Re: Symposium Classes - Preliminary Schedule

  • rowan@french.toast.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 8 8:16 AM
      Roberto,
      In that second room please put down "Not Period but Damn Fun" for
      Isabeau (sp?) - Conrad she's your apprentice how do you spell Bel's
      name? -
      She is not on this list although apperently she's on your Bellewood
      list she said.
      Tsire would your "how to run a ball" be a lunch type class?

      --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, pretzelbear@s... wrote:

      > Here is the first glance at a schedule for dance classes.
      >
      > This weekend I agreed to not start the dance classes until 10. If
      > there is enough interest in a 9 am roundtable discussion on dance,
      we
      > can have one. If someone wants to have an intro to what dance in
      the
      > SCA is, 9 am class, we can have one. So basically if we want to
      have
      > 1 or 2 classes, that are classroom classes not dancing classes,
      that
      > begin at 9 am, LET ME KNOW. I am willing to have them.
      >
      > Also, there will be a room labeled "music room" that will be
      > available all day for musicians to come play in. I figure if we
      get
      > the class list finalized this week, and can put together the ball
      > sets a week or so later, we will have PLENTY of time to ensure the
      > musicians get all the music they need for the ball, and we can have
      > lots of copies for people to practice on through the day.
      >
      > Here's the list of Dance Classroom 1.
      >
      > 10-11 - Introduction to European Dancing - Ldy Marion Forester
      > 11-12 - Beginning French Dance - Seonaid
      > 12-1 - lunch (no instructor ;)
      > 1 - 2 Italian Dance Made Easy - Cathus and Rowan
      > 2 - 3 16th Century Italian - Seonaid
      > 3 - 4 Bransles and English Country Dance - Ldy Marion Forester
      > 4 - 5 Advance English Country - Cathus and Rowan
      >
      > Now, this is just an organization based on the way classes look
      now.
      > If we get other classes and it makes sense to change the grouping,
      by
      > all means we can. But I kind of like the layout of this classroom.
      >
      > I believe there are at least 3 teachers who aren't on the list yet -

      > who have expressed interest in teaching. This would be a good time
      > for either 1) people to suggest classes for them to teach, or 2)
      they

    • rowan@french.toast.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 8 8:21 AM
        > The other thin is that we need a bal list. I think its should be
        drawn
        > from the dances taught here - could we get a few actual dances
        > recommended from each class by its instructor?

        Ball list: Dances from our classes are: Rosti Boli, Petiet Riens,
        Ameroso, Argeers, Newcastle
        Chose any or all but please include rosti boli and argeers -
        musicians like to play them and they are two of my favorite to dance.

        Hey Tsire - what about a Contruposso class - in duo and the others?
        (Cause Controposso in duo is becoming one of my favorite to dances
        too)

        Rowan
        who cant spell and is at work and shouldn't be playing on the lists
        anyway.
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 8 8:21 AM
          >In that second room please put down "Not Period but Damn Fun" for
          >Isabeau (sp?) - Conrad she's your apprentice how do you spell Bel's
          >name? -

          Something 'horribly' french I have to look it up all the time :)
          Isabeau de Beauxyeux

          >She is not on this list although apperently she's on your Bellewood
          >list she said.

          I did forward this to her yesterday.

          Conrad
        • Stewart, Sara
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 8 8:27 AM
            I teach Contrapasso in my 16th century Italian class.
            Seonaid

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 8 8:35 AM
              Hey guys,

              Running a Ball/Dance Event could very well be a lunch discussion :)
              I can do Contrapasso in Due but am not all that familiar with any other
              contrapassi. I'd be happy to throw it into a "Robert likes these and you
              will too - type class" Roberto - tell me 3-6 dances you feel are must know
              and I'll make a class out of that ( so long as none of them are grossly out
              of period - lol) Whatever - I'm flexible *insert bad joke here*

              Tsire
              PS - whos feeling much better now that the snot demons have left her head
            • Stewart, Sara
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 8 8:37 AM
                Dances from my French class are :Causelle, Montard branles, pinagay ,
                scottish branles, Charlotte, and Belle Qui Pavane(Carolingian)
                From the Italian class: Contrapasso in Duo, Ballo del Fiore, Gracca
                Amorosa and if time Bizzaria

                From those, for the ball I would suggest: Belle Qui, montard branles,
                pinagay (because it is cute, and easier than Charlotte), and contrapasso
                at least.

                I would also second Rosti boli

                Thanks,
                Seonaid

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 8 8:38 AM
                  Yay! Petite Riens and Amoroso! We love to play those two. Can we add those
                  two, please? And actually, we don't mind Newcastle, either. :)

                  Conna

                  From: rowan@...
                  Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 16:21:11 -0000
                  To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com

                  > The other thin is that we need a bal list. I think its should be
                  drawn
                  > from the dances taught here - could we get a few actual dances
                  > recommended from each class by its instructor?

                  Ball list: Dances from our classes are: Rosti Boli, Petiet Riens,
                  Ameroso, Argeers, Newcastle
                  Chose any or all but please include rosti boli and argeers -
                  musicians like to play them and they are two of my favorite to dance.

                  Hey Tsire - what about a Contruposso class - in duo and the others?
                  (Cause Controposso in duo is becoming one of my favorite to dances
                  too)

                  Rowan
                  who cant spell and is at work and shouldn't be playing on the lists
                  anyway.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                  To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • rowan@french.toast.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 8 8:53 AM
                    Ok, so far on the requested ball list we have:
                    Belle Qui
                    montard branles
                    pinagay
                    contrapasso in duo
                    rosti boli
                    argeers
                    petite riens
                    amoroso

                    Um...perhaps some other/more ECs would be good ;)
                    And at least one from the not period but damn fun
                    Rowan
                    -"how to make a ball list" - 1) ask musicians and dancers what they
                    really have to have in a ball, 2) pare the list down to 6 sets of
                    10... ;)

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 8 9:40 AM
                      Yay -Seonaid's got Contrapasso and Tsire's off the hook for it. I love it!

                      Tsire

                    • pretzelbear@sbcglobal.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 8 10:41 AM
                        Wow, ummm, damn, I'm honored Tsire. You want me to come up with 3-6
                        dances I like that fall into a period category.

                        Well, crap, can I request people put up a list of what's being taught
                        in their classes, and I will do my best to come up with a fun list.
                        The first two I can think of are in the 'not period but damn fun'
                        listing, but I can think of good fun period dances as well.

                        Gimme a day or two to mull this over.

                        -Roberto

                        --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, "Tsire Tuzevo" <tsire@h...>
                        wrote:

                        > Hey guys,
                        >
                        > Running a Ball/Dance Event could very well be a lunch discussion :)
                        > I can do Contrapasso in Due but am not all that familiar with any
                        other
                        > contrapassi. I'd be happy to throw it into a "Robert likes these
                        and you
                        > will too - type class" Roberto - tell me 3-6 dances you feel are
                        must know
                        > and I'll make a class out of that ( so long as none of them are
                        grossly out
                        > of period - lol) Whatever - I'm flexible *insert bad joke here*
                        >
                        > Tsire
                        > PS - whos feeling much better now that the snot demons have left
                        her head
                      • Malina
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 9 2:16 PM
                          I have been lurking on this list for a bit. But I can't wait for this
                          event. I will finally get to know many of the dancers in Calontir. I
                          am more excited each day.

                          > The other class I am thinking about is "How to teach dance"
                          > would others be interested in that?

                          This is a great idea. I know that I get alot of help from a class such
                          as this. And what about a class on running a ball? Heck, with all the
                          classes that are already being offered, I will be hard pressed to
                          choose just a few. I want to go to them all!!!! lol

                          I have millions of questions and tons of enthusiasm.

                          Malina