RE: [CalontirDance] Ongoing GOOP talk

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 11 8:50 AM
      Not that this necessarilly applies to Dashing Whit Seargent, but
      there is a great difference in my mind from GOOP to original dance in
      period style, even if they both were written in the 20th century or later.

      Korobushka is the epitiome of GOOP, 20th century (1920's?) dance written for or
      adapted to a Broadway show to either late 19th or early 20th century music
      which a popular poem was set to.

      On the other hand the ECD Tsire wrote a few years ago "Ilyia's something?"
      used elements from "1651" ECD so is a reasonable original dance in period style,
      much better than a modern dance brought in from outside.

      Manshaft Pavane and Heralds in Love are original dances based on period styles,
      but use elements not found in period sources so fall in between. "Period style
      dances with modern elemets" perhaps.

      Other anachronisms are Black Nag (clearly classic ECD in construction, but from the 3rd?
      edition of Playford. My Lady Cullen and Hole in the Wall are both 'contra' style
      of ECD, but properly HitW should be done with waltz-like steps and is very Baroque
      in style (and thus OOP, verging on GOOP (true 17th dance has far more in common with
      19th and 20th century dance than pre-1600 dance)) while MLC uses many more elements
      of old style ECD (Set turn singles, stars for 4, heys, etc.).

      Dashing White Seargent is sort of a combination dance - it came into the SCA through
      the movie "Tarzan, the Legend of Greystroke" or something like that, and anything
      made for, used by or associated with hollywood is imediatly suspect. Still it has period
      elements, the STS and heys. There are also elements I now recognize from Irish dance
      (the 3 facing 3 and pass through lines) and at sometime all the dances of the British Isle
      influenced each other. If anybody has ony other info on this dance I'd be intrested.

      Conrad

      Conrad et al

      I was adding ANgus Reel only as a another boing but out of period dance -
      comparing it to posties in that regard -

      Also I meant elimination in the sense that its not on Calontir Ball lists or
      in class sets I teach - not as in elimination from the face of the earth -
      you know I'm not as hard line as all that :)

      YAY for My Lady Cullen - it's got to me my new favorite contra-type thing -
      and yay for Dashing wWHite Seargent - one of my faves in the GOOP category.