrying
            about keeping some sort of freaky stage-presence thing going. That would
            ruin the fun for 99.9% of us for sure! (At least I think so.)

            A funny story from Pennsic about instruments not being heard. During the
            Loud Band class that we attended, a young girl approached carrying a
            recorder. The leader of the class told her it was for loud instruments only,
            and that her recorder wouldn¹t be heard. She said she¹d still like to sit in
            with the class, and she was there because she wanted to play with a group
            but NOT be heard. LOL!

            Conna