Reilgious music and dance

  • Stewart, Sara
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1 2:13 PM
      I have a topic I think both musicians and dancers can participate in.
      I love cantigas, and they are easily danced to ..
      However, given what we know abut dance music of the time (all that I can
      think of have secular titles) and the religious practices, I am unsure
      if they would have ever of danced to a religious song in period.
      On the other hand, there is period music which religious words have been
      applied to.(Ding, Dong Merrily on High). I have no idea when these words
      were added.
      Anyone have any thoughts?

      Seonaid

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2 7:25 AM
        I think you're so right about the religious songs in period.

        I did a quickie search on Ding, Dong Merrily (which, personally, I love),
        and found that the lyrics were added by GR Woodward (1848-1934). I knew the
        lyrics were added post-period, but, frankly, I wouldn't have guessed it was
        _that_ far out of period. Bummer!

        Conna

        From: "Stewart, Sara" <stewarts@...>
        Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:13:15 -0500
        To: <CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [CalontirDance] Reilgious music and dance

        I have a topic I think both musicians and dancers can participate in.
        I love cantigas, and they are easily danced to ..
        However, given what we know abut dance music of the time (all that I can
        think of have secular titles) and the religious practices, I am unsure
        if they would have ever of danced to a religious song in period.
        On the other hand, there is period music which religious words have been
        applied to.(Ding, Dong Merrily on High). I have no idea when these words
        were added.
        Anyone have any thoughts?

        Seonaid

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor document.write('');

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Fuller, Neathery
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2 8:03 AM
          You know, in my music research I am beginning to suspect that the music
          development actually worked the other way around. In the beginning, Church
          music started off as very serious, highly scary. ( Really interesting series
          of lectures on Religiosity in the Middle ages at Pennsic, but I digress).
          The illusion I like is the church singing. No variations on the tune, it
          has to be the same. That is why the Christian church had such a push to
          codify the music.. leading to the need to figure out how to record the
          sounds some how. (Written music, if you think about it is just a way to
          help you remember how a tune you already know goes. Be sure to catch my
          discussion of music theory at the October 30 Rush in Rolla- Crass commercial
          announcement)

          Then, as time passes, things lighten up and "popular" music began to work
          its way into the church music. So, I suspect that the Cantigas that we all
          love so much are a reflection of well loved songs that got canonized into
          the a religious form.

          A modern example, (sorry it is the teacher coming out in me!) might be the
          fun drinking song that has now changed into our very serious, National Pride
          inspiring Star Spangled Banner. Do we sing it and immediately want a pint,
          maybe... but I bet the people who sang it when it was first introduced had
          to smile a bit!

          Love Neathery of Safita
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2 8:09 AM
            I agree with both Conna and Seonaid that Christian religious music rarely
            follows formed or coreographed dancing (in some cases dancing is a banned
            thing all together, but in most it's just not done to the religious stuff).
            This case is not as true for other religions, *think Hora* but in the
            Christinaity of Rennaisance Europe I'm thinking that dancing, especially
            social dancing, would not have been done to music about the blessed virgin.
            A note on lyrical retread of christian songs:
            There is evidence among the music of the Lutheran Reformation in Germany
            that folk songs, plainchants and basically the popular tunes of the day were
            re-worded with religious text to appeal to the masses. Much like the
            Victorian Ding Dong Merrily becoming a christmas tune, All Green Hills and
            Valleys became All Things That God Graces, and Beautiful Countryside became
            Beautiful Savior, many religious songs are indeed Filks. I suppress laughter
            just thinking of the theme "Lets Filk for Jesus!" So my rambling point is
            that if there is music that we do a dance to that happens to be a familiar
            hymn, look closely at the complosition, arrangement, and lyric dates - the
            text is probably much newer than the tune. Also if the text is as old as the
            music be suspicious that it is appropriate for the social hall - rather than
            for the sanctuary.