Re: [CalontirDance] Reilgious music and dance

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2004
      I agree with both Conna and Seonaid that Christian religious music rarely
      follows formed or coreographed dancing (in some cases dancing is a banned
      thing all together, but in most it's just not done to the religious stuff).
      This case is not as true for other religions, *think Hora* but in the
      Christinaity of Rennaisance Europe I'm thinking that dancing, especially
      social dancing, would not have been done to music about the blessed virgin.
      A note on lyrical retread of christian songs:
      There is evidence among the music of the Lutheran Reformation in Germany
      that folk songs, plainchants and basically the popular tunes of the day were
      re-worded with religious text to appeal to the masses. Much like the
      Victorian Ding Dong Merrily becoming a christmas tune, All Green Hills and
      Valleys became All Things That God Graces, and Beautiful Countryside became
      Beautiful Savior, many religious songs are indeed Filks. I suppress laughter
      just thinking of the theme "Lets Filk for Jesus!" So my rambling point is
      that if there is music that we do a dance to that happens to be a familiar
      hymn, look closely at the complosition, arrangement, and lyric dates - the
      text is probably much newer than the tune. Also if the text is as old as the
      music be suspicious that it is appropriate for the social hall - rather than
      for the sanctuary.