Re: [CalontirDance] Need help for Standing Stones Music

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2005
      Hi Philippe,

      It¹s great to hear of musicians trying to get a local group going. Good luck
      with it!

      I don¹t remember meeting you under the musicians¹ tent at Lilies, so I guess
      you weren¹t at the war. We had lots of great get-togethers there, and
      Constantia had all kinds of organized things for us to do this year. It¹s a
      great way to get help and inspiration.

      It sounds like you¹ve got plenty of sheet music to keep you busy for a
      while. Four-part pieces are typically (but not always) arranged for S-A-T-B.
      You¹re wise to double-check that sort of thing. Base it all on the lowest
      note possible on your recorder. A soprano only goes down to a C, so check
      for that. An alto¹s lowest note is an F below the soprano C, and so on.
      That¹s how you figure out what instrument to assign to a line.

      I¹d try to steer clear of clarinets if possible, since they¹re post-period.
      But absolutely there were lots and lots of strings used for dance music.
      Sorry you heard otherwise, but it¹s completely inaccurate. Frankly, in
      period, dance pits were much more likely to have strings than recorders. But
      mixed consorts are definitely the way to go. No reason not to play your
      violin while others are on recorder, etc. And modern mandolins are very
      similar to a soprano cittern.

      But great highland pipes and uilleann pipes are definitely post-period.
      Luckily, it sounds like you¹ve got plenty of other options available to you,
      so enjoy those!

      Good luck!
      Conna

    • Christian M. Cepel
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2005
        Greetings. I believe your name was given to me by Rhodri as a 'must
        meet' person last week when we had the music session at his house.
        He's trying to persuade us that there's an event in St. Louis we should
        attend just to meet you. I wasn't at Lilies. Haven't been to Lilies for
        like 8 years... Just getting back into the SCA after a 2-3 year absence
        of being sick sick sick. The copy of the Lilies XIV Ball music I have
        came from some kind soul at an event up in the Mexico area several years
        back. A kind local person offered me a copy of this year's music, so
        hopefully we'll be learning up to date material.

        Thank you for the tips. I'm familiar with SATB texture, but haven't
        seen it written out like this before.... Usually just as chord parts on
        a grand staff. I hope I won't be misleading people (if anyone shows
        up.) I hadn't noticed that some of the G-clefts (treble) were octave
        up and octave down G-clefts (dumb dumb me), until just last night...
        that does help a bit *grin* (need to get my eyes checked I think).
        Hopefully more folks will show up this evening. Even more hopefully
        somebody who knows what they are doing.

        I'm content as long as I'm able/allowed to play my mandolin, and others
        are content as long as I'm NOT playing my bagpipes, so I guess it's all
        good. Thanks. I'm glad to hear that strings were prevalent.

        //Philippe