RE: [CalontirDance] Wha's up?

  • Fuller, Neathery
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 29, 2004
      Constance. You are absolutely the best. This is the way dance music
      should be performed, because if we knew it by heart we could have fun doing
      improvisation on our parts. I have most of the hit parade memorized. You
      rock girl. Let's get to roving.

      Neathery

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 29, 2004
        Hey all

        Rock on Rove on!

        Ly Bens Dystonis is easy as all get out to teach even lass than sober
        (accidentally proved that in Meridies last year0 OOPS!) and I think I put a
        my faves in all categories list up a little while ago. If you want my hit
        parade look at Lilies ball from the last three or four years. Thats a set
        list of my faves, plus kingdom faves, plus easy to do, plus newer evil that
        I want to bring to the popular consciosness. Bwa haha!
        I'd try to tach about anything in any conditions but would concded that heys
        and serious skipping can be tough on wet grass in the dark. Then again -
        -its dark so who cares if you fall over right?

        This is sucha cool thing - I cant wait till it's just 'what is done' for
        there to be roving dance at any sufficient sized gathering of Calontiri.

        Tsire -delirious for dance debacles -Tuzevo

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
          Yeah--I could learn Ly Bens. It would be a nice change of pace from (my
          all-time, but dangerous on wet ground, favorite--Petit Riens).

          Conna

          From: "Valdemar & Constantia" <ironfist@...>
          Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:10:03 -0500
          To: "Calontirdance" <calontirdance@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

          ---

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Stewart, Sara
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
            Ly Bens would be a good one, as would Petit Riens. Some branles wuld be
            good and easy to teach (Montarde is a good one for teaching people,
            Pease branles is easy to drag new people through as well). Gathering
            peascods is a good english country dance that any number of people coud
            do.
            Other than that any dances we do at the ball we could do roving, though
            some would have less dancers that know it then others.
            This sounds like a great idea.
            Seonaid

            ________________________________

            From: "Valdemar & Constantia" <ironfist@...>
            Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:10:03 -0500
            To: "Calontirdance" <calontirdance@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            click here
            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129rr81rd/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
            D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1093957691/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*htt
            p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
            s/S=:HM/A=2319498/rand=215404623>

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
              Hi All

              Befor you all go out an learn Ly Bens, fresh from Pennsic
              is a new version. Seems a repeat was left out in the music
              commonly known (and on the Dragonscales CD), can't tell you exactly
              where but now there are 2 very different versions - it was interesting
              to see who went to the dance classes and knew it and those that didn't.

              Also a new request, Cantiga de Santa Maria 119. A version can be
              found on the second Wolgemut CD, for tempo. This was used very nice
              for a new dnace Kirantana (sp???) also know as "Gin and Tonic".
              Real easy and lots of fun, a period "Trenchmore".

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                You want a Cantiga de Santa Maria? I'm all over it! I can't get enough of
                'em. (And Mary and Gin & Tonic, all in one tune--I love it!! Two great
                things that go great together!)

                And Pease bransle is a great idea! I'm on that one, too.

                Katriana or Neathery, any chance you have a copy of the new, improved
                version of Ly Bens from this year's Pennsic Pile? (But dancers, you should
                expect a repeat of the old version of Ly Bens at this year's Crystal Ball.)

                Conna

                From: "Valdemar & Constantia" <ironfist@...>
                Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:10:03 -0500
                To: "Calontirdance" <calontirdance@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

              • Valdemar & Constantia
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                  Right ON Conrad!
                  Any Cantiga de Santa Maria is right up my alley,
                  and with the Gin and Tonic dance to BOOT!!!
                  You are my new favorite hero and soul mate.
                  Huh, whodathunkit...
                  love, Constantia

                  From: "Valdemar & Constantia" <ironfist@...>
                  Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:10:03 -0500
                  To: "Calontirdance" <calontirdance@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

                  Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                  ---
                • Evelyn Alden
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                    "old" Ly Bens

                    "A" music
                    "B" music
                    "A" music

                    The "new" Ly Bens
                    "A" music
                    "B" music
                    "B" music
                    "A" music

                    And, as near as I could tell from watching, the steps
                    just add another "B" section also, just reversing who
                    goes which way.

                    I'll try to get the new version uploaded into the
                    files, but, really, the middle part just repeats now.

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                      "old" Ly Bens

                      "A" music
                      "B" music
                      "A" music

                      The "new" Ly Bens
                      "A" music
                      "B" music
                      "B" music
                      "A" music

                      >And, as near as I could tell from watching, the steps
                      >just add another "B" section also, just reversing who
                      >goes which way.

                      From a dance POV the singles are slower and there's this whole
                      turn to switch positions thing too.
                    • Paul Byers
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                        >and with the Gin and Tonic dance to BOOT!!!

                        What Gin and Tonic dance?

                        Pav

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                          Hey Pav

                          A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,
                          that's a total guess at the spelling. When the instructor
                          was saying the name its sort of sounded like 'Gin and Tonic'
                          and with learning several new dance names it kind of stuck,
                          we also had Vanilla and Cachetori in our food series of new
                          dances.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                            > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                            Chirintana
                            Chiaranzana
                            http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                              But doesn't Chiaranzana have its own music. I think I have a copy of it
                              on one of my CDs. Why do they use a cantiga?
                              Seonaid

                              ________________________________

                              > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                              Chirintana
                              Chiaranzana
                              http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                              click here
                              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129790fjn/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                              D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094151221/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                              p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                              s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=338627225>

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                                It was available?

                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                                  Balli e Balletti da Ballare: Danses de la Renaissance Italien. Atelier
                                  Danse/Claude Flagel
                                  ADDA Distribution, 1987. FM 581071. CD (Also distributed by Qualiton
                                  Imports as "Italian Dance Music of the Renaissance".)
                                  I don't know if it is danceable , not having done the dance.
                                  And the sheet music is available.

                                  ________________________________

                                  > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                                  Chirintana
                                  Chiaranzana
                                  http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                  click here
                                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129790fjn/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                                  D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094151221/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                                  p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                                  s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=338627225>

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                  click here
                                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12929ced3/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                                  D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094154808/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*htt
                                  p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298>

                                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                                  s/S=:HM/A=2319498/rand=697192870>

                                • Stewart, Sara
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                                    Sorry got confused.
                                    Chirintana is a fifteenth century Italian dance from Ebreo(?). There is
                                    sheet music, but I don't know if there is other music.
                                    Chiaranzana is a 16th century Italian from Caroso. This is the one I
                                    have a recording of.

                                    Was this it Conrad:(This is the 15th century one)
                                    Chirintana (6 couples holding hands one after another)
                                    (

                                    --- in 4 (whole dance) ---

                                    Intro Continenza L,R,L,R - repeat as often as musician wants
                                    (or x2)

                                    Weave 1 (same as in Trenchmore) (32 bars of music)

                                    2 piva = front couple turns without dropping hands

                                    2 piva for each of following switches, holding partners
                                    hand.

                                    Couple 1 ducks under arms of Couple 2

                                    Couple 3 ducks under Couple 1 as Couple 2 turns

                                    Couple 1 under 4, Couple 2 under 4, etc.

                                    Each Couple starts when Couple 1 reaches them. Always
                                    come from the top by

                                    ducking under. Keep going until back to place (Couple 1
                                    will finish 8 bars before

                                    last finishes)

                                    Chorus 4 salterelli circling partner (no hands)

                                    Weave 2 The first Couple stayed on the wrong side, and now start a
                                    circular hey. The

                                    Women go clockwise around the circle, the men go ccw.
                                    ie the 1st man starts

                                    down the women's line, all the men following him, while
                                    the women go down the

                                    men's line.

                                    Two pive for each pass, start passing R.

                                    Repeat Chorus

                                    Brigamania (Same music as weave plus chorus)

                                    Couples all link up into one line, and bransle around
                                    the hall.

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                                      I though it was 15th, but the steps are generic.

                                      Its for as many as will, has 3 badic figures
                                      a procession forward, a snake hey and a set of pivas
                                      in one big line.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                                        Yeah that sounds like it must be it. I imagine if you extend the music
                                        it can be for as many as will.

                                        ________________________________

                                        > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                                        Chirintana
                                        Chiaranzana
                                        http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                        click here
                                        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129790fjn/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                                        D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094151221/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                                        p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                                        s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=338627225>

                                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                        click here
                                        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129i8apj4/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                                        D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094156836/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                                        p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                                        s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=532846065>