Dancing at Lilies

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 1999
      Hello all

      Well the schedulers are starting to ask who wants to do what and wend at
      Lilies. Now its been pretty well decided that the Ball will be on
      thursday night in the grand pavilion. But exactly when to start is still
      an open question. Last year I think it was scheduled to start at 8 or 8:30
      I don't remember. I remember thinking that it was early enough that I had
      to hurry off the field, eat and get ready quickly and we did start dancing
      before it was dark. Any opinions?

      Also I would like to have 1 scheduled night of pick up dancing. We will have
      to see waht space is available for this, I'm leaning toward monday night -
      but except for sunday night thats the night with the least number of people.

      Lastly I think we need to coordinate the RUSH dance class offerings. Now the
      RUSH organization is seperate from much of the rest of Lilies and anyone who
      wants can offer to teach dance, but I would like to see classes offered by
      many different teachers representing all levels of experience and areas of
      the Kingdom. I will probably try to schedule 2 or 3 classes. If we have
      enough teachers I'd like to have something scheduled 10-12 and 1-3 (at
      least)
      from minday to thursday. If possible I'd like to have live music for
      some of the classes (in part to get people used to live music, earlier).

      The current list of ball and request dances is listed at the end of the
      message
      and is availavle on the Lilies Dance Web page
      http://calontir.sca.org/artsci/dance/lilies-ball/lilies-ball.html.
      I encourage all teachers to learn and reteach these dances (the first group)
      so
      that many people at the ball might already know them. I'm working at getting
      all
      of them on the web, but that effort got slowed down when I became the
      Calontir
      web person.

      A more general dance page is now at

      http://calontir.sca.org/artsci/dance/dance.html

      Conrad

      Lilies War 14 Ball Preliminary dance list 7/27/99
      Ball Dances
      Amoroso (Italian balli)
      Black Allemande (Arbeau/Inns of Court)
      Calontir Bransle (SCA dance to period music)
      Candlestick Bransle (Arbeau)
      Carloingian Pavan (SCA dance to music from Arbeau)
      Charlotta Bransle (Arbeau)
      Earl of Salisbury Pavan (Arbeau)
      Gathering Peascods (Playford, 1st)
      Gelosia (Italian balli)
      Hearts Ease (Playford, 1st)
      Heralds in Love (SCA, reasonalby ECDish)
      Horses Bransle (Arbeau)
      Jenny Plucks Pears (Playford, 1st)
      Ly Bens Distonys (Gresly, easy)
      SCA Maltese Bransle [Turkish] (SCA, style of Arbeau)
      Mannschaft Pavan (SCA somewhat period style)
      New boe Peep (Playford, 1st)
      Official Bransle (Arbeau)
      Il Pantione (Italian, very easy)
      Petit Riens (Italian balli)
      Quen Quer Que (SCA to 13th cent. music (cantiga))
      Rostiboli (Italian balli)
      Rufty Tufty (Playford, 1st)
      Scottish Bransle (Arbeau)

      Request Dances
      Agreers (Playford, 1st)
      Anello (Italian balli)
      Angus Reel (?)
      Black Nag (Playford, not 1st)
      Goddesses (Playford, 1st)
      Grimstock (Playford, 1st)
      Hole in the Wall (Playford, not 1st)
      Ivy Allemande (SCA) Line of couples?
      Korabushka (SCA)
      Lorayne Allmande (Arbeau/Inns of Court)
      L'Escargot (??)
      Maid Peept out at the window (Playford, 1st)
      Mage on a Cree (Playford, 1st)
      Mediritza (Folk dance?)
      Montard Bransle (Arbeau)
      None Such (Playford, 1st)
      Parsons farwell (Playford, 1st)
      Pease Bransle (Arbeau)
      Picking of Sticks (Playford, 1st)
      Pinagay Bransle (Arbeau)
      Pizochara (Italian balli)
      Queens Allmande (Arbeau/Inns of Court)
      Scottland the Brave (SCA)
      Sellengers Round (Playford, not 1st)
      Tangle Bransle (Arbeau?)
      Trenchmore (Playford, not 1st)
      Washerwomans Bransle (Arbeau)
      Whirligig (Playford, 1st)
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 27, 1999
        Hi, all. Conna here. Hope you all had a blessed Christmas.

        Thanks, Conrad, for putting this all together. And well enough in advance that
        I can actually practice!

        Sauer, Michael F. wrote:

        > Well the schedulers are starting to ask who wants to do what and wend at
        > Lilies. Now its been pretty well decided that the Ball will be on
        > thursday night in the grand pavilion. But exactly when to start is still
        > an open question. Last year I think it was scheduled to start at 8 or 8:30
        > I don't remember. I remember thinking that it was early enough that I had
        > to hurry off the field, eat and get ready quickly and we did start dancing
        > before it was dark. Any opinions?

        8 or 8:30 seems right to me. I think it might have been earlier last year. I
        seem to remember having to rush to get there, too, and I wasn't even fighting.

        > Also I would like to have 1 scheduled night of pick up dancing. We will have
        > to see waht space is available for this, I'm leaning toward monday night -
        > but except for sunday night thats the night with the least number of people.

        Not yet sure of my schedule. I'm shooting to be there the whole week, but sort
        of doubt that I'll be able to because of work (summer is my busy season).

        > ...from minday to thursday. If possible I'd like to have live music for
        > some of the classes (in part to get people used to live music, earlier).

        If I'm on site, you can count on me to play for you.

        Some of the songs I'm not familiar with. Is it possible they have other names?
        Katriana, do you have music for these?

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 27, 1999
          Hi from Conrad

          >Hi, all. Conna here. Hope you all had a blessed Christmas.

          Yea, someone out there is reading this!

          >Thanks, Conrad, for putting this all together. And well enough in advance
          that
          >I can actually practice!

          Speeking of practice - I think I would like to make actual live recorded
          (as opposed to electronic) music available for practice. I am not happy
          with what I've been able to do on the computer. There are some on my list
          I don't have music available to teach the dance to. If it bothers anybody
          we could always put on the terms of use that the music is not to be used
          if live music is available.

          >>I remember thinking that it was early enough that I had
          >> to hurry off the field, eat and get ready quickly and we did start
          dancing
          >> before it was dark. Any opinions?

          >8 or 8:30 seems right to me. I think it might have been earlier last year.
          >seem to remember having to rush to get there, too, and I wasn't even
          fighting.

          I would like to actually start before dark - at the very least it makes
          setup
          easier and there are some who just won't/can't dance in torchlight.

          >> ...from monday to thursday. If possible I'd like to have live music for
          >> some of the classes (in part to get people used to live music, earlier).

          >If I'm on site, you can count on me to play for you.

          Thanks.

          >Some of the songs I'm not familiar with. Is it possible they have other
          names?
          >Katriana, do you have music for these?

          These 3 should be available somewhere - I'm pretty sure these are
          the names of the dances from priod sources.

          > Mage on a Cree (Playford, 1st)
          > Pinagay Bransle (Arbeau)
          > Lorayne Allmande (Arbeau/Inns of Court)

          These 2 can be done to almost any music
          > L'Escargot (??)
          > Tangle Bransle (Arbeau?)

          This is an SCA dance - it probably uses music from
          some other Allemande I don't know which - Its from Meridies
          > Ivy Allemande (SCA) Line of couples?

          Also from Meridies - I've never heard live music for it.