Re: [CalontirDance] Wha's up?

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
      Yeah--I could learn Ly Bens. It would be a nice change of pace from (my
      all-time, but dangerous on wet ground, favorite--Petit Riens).

      Conna

      From: "Valdemar & Constantia" <ironfist@...>
      Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:10:03 -0500
      To: "Calontirdance" <calontirdance@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [CalontirDance] Wha's up?

      So I basically just wrote to chat.
      I got some music ideas to throw around.
      Conna and Katriana have been playing ball music for years and know much of
      it by heart, without reading it.
      Even I, who avoid most ball settings, know most of it by heart now.
      So does Lucia.
      That's four musicians right there. I would be willing to bet Neathery knows
      a bunch by heart.
      That's five.
      I am sure there are more.

      So, you dance people, what are your top twenty dance picks for roving dance
      parties.
      This is about Lilies mostly, but, Gosh Darn - we could do it at ANY war!
      Freaky.

      You know, I'm thinking dances that are easiest to do/teach in a
      low-lighting, unpaved and possibly low sobrietied environment.

      Memorization of the most desirable songs would
      make roving dance parties a bit more spontaneous for us musicians, by far.
      What ya say musicians? Dancers?
      I'm counting on dancers for song suggestions, and musicians for general
      input on do-ability and interest.

      Anybody got anything out there for me?
      Love, Constantia

      ---

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • Stewart, Sara
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
        Ly Bens would be a good one, as would Petit Riens. Some branles wuld be
        good and easy to teach (Montarde is a good one for teaching people,
        Pease branles is easy to drag new people through as well). Gathering
        peascods is a good english country dance that any number of people coud
        do.
        Other than that any dances we do at the ball we could do roving, though
        some would have less dancers that know it then others.
        This sounds like a great idea.
        Seonaid

        ________________________________

        From: "Valdemar & Constantia" <ironfist@...>
        Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:10:03 -0500
        To: "Calontirdance" <calontirdance@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        click here
        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129rr81rd/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
        D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1093957691/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*htt
        p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
        s/S=:HM/A=2319498/rand=215404623>

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
          Hi All

          Befor you all go out an learn Ly Bens, fresh from Pennsic
          is a new version. Seems a repeat was left out in the music
          commonly known (and on the Dragonscales CD), can't tell you exactly
          where but now there are 2 very different versions - it was interesting
          to see who went to the dance classes and knew it and those that didn't.

          Also a new request, Cantiga de Santa Maria 119. A version can be
          found on the second Wolgemut CD, for tempo. This was used very nice
          for a new dnace Kirantana (sp???) also know as "Gin and Tonic".
          Real easy and lots of fun, a period "Trenchmore".

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
            You want a Cantiga de Santa Maria? I'm all over it! I can't get enough of
            'em. (And Mary and Gin & Tonic, all in one tune--I love it!! Two great
            things that go great together!)

            And Pease bransle is a great idea! I'm on that one, too.

            Katriana or Neathery, any chance you have a copy of the new, improved
            version of Ly Bens from this year's Pennsic Pile? (But dancers, you should
            expect a repeat of the old version of Ly Bens at this year's Crystal Ball.)

            Conna

            From: "Valdemar & Constantia" <ironfist@...>
            Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:10:03 -0500
            To: "Calontirdance" <calontirdance@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

          • Valdemar & Constantia
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
              Right ON Conrad!
              Any Cantiga de Santa Maria is right up my alley,
              and with the Gin and Tonic dance to BOOT!!!
              You are my new favorite hero and soul mate.
              Huh, whodathunkit...
              love, Constantia

              From: "Valdemar & Constantia" <ironfist@...>
              Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:10:03 -0500
              To: "Calontirdance" <calontirdance@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

              Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

              ---
            • Evelyn Alden
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                "old" Ly Bens

                "A" music
                "B" music
                "A" music

                The "new" Ly Bens
                "A" music
                "B" music
                "B" music
                "A" music

                And, as near as I could tell from watching, the steps
                just add another "B" section also, just reversing who
                goes which way.

                I'll try to get the new version uploaded into the
                files, but, really, the middle part just repeats now.

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                  "old" Ly Bens

                  "A" music
                  "B" music
                  "A" music

                  The "new" Ly Bens
                  "A" music
                  "B" music
                  "B" music
                  "A" music

                  >And, as near as I could tell from watching, the steps
                  >just add another "B" section also, just reversing who
                  >goes which way.

                  From a dance POV the singles are slower and there's this whole
                  turn to switch positions thing too.
                • Paul Byers
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                    >and with the Gin and Tonic dance to BOOT!!!

                    What Gin and Tonic dance?

                    Pav

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                      Hey Pav

                      A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,
                      that's a total guess at the spelling. When the instructor
                      was saying the name its sort of sounded like 'Gin and Tonic'
                      and with learning several new dance names it kind of stuck,
                      we also had Vanilla and Cachetori in our food series of new
                      dances.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                        > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                        Chirintana
                        Chiaranzana
                        http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                          But doesn't Chiaranzana have its own music. I think I have a copy of it
                          on one of my CDs. Why do they use a cantiga?
                          Seonaid

                          ________________________________

                          > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                          Chirintana
                          Chiaranzana
                          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                          click here
                          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129790fjn/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                          D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094151221/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                          p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                          s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=338627225>

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                            It was available?

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                              Balli e Balletti da Ballare: Danses de la Renaissance Italien. Atelier
                              Danse/Claude Flagel
                              ADDA Distribution, 1987. FM 581071. CD (Also distributed by Qualiton
                              Imports as "Italian Dance Music of the Renaissance".)
                              I don't know if it is danceable , not having done the dance.
                              And the sheet music is available.

                              ________________________________

                              > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                              Chirintana
                              Chiaranzana
                              http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                              click here
                              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129790fjn/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                              D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094151221/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                              p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                              s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=338627225>

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                              click here
                              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12929ced3/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                              D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094154808/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*htt
                              p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298>

                              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                              s/S=:HM/A=2319498/rand=697192870>

                            • Stewart, Sara
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                                Sorry got confused.
                                Chirintana is a fifteenth century Italian dance from Ebreo(?). There is
                                sheet music, but I don't know if there is other music.
                                Chiaranzana is a 16th century Italian from Caroso. This is the one I
                                have a recording of.

                                Was this it Conrad:(This is the 15th century one)
                                Chirintana (6 couples holding hands one after another)
                                (

                                --- in 4 (whole dance) ---

                                Intro Continenza L,R,L,R - repeat as often as musician wants
                                (or x2)

                                Weave 1 (same as in Trenchmore) (32 bars of music)

                                2 piva = front couple turns without dropping hands

                                2 piva for each of following switches, holding partners
                                hand.

                                Couple 1 ducks under arms of Couple 2

                                Couple 3 ducks under Couple 1 as Couple 2 turns

                                Couple 1 under 4, Couple 2 under 4, etc.

                                Each Couple starts when Couple 1 reaches them. Always
                                come from the top by

                                ducking under. Keep going until back to place (Couple 1
                                will finish 8 bars before

                                last finishes)

                                Chorus 4 salterelli circling partner (no hands)

                                Weave 2 The first Couple stayed on the wrong side, and now start a
                                circular hey. The

                                Women go clockwise around the circle, the men go ccw.
                                ie the 1st man starts

                                down the women's line, all the men following him, while
                                the women go down the

                                men's line.

                                Two pive for each pass, start passing R.

                                Repeat Chorus

                                Brigamania (Same music as weave plus chorus)

                                Couples all link up into one line, and bransle around
                                the hall.

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                                  I though it was 15th, but the steps are generic.

                                  Its for as many as will, has 3 badic figures
                                  a procession forward, a snake hey and a set of pivas
                                  in one big line.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                                    Yeah that sounds like it must be it. I imagine if you extend the music
                                    it can be for as many as will.

                                    ________________________________

                                    > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                                    Chirintana
                                    Chiaranzana
                                    http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                    click here
                                    <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129790fjn/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                                    D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094151221/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                                    p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                                    s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=338627225>

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                    click here
                                    <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129i8apj4/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                                    D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094156836/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                                    p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                                    s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=532846065>