RE: [CalontirDance] Wha's up?

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 29, 2004
      Hey all

      Rock on Rove on!

      Ly Bens Dystonis is easy as all get out to teach even lass than sober
      (accidentally proved that in Meridies last year0 OOPS!) and I think I put a
      my faves in all categories list up a little while ago. If you want my hit
      parade look at Lilies ball from the last three or four years. Thats a set
      list of my faves, plus kingdom faves, plus easy to do, plus newer evil that
      I want to bring to the popular consciosness. Bwa haha!
      I'd try to tach about anything in any conditions but would concded that heys
      and serious skipping can be tough on wet grass in the dark. Then again -
      -its dark so who cares if you fall over right?

      This is sucha cool thing - I cant wait till it's just 'what is done' for
      there to be roving dance at any sufficient sized gathering of Calontiri.

      Tsire -delirious for dance debacles -Tuzevo

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
        Yeah--I could learn Ly Bens. It would be a nice change of pace from (my
        all-time, but dangerous on wet ground, favorite--Petit Riens).

        Conna

        From: "Valdemar & Constantia" <ironfist@...>
        Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:10:03 -0500
        To: "Calontirdance" <calontirdance@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [CalontirDance] Wha's up?

        So I basically just wrote to chat.
        I got some music ideas to throw around.
        Conna and Katriana have been playing ball music for years and know much of
        it by heart, without reading it.
        Even I, who avoid most ball settings, know most of it by heart now.
        So does Lucia.
        That's four musicians right there. I would be willing to bet Neathery knows
        a bunch by heart.
        That's five.
        I am sure there are more.

        So, you dance people, what are your top twenty dance picks for roving dance
        parties.
        This is about Lilies mostly, but, Gosh Darn - we could do it at ANY war!
        Freaky.

        You know, I'm thinking dances that are easiest to do/teach in a
        low-lighting, unpaved and possibly low sobrietied environment.

        Memorization of the most desirable songs would
        make roving dance parties a bit more spontaneous for us musicians, by far.
        What ya say musicians? Dancers?
        I'm counting on dancers for song suggestions, and musicians for general
        input on do-ability and interest.

        Anybody got anything out there for me?
        Love, Constantia

        ---

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Stewart, Sara
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
          Ly Bens would be a good one, as would Petit Riens. Some branles wuld be
          good and easy to teach (Montarde is a good one for teaching people,
          Pease branles is easy to drag new people through as well). Gathering
          peascods is a good english country dance that any number of people coud
          do.
          Other than that any dances we do at the ball we could do roving, though
          some would have less dancers that know it then others.
          This sounds like a great idea.
          Seonaid

          ________________________________

          From: "Valdemar & Constantia" <ironfist@...>
          Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:10:03 -0500
          To: "Calontirdance" <calontirdance@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          click here
          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129rr81rd/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
          D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1093957691/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*htt
          p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
          s/S=:HM/A=2319498/rand=215404623>

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
            Hi All

            Befor you all go out an learn Ly Bens, fresh from Pennsic
            is a new version. Seems a repeat was left out in the music
            commonly known (and on the Dragonscales CD), can't tell you exactly
            where but now there are 2 very different versions - it was interesting
            to see who went to the dance classes and knew it and those that didn't.

            Also a new request, Cantiga de Santa Maria 119. A version can be
            found on the second Wolgemut CD, for tempo. This was used very nice
            for a new dnace Kirantana (sp???) also know as "Gin and Tonic".
            Real easy and lots of fun, a period "Trenchmore".

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
              You want a Cantiga de Santa Maria? I'm all over it! I can't get enough of
              'em. (And Mary and Gin & Tonic, all in one tune--I love it!! Two great
              things that go great together!)

              And Pease bransle is a great idea! I'm on that one, too.

              Katriana or Neathery, any chance you have a copy of the new, improved
              version of Ly Bens from this year's Pennsic Pile? (But dancers, you should
              expect a repeat of the old version of Ly Bens at this year's Crystal Ball.)

              Conna

              From: "Valdemar & Constantia" <ironfist@...>
              Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:10:03 -0500
              To: "Calontirdance" <calontirdance@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

            • Valdemar & Constantia
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                Right ON Conrad!
                Any Cantiga de Santa Maria is right up my alley,
                and with the Gin and Tonic dance to BOOT!!!
                You are my new favorite hero and soul mate.
                Huh, whodathunkit...
                love, Constantia

                From: "Valdemar & Constantia" <ironfist@...>
                Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:10:03 -0500
                To: "Calontirdance" <calontirdance@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

                Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                ---
              • Evelyn Alden
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                  "old" Ly Bens

                  "A" music
                  "B" music
                  "A" music

                  The "new" Ly Bens
                  "A" music
                  "B" music
                  "B" music
                  "A" music

                  And, as near as I could tell from watching, the steps
                  just add another "B" section also, just reversing who
                  goes which way.

                  I'll try to get the new version uploaded into the
                  files, but, really, the middle part just repeats now.

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                    "old" Ly Bens

                    "A" music
                    "B" music
                    "A" music

                    The "new" Ly Bens
                    "A" music
                    "B" music
                    "B" music
                    "A" music

                    >And, as near as I could tell from watching, the steps
                    >just add another "B" section also, just reversing who
                    >goes which way.

                    From a dance POV the singles are slower and there's this whole
                    turn to switch positions thing too.
                  • Paul Byers
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                      >and with the Gin and Tonic dance to BOOT!!!

                      What Gin and Tonic dance?

                      Pav

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                        Hey Pav

                        A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,
                        that's a total guess at the spelling. When the instructor
                        was saying the name its sort of sounded like 'Gin and Tonic'
                        and with learning several new dance names it kind of stuck,
                        we also had Vanilla and Cachetori in our food series of new
                        dances.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                          > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                          Chirintana
                          Chiaranzana
                          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                            But doesn't Chiaranzana have its own music. I think I have a copy of it
                            on one of my CDs. Why do they use a cantiga?
                            Seonaid

                            ________________________________

                            > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                            Chirintana
                            Chiaranzana
                            http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            click here
                            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129790fjn/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                            D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094151221/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                            p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                            s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=338627225>

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                              It was available?

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                                Balli e Balletti da Ballare: Danses de la Renaissance Italien. Atelier
                                Danse/Claude Flagel
                                ADDA Distribution, 1987. FM 581071. CD (Also distributed by Qualiton
                                Imports as "Italian Dance Music of the Renaissance".)
                                I don't know if it is danceable , not having done the dance.
                                And the sheet music is available.

                                ________________________________

                                > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                                Chirintana
                                Chiaranzana
                                http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                click here
                                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129790fjn/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                                D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094151221/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                                p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                                s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=338627225>

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                click here
                                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12929ced3/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                                D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094154808/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*htt
                                p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298>

                                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                                s/S=:HM/A=2319498/rand=697192870>

                              • Stewart, Sara
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                                  Sorry got confused.
                                  Chirintana is a fifteenth century Italian dance from Ebreo(?). There is
                                  sheet music, but I don't know if there is other music.
                                  Chiaranzana is a 16th century Italian from Caroso. This is the one I
                                  have a recording of.

                                  Was this it Conrad:(This is the 15th century one)
                                  Chirintana (6 couples holding hands one after another)
                                  (

                                  --- in 4 (whole dance) ---

                                  Intro Continenza L,R,L,R - repeat as often as musician wants
                                  (or x2)

                                  Weave 1 (same as in Trenchmore) (32 bars of music)

                                  2 piva = front couple turns without dropping hands

                                  2 piva for each of following switches, holding partners
                                  hand.

                                  Couple 1 ducks under arms of Couple 2

                                  Couple 3 ducks under Couple 1 as Couple 2 turns

                                  Couple 1 under 4, Couple 2 under 4, etc.

                                  Each Couple starts when Couple 1 reaches them. Always
                                  come from the top by

                                  ducking under. Keep going until back to place (Couple 1
                                  will finish 8 bars before

                                  last finishes)

                                  Chorus 4 salterelli circling partner (no hands)

                                  Weave 2 The first Couple stayed on the wrong side, and now start a
                                  circular hey. The

                                  Women go clockwise around the circle, the men go ccw.
                                  ie the 1st man starts

                                  down the women's line, all the men following him, while
                                  the women go down the

                                  men's line.

                                  Two pive for each pass, start passing R.

                                  Repeat Chorus

                                  Brigamania (Same music as weave plus chorus)

                                  Couples all link up into one line, and bransle around
                                  the hall.

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                                    I though it was 15th, but the steps are generic.

                                    Its for as many as will, has 3 badic figures
                                    a procession forward, a snake hey and a set of pivas
                                    in one big line.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                                      Yeah that sounds like it must be it. I imagine if you extend the music
                                      it can be for as many as will.

                                      ________________________________

                                      > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                                      Chirintana
                                      Chiaranzana
                                      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                      click here
                                      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129790fjn/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                                      D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094151221/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                                      p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                                      s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=338627225>

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                      click here
                                      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129i8apj4/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                                      D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094156836/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                                      p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                                      s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=532846065>