RE: [CalontirDance] Dances that I think are fun

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 10 12:06 PM
      I'll do How to Run/Plan a Ball over lunch or for a class slot if y'all want.

      Conrad - agreeing on the GOOP elimination :)
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 10 12:15 PM
        I'm only so-so on the elimitnation of stuff we do.
        But I'm fairly hard line on NOT introducing new
        GOOP (Grossly Out Of Period - i.e. 1920's)
        especially to new people.

        I hapilly do Moonshine, Mahri's Wedding and stuff at Crystal Ball -
        if they ever go away I will only be a little bit sad.

        But you won't see them on the ball schedule at lilies. I've even debating
        whether Trenchmore should be on the list.

        The only Scottish dance that feels 'right' is Dashing White Seargent (and
        Bransle de'Eccose of course)

        My Lady Cullen is a great 'new' dance to give contra fans something without
        going Baroque :)

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 10 12:19 PM
          Which version of Whirlygig???
          Long, short or extra short?
          my feeling is that the short one is correct but maybe we could take
          a look at playford to decide?

          Don't hold your breath for the Angus Reel - at least unless
          y'all come the the monthy Ceili in Columbia - one tomorrow night even :)

          Wahoo a create a class session - this is fun!

          1) Heralds in Love is being taught in the Not Period but Dang Fun class
          2) I'll incorporate Hearts Ease and Rufty Tufty
          3) I dont teach Posties since it's grossly out of period - I'll ask Isabeau
          could throw it into the NPBDF class for you though.

          Hmm - bouncy eh? Ever liked Gracca Amorosa? How about Whirlygig? Gratiosa?
          Picking of Sticks? My Lady Cullen?

          Also on the not period but fun track - I bet you'd totally dig Argus Reel as
          well as Dashing White Seargeant. The NPbDF class used to be mine but I've
          passed it off to Isabeau (less my area of interest now and much more up her
          alley) :)

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • pretzelbear@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 10 12:21 PM
            I forgot about Picking of Sticks and Rufty Tufty. Very very fun.

            Sounds like an all around good class. I havn't heard of the others
            but I know you don't reccomend non-fun dances :)

            -Roberto

            --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, "Tsire Tuzevo" <tsire@h...>

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 11 8:21 AM
              Conrad et al

              I was adding ANgus Reel only as a another boing but out of period dance -
              comparing it to posties in that regard -

              Also I meant elimination in the sense that its not on Calontir Ball lists or
              in class sets I teach - not as in elimination from the face of the earth -
              you know I'm not as hard line as all that :)

              YAY for My Lady Cullen - it's got to me my new favorite contra-type thing -
              and yay for Dashing wWHite Seargent - one of my faves in the GOOP category.

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 11 8:50 AM
                Not that this necessarilly applies to Dashing Whit Seargent, but
                there is a great difference in my mind from GOOP to original dance in
                period style, even if they both were written in the 20th century or later.

                Korobushka is the epitiome of GOOP, 20th century (1920's?) dance written for or
                adapted to a Broadway show to either late 19th or early 20th century music
                which a popular poem was set to.

                On the other hand the ECD Tsire wrote a few years ago "Ilyia's something?"
                used elements from "1651" ECD so is a reasonable original dance in period style,
                much better than a modern dance brought in from outside.

                Manshaft Pavane and Heralds in Love are original dances based on period styles,
                but use elements not found in period sources so fall in between. "Period style
                dances with modern elemets" perhaps.

                Other anachronisms are Black Nag (clearly classic ECD in construction, but from the 3rd?
                edition of Playford. My Lady Cullen and Hole in the Wall are both 'contra' style
                of ECD, but properly HitW should be done with waltz-like steps and is very Baroque
                in style (and thus OOP, verging on GOOP (true 17th dance has far more in common with
                19th and 20th century dance than pre-1600 dance)) while MLC uses many more elements
                of old style ECD (Set turn singles, stars for 4, heys, etc.).

                Dashing White Seargent is sort of a combination dance - it came into the SCA through
                the movie "Tarzan, the Legend of Greystroke" or something like that, and anything
                made for, used by or associated with hollywood is imediatly suspect. Still it has period
                elements, the STS and heys. There are also elements I now recognize from Irish dance
                (the 3 facing 3 and pass through lines) and at sometime all the dances of the British Isle
                influenced each other. If anybody has ony other info on this dance I'd be intrested.

                Conrad