Re: [CalontirDance] Wha's up?

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
      You want a Cantiga de Santa Maria? I'm all over it! I can't get enough of
      'em. (And Mary and Gin & Tonic, all in one tune--I love it!! Two great
      things that go great together!)

      And Pease bransle is a great idea! I'm on that one, too.

      Katriana or Neathery, any chance you have a copy of the new, improved
      version of Ly Bens from this year's Pennsic Pile? (But dancers, you should
      expect a repeat of the old version of Ly Bens at this year's Crystal Ball.)

      Conna

      From: "Sauer, Michael F." <sauerm@...>
      Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:14:36 -0500
      To: <CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] Wha's up?

      Hi All

      Befor you all go out an learn Ly Bens, fresh from Pennsic
      is a new version. Seems a repeat was left out in the music
      commonly known (and on the Dragonscales CD), can't tell you exactly
      where but now there are 2 very different versions - it was interesting
      to see who went to the dance classes and knew it and those that didn't.

      Also a new request, Cantiga de Santa Maria 119. A version can be
      found on the second Wolgemut CD, for tempo. This was used very nice
      for a new dnace Kirantana (sp???) also know as "Gin and Tonic".
      Real easy and lots of fun, a period "Trenchmore".

      From: "Valdemar & Constantia" <ironfist@...>
      Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:10:03 -0500
      To: "Calontirdance" <calontirdance@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [CalontirDance] Wha's up?

      So I basically just wrote to chat.
      I got some music ideas to throw around.
      Conna and Katriana have been playing ball music for years and know much of
      it by heart, without reading it.
      Even I, who avoid most ball settings, know most of it by heart now.
      So does Lucia.
      That's four musicians right there. I would be willing to bet Neathery knows
      a bunch by heart.
      That's five.
      I am sure there are more.

      So, you dance people, what are your top twenty dance picks for roving dance
      parties.
      This is about Lilies mostly, but, Gosh Darn - we could do it at ANY war!
      Freaky.

      You know, I'm thinking dances that are easiest to do/teach in a
      low-lighting, unpaved and possibly low sobrietied environment.

      Memorization of the most desirable songs would
      make roving dance parties a bit more spontaneous for us musicians, by far.
      What ya say musicians? Dancers?
      I'm counting on dancers for song suggestions, and musicians for general
      input on do-ability and interest.

      Anybody got anything out there for me?
      Love, Constantia

      ---

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • Valdemar & Constantia
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
        Right ON Conrad!
        Any Cantiga de Santa Maria is right up my alley,
        and with the Gin and Tonic dance to BOOT!!!
        You are my new favorite hero and soul mate.
        Huh, whodathunkit...
        love, Constantia

        From: "Valdemar & Constantia" <ironfist@...>
        Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:10:03 -0500
        To: "Calontirdance" <calontirdance@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        ---
      • Evelyn Alden
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
          "old" Ly Bens

          "A" music
          "B" music
          "A" music

          The "new" Ly Bens
          "A" music
          "B" music
          "B" music
          "A" music

          And, as near as I could tell from watching, the steps
          just add another "B" section also, just reversing who
          goes which way.

          I'll try to get the new version uploaded into the
          files, but, really, the middle part just repeats now.

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
            "old" Ly Bens

            "A" music
            "B" music
            "A" music

            The "new" Ly Bens
            "A" music
            "B" music
            "B" music
            "A" music

            >And, as near as I could tell from watching, the steps
            >just add another "B" section also, just reversing who
            >goes which way.

            From a dance POV the singles are slower and there's this whole
            turn to switch positions thing too.
          • Paul Byers
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
              >and with the Gin and Tonic dance to BOOT!!!

              What Gin and Tonic dance?

              Pav

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                Hey Pav

                A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,
                that's a total guess at the spelling. When the instructor
                was saying the name its sort of sounded like 'Gin and Tonic'
                and with learning several new dance names it kind of stuck,
                we also had Vanilla and Cachetori in our food series of new
                dances.

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 1 11:53 AM
                  > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                  Chirintana
                  Chiaranzana
                  http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • Stewart, Sara
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 1 12:48 PM
                    But doesn't Chiaranzana have its own music. I think I have a copy of it
                    on one of my CDs. Why do they use a cantiga?
                    Seonaid

                    ________________________________

                    > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                    Chirintana
                    Chiaranzana
                    http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    click here
                    <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129790fjn/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                    D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094151221/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                    p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                    s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=338627225>

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 1 12:53 PM
                      It was available?

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 1 1:00 PM
                        Balli e Balletti da Ballare: Danses de la Renaissance Italien. Atelier
                        Danse/Claude Flagel
                        ADDA Distribution, 1987. FM 581071. CD (Also distributed by Qualiton
                        Imports as "Italian Dance Music of the Renaissance".)
                        I don't know if it is danceable , not having done the dance.
                        And the sheet music is available.

                        ________________________________

                        > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                        Chirintana
                        Chiaranzana
                        http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        click here
                        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129790fjn/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                        D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094151221/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                        p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                        s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=338627225>

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        click here
                        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12929ced3/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                        D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094154808/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*htt
                        p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298>

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                        s/S=:HM/A=2319498/rand=697192870>

                      • Stewart, Sara
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 1 1:18 PM
                          Sorry got confused.
                          Chirintana is a fifteenth century Italian dance from Ebreo(?). There is
                          sheet music, but I don't know if there is other music.
                          Chiaranzana is a 16th century Italian from Caroso. This is the one I
                          have a recording of.

                          Was this it Conrad:(This is the 15th century one)
                          Chirintana (6 couples holding hands one after another)
                          (

                          --- in 4 (whole dance) ---

                          Intro Continenza L,R,L,R - repeat as often as musician wants
                          (or x2)

                          Weave 1 (same as in Trenchmore) (32 bars of music)

                          2 piva = front couple turns without dropping hands

                          2 piva for each of following switches, holding partners
                          hand.

                          Couple 1 ducks under arms of Couple 2

                          Couple 3 ducks under Couple 1 as Couple 2 turns

                          Couple 1 under 4, Couple 2 under 4, etc.

                          Each Couple starts when Couple 1 reaches them. Always
                          come from the top by

                          ducking under. Keep going until back to place (Couple 1
                          will finish 8 bars before

                          last finishes)

                          Chorus 4 salterelli circling partner (no hands)

                          Weave 2 The first Couple stayed on the wrong side, and now start a
                          circular hey. The

                          Women go clockwise around the circle, the men go ccw.
                          ie the 1st man starts

                          down the women's line, all the men following him, while
                          the women go down the

                          men's line.

                          Two pive for each pass, start passing R.

                          Repeat Chorus

                          Brigamania (Same music as weave plus chorus)

                          Couples all link up into one line, and bransle around
                          the hall.

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 1 1:27 PM
                            I though it was 15th, but the steps are generic.

                            Its for as many as will, has 3 badic figures
                            a procession forward, a snake hey and a set of pivas
                            in one big line.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 1 1:34 PM
                              Yeah that sounds like it must be it. I imagine if you extend the music
                              it can be for as many as will.

                              ________________________________

                              > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                              Chirintana
                              Chiaranzana
                              http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                              click here
                              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129790fjn/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                              D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094151221/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                              p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                              s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=338627225>

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                              click here
                              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129i8apj4/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                              D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094156836/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                              p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                              s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=532846065>