RE: [CalontirDance] Dances that I think are fun

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 10 12:19 PM
      Which version of Whirlygig???
      Long, short or extra short?
      my feeling is that the short one is correct but maybe we could take
      a look at playford to decide?

      Don't hold your breath for the Angus Reel - at least unless
      y'all come the the monthy Ceili in Columbia - one tomorrow night even :)

      Wahoo a create a class session - this is fun!

      1) Heralds in Love is being taught in the Not Period but Dang Fun class
      2) I'll incorporate Hearts Ease and Rufty Tufty
      3) I dont teach Posties since it's grossly out of period - I'll ask Isabeau
      could throw it into the NPBDF class for you though.

      Hmm - bouncy eh? Ever liked Gracca Amorosa? How about Whirlygig? Gratiosa?
      Picking of Sticks? My Lady Cullen?

      Also on the not period but fun track - I bet you'd totally dig Argus Reel as
      well as Dashing White Seargeant. The NPbDF class used to be mine but I've
      passed it off to Isabeau (less my area of interest now and much more up her
      alley) :)

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • pretzelbear@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 10 12:21 PM
        I forgot about Picking of Sticks and Rufty Tufty. Very very fun.

        Sounds like an all around good class. I havn't heard of the others
        but I know you don't reccomend non-fun dances :)

        -Roberto

        --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, "Tsire Tuzevo" <tsire@h...>

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 11 8:21 AM
          Conrad et al

          I was adding ANgus Reel only as a another boing but out of period dance -
          comparing it to posties in that regard -

          Also I meant elimination in the sense that its not on Calontir Ball lists or
          in class sets I teach - not as in elimination from the face of the earth -
          you know I'm not as hard line as all that :)

          YAY for My Lady Cullen - it's got to me my new favorite contra-type thing -
          and yay for Dashing wWHite Seargent - one of my faves in the GOOP category.

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 11 8:50 AM
            Not that this necessarilly applies to Dashing Whit Seargent, but
            there is a great difference in my mind from GOOP to original dance in
            period style, even if they both were written in the 20th century or later.

            Korobushka is the epitiome of GOOP, 20th century (1920's?) dance written for or
            adapted to a Broadway show to either late 19th or early 20th century music
            which a popular poem was set to.

            On the other hand the ECD Tsire wrote a few years ago "Ilyia's something?"
            used elements from "1651" ECD so is a reasonable original dance in period style,
            much better than a modern dance brought in from outside.

            Manshaft Pavane and Heralds in Love are original dances based on period styles,
            but use elements not found in period sources so fall in between. "Period style
            dances with modern elemets" perhaps.

            Other anachronisms are Black Nag (clearly classic ECD in construction, but from the 3rd?
            edition of Playford. My Lady Cullen and Hole in the Wall are both 'contra' style
            of ECD, but properly HitW should be done with waltz-like steps and is very Baroque
            in style (and thus OOP, verging on GOOP (true 17th dance has far more in common with
            19th and 20th century dance than pre-1600 dance)) while MLC uses many more elements
            of old style ECD (Set turn singles, stars for 4, heys, etc.).

            Dashing White Seargent is sort of a combination dance - it came into the SCA through
            the movie "Tarzan, the Legend of Greystroke" or something like that, and anything
            made for, used by or associated with hollywood is imediatly suspect. Still it has period
            elements, the STS and heys. There are also elements I now recognize from Irish dance
            (the 3 facing 3 and pass through lines) and at sometime all the dances of the British Isle
            influenced each other. If anybody has ony other info on this dance I'd be intrested.

            Conrad