RE: [CalontirDance] Dances that I think are fun

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 10, 2005
      OK time to be the evil mean Laurel type :)

      Posties is definately in the "Fun but not even close to period
      dance" category - can we leave it to the Midrealm at Crystal Ball?

      Conrad

      PS for bouncy and energetic, try the La Chirnitana they I plan to
      teach.

      PPS And is the one that should go in the ball list from my class.

      PPPS I think I will do the "How to teach dance" as my second class
      (prefer late in the afternoon for this one).

      Okay, here are the three dances I was able to rattle my brain for,
      that I am not sure would be in any of the other classes or not:

      Heart's Ease is always fun (althought for a long time I thought it
      was heartsies) ;)

      Posties (if I'm getting the name right) is one that's always made me
      smile.

      And in honor of the rest of this event, Herald's in Love is another
      neat dance.

      Tsire, we've danced at the same events many a time, so just be
      creative if these won't fit in that class you wanted to do - or if
      you want to fit more in. I mostly like the bouncey, energetic dances.

      and if I could request Herald's In Love make it into the ball - I
      just think it'd be fitting.

      -Roberto

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 10, 2005
        Wahoo a create a class session - this is fun!

        1) Heralds in Love is being taught in the Not Period but Dang Fun class
        2) I'll incorporate Hearts Ease and Rufty Tufty
        3) I dont teach Posties since it's grossly out of period - I'll ask Isabeau
        could throw it into the NPBDF class for you though.

        Hmm - bouncy eh? Ever liked Gracca Amorosa? How about Whirlygig? Gratiosa?
        Picking of Sticks? My Lady Cullen?

        Also on the not period but fun track - I bet you'd totally dig Argus Reel as
        well as Dashing White Seargeant. The NPbDF class used to be mine but I've
        passed it off to Isabeau (less my area of interest now and much more up her
        alley) :)
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 10, 2005
          I'll do How to Run/Plan a Ball over lunch or for a class slot if y'all want.

          Conrad - agreeing on the GOOP elimination :)
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 10, 2005
            I'm only so-so on the elimitnation of stuff we do.
            But I'm fairly hard line on NOT introducing new
            GOOP (Grossly Out Of Period - i.e. 1920's)
            especially to new people.

            I hapilly do Moonshine, Mahri's Wedding and stuff at Crystal Ball -
            if they ever go away I will only be a little bit sad.

            But you won't see them on the ball schedule at lilies. I've even debating
            whether Trenchmore should be on the list.

            The only Scottish dance that feels 'right' is Dashing White Seargent (and
            Bransle de'Eccose of course)

            My Lady Cullen is a great 'new' dance to give contra fans something without
            going Baroque :)

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 10, 2005
              Which version of Whirlygig???
              Long, short or extra short?
              my feeling is that the short one is correct but maybe we could take
              a look at playford to decide?

              Don't hold your breath for the Angus Reel - at least unless
              y'all come the the monthy Ceili in Columbia - one tomorrow night even :)

              Wahoo a create a class session - this is fun!

              1) Heralds in Love is being taught in the Not Period but Dang Fun class
              2) I'll incorporate Hearts Ease and Rufty Tufty
              3) I dont teach Posties since it's grossly out of period - I'll ask Isabeau
              could throw it into the NPBDF class for you though.

              Hmm - bouncy eh? Ever liked Gracca Amorosa? How about Whirlygig? Gratiosa?
              Picking of Sticks? My Lady Cullen?

              Also on the not period but fun track - I bet you'd totally dig Argus Reel as
              well as Dashing White Seargeant. The NPbDF class used to be mine but I've
              passed it off to Isabeau (less my area of interest now and much more up her
              alley) :)

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • pretzelbear@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 10, 2005
                I forgot about Picking of Sticks and Rufty Tufty. Very very fun.

                Sounds like an all around good class. I havn't heard of the others
                but I know you don't reccomend non-fun dances :)

                -Roberto

                --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, "Tsire Tuzevo" <tsire@h...>

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 11, 2005
                  Conrad et al

                  I was adding ANgus Reel only as a another boing but out of period dance -
                  comparing it to posties in that regard -

                  Also I meant elimination in the sense that its not on Calontir Ball lists or
                  in class sets I teach - not as in elimination from the face of the earth -
                  you know I'm not as hard line as all that :)

                  YAY for My Lady Cullen - it's got to me my new favorite contra-type thing -
                  and yay for Dashing wWHite Seargent - one of my faves in the GOOP category.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 11, 2005
                    Not that this necessarilly applies to Dashing Whit Seargent, but
                    there is a great difference in my mind from GOOP to original dance in
                    period style, even if they both were written in the 20th century or later.

                    Korobushka is the epitiome of GOOP, 20th century (1920's?) dance written for or
                    adapted to a Broadway show to either late 19th or early 20th century music
                    which a popular poem was set to.

                    On the other hand the ECD Tsire wrote a few years ago "Ilyia's something?"
                    used elements from "1651" ECD so is a reasonable original dance in period style,
                    much better than a modern dance brought in from outside.

                    Manshaft Pavane and Heralds in Love are original dances based on period styles,
                    but use elements not found in period sources so fall in between. "Period style
                    dances with modern elemets" perhaps.

                    Other anachronisms are Black Nag (clearly classic ECD in construction, but from the 3rd?
                    edition of Playford. My Lady Cullen and Hole in the Wall are both 'contra' style
                    of ECD, but properly HitW should be done with waltz-like steps and is very Baroque
                    in style (and thus OOP, verging on GOOP (true 17th dance has far more in common with
                    19th and 20th century dance than pre-1600 dance)) while MLC uses many more elements
                    of old style ECD (Set turn singles, stars for 4, heys, etc.).

                    Dashing White Seargent is sort of a combination dance - it came into the SCA through
                    the movie "Tarzan, the Legend of Greystroke" or something like that, and anything
                    made for, used by or associated with hollywood is imediatly suspect. Still it has period
                    elements, the STS and heys. There are also elements I now recognize from Irish dance
                    (the 3 facing 3 and pass through lines) and at sometime all the dances of the British Isle
                    influenced each other. If anybody has ony other info on this dance I'd be intrested.

                    Conrad