Re: Dancing at Lilies

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 27, 1999
      Hi, all. Conna here. Hope you all had a blessed Christmas.

      Thanks, Conrad, for putting this all together. And well enough in advance that
      I can actually practice!

      Sauer, Michael F. wrote:

      > Well the schedulers are starting to ask who wants to do what and wend at
      > Lilies. Now its been pretty well decided that the Ball will be on
      > thursday night in the grand pavilion. But exactly when to start is still
      > an open question. Last year I think it was scheduled to start at 8 or 8:30
      > I don't remember. I remember thinking that it was early enough that I had
      > to hurry off the field, eat and get ready quickly and we did start dancing
      > before it was dark. Any opinions?

      8 or 8:30 seems right to me. I think it might have been earlier last year. I
      seem to remember having to rush to get there, too, and I wasn't even fighting.

      > Also I would like to have 1 scheduled night of pick up dancing. We will have
      > to see waht space is available for this, I'm leaning toward monday night -
      > but except for sunday night thats the night with the least number of people.

      Not yet sure of my schedule. I'm shooting to be there the whole week, but sort
      of doubt that I'll be able to because of work (summer is my busy season).

      > ...from minday to thursday. If possible I'd like to have live music for
      > some of the classes (in part to get people used to live music, earlier).

      If I'm on site, you can count on me to play for you.

      Some of the songs I'm not familiar with. Is it possible they have other names?
      Katriana, do you have music for these?

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 27, 1999
        Hi from Conrad

        >Hi, all. Conna here. Hope you all had a blessed Christmas.

        Yea, someone out there is reading this!

        >Thanks, Conrad, for putting this all together. And well enough in advance
        that
        >I can actually practice!

        Speeking of practice - I think I would like to make actual live recorded
        (as opposed to electronic) music available for practice. I am not happy
        with what I've been able to do on the computer. There are some on my list
        I don't have music available to teach the dance to. If it bothers anybody
        we could always put on the terms of use that the music is not to be used
        if live music is available.

        >>I remember thinking that it was early enough that I had
        >> to hurry off the field, eat and get ready quickly and we did start
        dancing
        >> before it was dark. Any opinions?

        >8 or 8:30 seems right to me. I think it might have been earlier last year.
        >seem to remember having to rush to get there, too, and I wasn't even
        fighting.

        I would like to actually start before dark - at the very least it makes
        setup
        easier and there are some who just won't/can't dance in torchlight.

        >> ...from monday to thursday. If possible I'd like to have live music for
        >> some of the classes (in part to get people used to live music, earlier).

        >If I'm on site, you can count on me to play for you.

        Thanks.

        >Some of the songs I'm not familiar with. Is it possible they have other
        names?
        >Katriana, do you have music for these?

        These 3 should be available somewhere - I'm pretty sure these are
        the names of the dances from priod sources.

        > Mage on a Cree (Playford, 1st)
        > Pinagay Bransle (Arbeau)
        > Lorayne Allmande (Arbeau/Inns of Court)

        These 2 can be done to almost any music
        > L'Escargot (??)
        > Tangle Bransle (Arbeau?)

        This is an SCA dance - it probably uses music from
        some other Allemande I don't know which - Its from Meridies
        > Ivy Allemande (SCA) Line of couples?

        Also from Meridies - I've never heard live music for it.