RE: [CalontirDance] Re:Carolingian Pavanne and Singing

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
      Thers always 'Quen, Quere, Que'

      Conrad

      ------------------------------

      Conna,

      I know just who you're talking about - lol.
      I'll think on that but heres my main issue: I've often found that the tempo
      to dance the Carolingingian Pavanne very comfortably and to sing it well are
      very different. As a singer and a dancer who's done both with CP I can
      verify this - it's either got to go too fast to make the dance graceful or
      be gracefully danced but make the singer bluefaced and dirge like. sigh -
      the dilemma! the drama! how French!

      Tangentally:
      Did you know that Sellenger's Round has lyrics too? Slightly baudy ones at
      that.

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
        Thats true - but lets not get back into the dancing to cantigas loop - lol
        :)

        In all reality I love singing and I love dancing but I find that they don't
        always go together well in the SCA - I think a soloist is just going to have
        trouble being heard in a ball setting during a dance but I could be wrong.

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
            >Thats true - but lets not get back into the dancing to cantigas loop - lol
            >:)

            There's always 'Drums', it is a costuming and RATTAN seminar after all ;)

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
              Nope we sure don't and anyone who wants to sing along with the pit can - I
              certainly sing along with everything I can anytime there's a chance even if
              it's just the famous lyrics of "da da di dumpty do"- I just wouldn't advise
              it as a "special performance" type thing. In the case of a ball the pit is
              accompanyment and specail performance is a whole different thing -the
              Juniper Consort has a great handle on this, and can probably tell you more
              eloquently than I, just how it differs. I love to have special performances
              during breaks at any ball that I run but at the same time I would advise
              anyone playing in the pit that they, while indespendible, are not the main
              attraction to this audience and should not be offended if they don't ge the
              special attention that a special performance deserves in that setting.
              Alternately if a gourp of dancers wants to work with singers an dmucisians
              to put on an exhibition performance that could work too. Just my opinions of
              course, mileage may vary.

              Tsire

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
                I'm teaching a Buffens class in honor of the Rattan part of the day - -I
                wonder if I'll get lucky and have a group ready to perform by the ball again
                - -lol.

                Tsire

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
                  You sure are right that anyone looking to provide a special performance of
                  vocals will probably be disappointed with the results. The dancers might
                  notice that someone¹s singing, but probably not. And I wouldn¹t blame them
                  for not noticing.

                  We musicians know that we¹re not the main attraction‹and thank goodness for
                  that! We like a low profile and to have fun in the pit without worrying
                  about keeping some sort of freaky stage-presence thing going. That would
                  ruin the fun for 99.9% of us for sure! (At least I think so.)

                  A funny story from Pennsic about instruments not being heard. During the
                  Loud Band class that we attended, a young girl approached carrying a
                  recorder. The leader of the class told her it was for loud instruments only,
                  and that her recorder wouldn¹t be heard. She said she¹d still like to sit in
                  with the class, and she was there because she wanted to play with a group
                  but NOT be heard. LOL!

                  Conna