Re: [CalontirDance] KW Clothing/Rattan

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
      I¹ll be there!

      Any chance we can do Carolingian? I think I¹ve got a singer who wants to do
      something for the ball, and that¹s the best thing I could think of.

      Conna

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
        Conna,

        I know just who you're talking about - lol.
        I'll think on that but heres my main issue: I've often found that the tempo
        to dance the Carolingingian Pavanne very comfortably and to sing it well are
        very different. As a singer and a dancer who's done both with CP I can
        verify this - it's either got to go too fast to make the dance graceful or
        be gracefully danced but make the singer bluefaced and dirge like. sigh -
        the dilemma! the drama! how French!

        Tangentally:
        Did you know that Sellenger's Round has lyrics too? Slightly baudy ones at
        that.
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
          Thers always 'Quen, Quere, Que'

          Conrad

          ------------------------------

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
            Thats true - but lets not get back into the dancing to cantigas loop - lol
            :)

            In all reality I love singing and I love dancing but I find that they don't
            always go together well in the SCA - I think a soloist is just going to have
            trouble being heard in a ball setting during a dance but I could be wrong.

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
                >Thats true - but lets not get back into the dancing to cantigas loop - lol
                >:)

                There's always 'Drums', it is a costuming and RATTAN seminar after all ;)

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
                  Nope we sure don't and anyone who wants to sing along with the pit can - I
                  certainly sing along with everything I can anytime there's a chance even if
                  it's just the famous lyrics of "da da di dumpty do"- I just wouldn't advise
                  it as a "special performance" type thing. In the case of a ball the pit is
                  accompanyment and specail performance is a whole different thing -the
                  Juniper Consort has a great handle on this, and can probably tell you more
                  eloquently than I, just how it differs. I love to have special performances
                  during breaks at any ball that I run but at the same time I would advise
                  anyone playing in the pit that they, while indespendible, are not the main
                  attraction to this audience and should not be offended if they don't ge the
                  special attention that a special performance deserves in that setting.
                  Alternately if a gourp of dancers wants to work with singers an dmucisians
                  to put on an exhibition performance that could work too. Just my opinions of
                  course, mileage may vary.

                  Tsire

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
                    I'm teaching a Buffens class in honor of the Rattan part of the day - -I
                    wonder if I'll get lucky and have a group ready to perform by the ball again
                    - -lol.

                    Tsire

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
                      You sure are right that anyone looking to provide a special performance of
                      vocals will probably be disappointed with the results. The dancers might
                      notice that someone¹s singing, but probably not. And I wouldn¹t blame them
                      for not noticing.

                      We musicians know that we¹re not the main attraction‹and thank goodness for
                      that! We like a low profile and to have fun in the pit without worrying
                      about keeping some sort of freaky stage-presence thing going. That would
                      ruin the fun for 99.9% of us for sure! (At least I think so.)

                      A funny story from Pennsic about instruments not being heard. During the
                      Loud Band class that we attended, a young girl approached carrying a
                      recorder. The leader of the class told her it was for loud instruments only,
                      and that her recorder wouldn¹t be heard. She said she¹d still like to sit in
                      with the class, and she was there because she wanted to play with a group
                      but NOT be heard. LOL!

                      Conna