Symposium Classes - Preliminary Schedule

  • pretzelbear@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 7, 2005
      Here is the first glance at a schedule for dance classes.

      This weekend I agreed to not start the dance classes until 10. If
      there is enough interest in a 9 am roundtable discussion on dance, we
      can have one. If someone wants to have an intro to what dance in the
      SCA is, 9 am class, we can have one. So basically if we want to have
      1 or 2 classes, that are classroom classes not dancing classes, that
      begin at 9 am, LET ME KNOW. I am willing to have them.

      Also, there will be a room labeled "music room" that will be
      available all day for musicians to come play in. I figure if we get
      the class list finalized this week, and can put together the ball
      sets a week or so later, we will have PLENTY of time to ensure the
      musicians get all the music they need for the ball, and we can have
      lots of copies for people to practice on through the day.

      Here's the list of Dance Classroom 1.

      10-11 - Introduction to European Dancing - Ldy Marion Forester
      11-12 - Beginning French Dance - Seonaid
      12-1 - lunch (no instructor ;)
      1 - 2 Italian Dance Made Easy - Cathus and Rowan
      2 - 3 16th Century Italian - Seonaid
      3 - 4 Bransles and English Country Dance - Ldy Marion Forester
      4 - 5 Advance English Country - Cathus and Rowan

      Now, this is just an organization based on the way classes look now.
      If we get other classes and it makes sense to change the grouping, by
      all means we can. But I kind of like the layout of this classroom.

      I believe there are at least 3 teachers who aren't on the list yet -
      who have expressed interest in teaching. This would be a good time
      for either 1) people to suggest classes for them to teach, or 2) they
      offer classes to teach.

      Thanks.

      I will go into lurking mode until it looks like we're getting a
      concensus on what classes we should offer, then I'll go into
      organizing the ball mode.

      Much appreciation:

      Lord Roberto Carlos Dominguez
      Co-Even Steward - and mildly insane at this point
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 7, 2005
        Itialian Follow the Leader: La+Chirintana and Una Caccia D'Amore

        Other thoughts that came up this weekend.

        Would people like a dance roundtable discussion over lunch?

        The other class I am thinking about is "How to teach dance"
        would others be interested in that?

        The other thin is that we need a bal list. I think its should be drawn
        from the dances taught here - could we get a few actual dances
        recommended from each class by its instructor?

      • rowan@french.toast.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 8, 2005
          Roberto,
          In that second room please put down "Not Period but Damn Fun" for
          Isabeau (sp?) - Conrad she's your apprentice how do you spell Bel's
          name? -
          She is not on this list although apperently she's on your Bellewood
          list she said.
          Tsire would your "how to run a ball" be a lunch type class?

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 8, 2005
            > The other thin is that we need a bal list. I think its should be
            drawn
            > from the dances taught here - could we get a few actual dances
            > recommended from each class by its instructor?

            Ball list: Dances from our classes are: Rosti Boli, Petiet Riens,
            Ameroso, Argeers, Newcastle
            Chose any or all but please include rosti boli and argeers -
            musicians like to play them and they are two of my favorite to dance.

            Hey Tsire - what about a Contruposso class - in duo and the others?
            (Cause Controposso in duo is becoming one of my favorite to dances
            too)

            Rowan
            who cant spell and is at work and shouldn't be playing on the lists
            anyway.
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 8, 2005
              >In that second room please put down "Not Period but Damn Fun" for
              >Isabeau (sp?) - Conrad she's your apprentice how do you spell Bel's
              >name? -

              Something 'horribly' french I have to look it up all the time :)
              Isabeau de Beauxyeux

              >She is not on this list although apperently she's on your Bellewood
              >list she said.

              I did forward this to her yesterday.

              Conrad
            • Stewart, Sara
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 8, 2005
                I teach Contrapasso in my 16th century Italian class.
                Seonaid

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 8, 2005
                  Hey guys,

                  Running a Ball/Dance Event could very well be a lunch discussion :)
                  I can do Contrapasso in Due but am not all that familiar with any other
                  contrapassi. I'd be happy to throw it into a "Robert likes these and you
                  will too - type class" Roberto - tell me 3-6 dances you feel are must know
                  and I'll make a class out of that ( so long as none of them are grossly out
                  of period - lol) Whatever - I'm flexible *insert bad joke here*

                  Tsire
                  PS - whos feeling much better now that the snot demons have left her head
                • Stewart, Sara
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 8, 2005
                    Dances from my French class are :Causelle, Montard branles, pinagay ,
                    scottish branles, Charlotte, and Belle Qui Pavane(Carolingian)
                    From the Italian class: Contrapasso in Duo, Ballo del Fiore, Gracca
                    Amorosa and if time Bizzaria

                    From those, for the ball I would suggest: Belle Qui, montard branles,
                    pinagay (because it is cute, and easier than Charlotte), and contrapasso
                    at least.

                    I would also second Rosti boli

                    Thanks,
                    Seonaid

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 8, 2005
                      Yay! Petite Riens and Amoroso! We love to play those two. Can we add those
                      two, please? And actually, we don't mind Newcastle, either. :)

                      Conna

                      From: rowan@...
                      Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 16:21:11 -0000
                      To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com

                      > The other thin is that we need a bal list. I think its should be
                      drawn
                      > from the dances taught here - could we get a few actual dances
                      > recommended from each class by its instructor?

                      Ball list: Dances from our classes are: Rosti Boli, Petiet Riens,
                      Ameroso, Argeers, Newcastle
                      Chose any or all but please include rosti boli and argeers -
                      musicians like to play them and they are two of my favorite to dance.

                      Hey Tsire - what about a Contruposso class - in duo and the others?
                      (Cause Controposso in duo is becoming one of my favorite to dances
                      too)

                      Rowan
                      who cant spell and is at work and shouldn't be playing on the lists
                      anyway.

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                      To visit your group on the web, go to:

                      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    • rowan@french.toast.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 8, 2005
                        Ok, so far on the requested ball list we have:
                        Belle Qui
                        montard branles
                        pinagay
                        contrapasso in duo
                        rosti boli
                        argeers
                        petite riens
                        amoroso

                        Um...perhaps some other/more ECs would be good ;)
                        And at least one from the not period but damn fun
                        Rowan
                        -"how to make a ball list" - 1) ask musicians and dancers what they
                        really have to have in a ball, 2) pare the list down to 6 sets of
                        10... ;)

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 8, 2005
                          Yay -Seonaid's got Contrapasso and Tsire's off the hook for it. I love it!

                          Tsire

                        • pretzelbear@sbcglobal.net
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 8, 2005
                            Wow, ummm, damn, I'm honored Tsire. You want me to come up with 3-6
                            dances I like that fall into a period category.

                            Well, crap, can I request people put up a list of what's being taught
                            in their classes, and I will do my best to come up with a fun list.
                            The first two I can think of are in the 'not period but damn fun'
                            listing, but I can think of good fun period dances as well.

                            Gimme a day or two to mull this over.

                            -Roberto

                            --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, "Tsire Tuzevo" <tsire@h...>
                            wrote:

                            > Hey guys,
                            >
                            > Running a Ball/Dance Event could very well be a lunch discussion :)
                            > I can do Contrapasso in Due but am not all that familiar with any
                            other
                            > contrapassi. I'd be happy to throw it into a "Robert likes these
                            and you
                            > will too - type class" Roberto - tell me 3-6 dances you feel are
                            must know
                            > and I'll make a class out of that ( so long as none of them are
                            grossly out
                            > of period - lol) Whatever - I'm flexible *insert bad joke here*
                            >
                            > Tsire
                            > PS - whos feeling much better now that the snot demons have left
                            her head
                          • Malina
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 9, 2005
                              I have been lurking on this list for a bit. But I can't wait for this
                              event. I will finally get to know many of the dancers in Calontir. I
                              am more excited each day.

                              > The other class I am thinking about is "How to teach dance"
                              > would others be interested in that?

                              This is a great idea. I know that I get alot of help from a class such
                              as this. And what about a class on running a ball? Heck, with all the
                              classes that are already being offered, I will be hard pressed to
                              choose just a few. I want to go to them all!!!! lol

                              I have millions of questions and tons of enthusiasm.

                              Malina