KW Clothing/Rattan

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
      Hey there everyone,

      Yippeee! There's going to be dance classes and a ball at the Known World
      Costuming and Rattan symposium! I love the cross polination going on here
      between looking fabulous and dancing. -two of my favorite things in one
      place. -tee hee.
      I'm putting the ball list together as we speak and just thought I'd open up
      the floor to see what your favorite "Show off my clothes" dances are. I love
      polling the community on this kind of stuff. It really helps me to put
      together interesting and entertaining ball set lists.
      Who all is planning on attending this event? - Dancers? Musicians? I'd love
      to know you'll be there.

      Hopefully I'll see you all soon.
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
        I¹ll be there!

        Any chance we can do Carolingian? I think I¹ve got a singer who wants to do
        something for the ball, and that¹s the best thing I could think of.

        Conna

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
          Conna,

          I know just who you're talking about - lol.
          I'll think on that but heres my main issue: I've often found that the tempo
          to dance the Carolingingian Pavanne very comfortably and to sing it well are
          very different. As a singer and a dancer who's done both with CP I can
          verify this - it's either got to go too fast to make the dance graceful or
          be gracefully danced but make the singer bluefaced and dirge like. sigh -
          the dilemma! the drama! how French!

          Tangentally:
          Did you know that Sellenger's Round has lyrics too? Slightly baudy ones at
          that.
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
            Thers always 'Quen, Quere, Que'

            Conrad

            ------------------------------

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
              Thats true - but lets not get back into the dancing to cantigas loop - lol
              :)

              In all reality I love singing and I love dancing but I find that they don't
              always go together well in the SCA - I think a soloist is just going to have
              trouble being heard in a ball setting during a dance but I could be wrong.

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
                  >Thats true - but lets not get back into the dancing to cantigas loop - lol
                  >:)

                  There's always 'Drums', it is a costuming and RATTAN seminar after all ;)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
                    Nope we sure don't and anyone who wants to sing along with the pit can - I
                    certainly sing along with everything I can anytime there's a chance even if
                    it's just the famous lyrics of "da da di dumpty do"- I just wouldn't advise
                    it as a "special performance" type thing. In the case of a ball the pit is
                    accompanyment and specail performance is a whole different thing -the
                    Juniper Consort has a great handle on this, and can probably tell you more
                    eloquently than I, just how it differs. I love to have special performances
                    during breaks at any ball that I run but at the same time I would advise
                    anyone playing in the pit that they, while indespendible, are not the main
                    attraction to this audience and should not be offended if they don't ge the
                    special attention that a special performance deserves in that setting.
                    Alternately if a gourp of dancers wants to work with singers an dmucisians
                    to put on an exhibition performance that could work too. Just my opinions of
                    course, mileage may vary.

                    Tsire

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
                      I'm teaching a Buffens class in honor of the Rattan part of the day - -I
                      wonder if I'll get lucky and have a group ready to perform by the ball again
                      - -lol.

                      Tsire

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 12, 2005
                        You sure are right that anyone looking to provide a special performance of
                        vocals will probably be disappointed with the results. The dancers might
                        notice that someone¹s singing, but probably not. And I wouldn¹t blame them
                        for not noticing.

                        We musicians know that we¹re not the main attraction‹and thank goodness for
                        that! We like a low profile and to have fun in the pit without worrying
                        about keeping some sort of freaky stage-presence thing going. That would
                        ruin the fun for 99.9% of us for sure! (At least I think so.)

                        A funny story from Pennsic about instruments not being heard. During the
                        Loud Band class that we attended, a young girl approached carrying a
                        recorder. The leader of the class told her it was for loud instruments only,
                        and that her recorder wouldn¹t be heard. She said she¹d still like to sit in
                        with the class, and she was there because she wanted to play with a group
                        but NOT be heard. LOL!

                        Conna