RE: [CalontirDance] Re:Carolingian Pavanne and Singing

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
      depends on the soloist, of course, but its certianly possible.
      Do we turn away other 'instruments' just cause they might not be heard?

      Conrad

      Thats true - but lets not get back into the dancing to cantigas loop - lol
      :)

      In all reality I love singing and I love dancing but I find that they don't
      always go together well in the SCA - I think a soloist is just going to have
      trouble being heard in a ball setting during a dance but I could be wrong.

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
        >Thats true - but lets not get back into the dancing to cantigas loop - lol
        >:)

        There's always 'Drums', it is a costuming and RATTAN seminar after all ;)

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
          Nope we sure don't and anyone who wants to sing along with the pit can - I
          certainly sing along with everything I can anytime there's a chance even if
          it's just the famous lyrics of "da da di dumpty do"- I just wouldn't advise
          it as a "special performance" type thing. In the case of a ball the pit is
          accompanyment and specail performance is a whole different thing -the
          Juniper Consort has a great handle on this, and can probably tell you more
          eloquently than I, just how it differs. I love to have special performances
          during breaks at any ball that I run but at the same time I would advise
          anyone playing in the pit that they, while indespendible, are not the main
          attraction to this audience and should not be offended if they don't ge the
          special attention that a special performance deserves in that setting.
          Alternately if a gourp of dancers wants to work with singers an dmucisians
          to put on an exhibition performance that could work too. Just my opinions of
          course, mileage may vary.

          Tsire

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
            I'm teaching a Buffens class in honor of the Rattan part of the day - -I
            wonder if I'll get lucky and have a group ready to perform by the ball again
            - -lol.

            Tsire

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
              You sure are right that anyone looking to provide a special performance of
              vocals will probably be disappointed with the results. The dancers might
              notice that someone¹s singing, but probably not. And I wouldn¹t blame them
              for not noticing.

              We musicians know that we¹re not the main attraction‹and thank goodness for
              that! We like a low profile and to have fun in the pit without worrying
              about keeping some sort of freaky stage-presence thing going. That would
              ruin the fun for 99.9% of us for sure! (At least I think so.)

              A funny story from Pennsic about instruments not being heard. During the
              Loud Band class that we attended, a young girl approached carrying a
              recorder. The leader of the class told her it was for loud instruments only,
              and that her recorder wouldn¹t be heard. She said she¹d still like to sit in
              with the class, and she was there because she wanted to play with a group
              but NOT be heard. LOL!

              Conna