Re: Coronation Ball

  • Katriana
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
      Hey, another question. Does anybody have a good tape player (or better
      yet, a cd player)? I'll bring sheet music and hope, but better to be
      prepared. Conrad, you'll be willing to teach, right? I've seen the
      Italian dances, but only danced a couple.

      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
        >Sorry I haven't been posting, Ragweed season hit me like a sledgehammer.
        I was beginning to wonder :)

        >How does this look for a ball list for Coronation?
        >Maanshaft (T)
        >Calontir Branle (T)
        >Gelosia (CD)
        >Petit Riense (CD)

        >Amoroso (CD)
        >Official's Branle (T & CD)
        >Jenny Pluck Pears (T & CD)
        >Rufty Tufty (CD)

        >Carolingian (T & CD)
        >Il Piantone (Pinwheel thing) (Nope)
        >SCA Maltese (T & CD)
        >Black Nag (T & CD)

        >Black Almain (T I think)
        >Gathering Peascods (T)
        >Saltarello de la regina (T and record)
        >Candlestick Branle or Ballo del Fiore (T candlestick branle only)

        I like it a lot, though a good deal of teaching will
        likely be required.

        The following will need to be taught:
        Gelosia
        Amoroso
        Il Piantone
        Saltarello de la regina
        Candlestick Branle or Ballo del Fiore

        I know I can't teach Ballo del Fiore unless someone has notes
        (I might have them or be able to find them today).

        The following will likely need to be reviewed:
        Petit Riense
        Jenny Pluck Pears
        Rufty Tufty
        Black Almain ** (I learned a cool variation of this at Pennsic!)

        Not that you (Katriona) need to hear this but I think I have recorded
        music for everything but Il Piantone. Sell list above for source.

        Note: Most of the taped music is scattered randomly over 3 or 4 tapes
        with limited indexing and there is not enought time for me to make
        a ball tape, sorry.

        Conrad
      • Katriana
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
          >I like it a lot, though a good deal of teaching will
          >likely be required.
          Well, since dance doesn't happen often enough at Calontir events, this will
          not be unusual :) What I was going for was dances that were simple enough
          to be taught on the floor (and hopefully during the day sometime)

          >The following will need to be taught:
          >Gelosia
          >Amoroso
          >Il Piantone
          >Saltarello de la regina
          These, if you don't know them, they're out. Did you say you found the
          steps to Il Piantone on-line? Where?

          >Candlestick Branle or Ballo del Fiore
          These are basically the same dance (and almost the same music. I'm going
          to work on the variations that get more people dancing (either start with a
          bunch of flowers, or give everyone candles)

          >The following will likely need to be reviewed:
          >Petit Riense
          >Jenny Pluck Pears
          >Rufty Tufty
          >Black Almain ** (I learned a cool variation of this at Pennsic!)

          >Not that you (Katriona) need to hear this but I think I have recorded
          music for everything but Il Piantone. Sell list above for source.

          >Note: Most of the taped music is scattered randomly over 3 or 4 tapes
          >with limited indexing and there is not enought time for me to make
          >a ball tape, sorry.
          >
          >Conrad

          I'm working on a tape, but since I haven't kept up with the technological
          revolution, my facilities are limited (yes, I see the joke there)

          Does this look do-able from a teaching on the floor standpoint?

          katriana
        • Katriana
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
            Il Piantone - If this is the LoD article on The Poaching Game, I just found
            it :) If there are other instructions, I haven't

            katriana
          • Katriana
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
              >Genrerally yes, but it depends somewhat on the knowledge and willingness
              >to learn of at least some of the dancers.

              When doesn't it :) If you have any suggestions, now would be the time,
              before I get cheat sheets done up. Really, any suggestions at all.
              Substitutions galore, I don't care...I have this headache that won't quit
              and our computer keeps crashing with "disk full" messages.

              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
                >What I was going for was dances that were simple enough
                >to be taught on the floor (and hopefully during the day sometime)

                Not too hard, but have youy seen the meeting schedule?
                At least the Lily and Cross are back to back.

                >>The following will need to be taught:

                >>Gelosia
                >>Amoroso
                >>Il Piantone
                >>Saltarello de la regina
                >These, if you don't know them, they're out. Did you say you found the
                >steps to Il Piantone on-line? Where?

                I can teach any of these, their pretty easy, just not likely to
                be widley known.

                >>Candlestick Branle or Ballo del Fiore
                >These are basically the same dance (and almost the same music. I'm going
                >to work on the variations that get more people dancing (either start with a
                >bunch of flowers, or give everyone candles)

                They are obvisouly related, but Ballo del Fiore is considerably more
                complex.
                I learned it the day before the ball at Pennsic, and remembered it well
                enough
                during the class, but couldn't remember it well enough to feel ready to
                do it at the ball.

                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
                  >>Genrerally yes, but it depends somewhat on the knowledge and willingness
                  >>to learn of at least some of the dancers.

                  >When doesn't it :) If you have any suggestions, now would be the time,
                  >before I get cheat sheets done up. Really, any suggestions at all.
                  >Substitutions galore, I don't care...I have this headache that won't quit
                  >and our computer keeps crashing with "disk full" messages.

                  There's no way to know beforehand. Cheat sheets are good, but they usually
                  don't help if someone doesn't know the dance at all.

                  I really like your choice of dances, they are a little ambitious, (as far
                  as "new" dances go), but I think that's good. I'd say go with them. If it
                  doesn't
                  work out we can always fall back to easier or more well known dances that
                  you
                  can play and I can teach - or take requests.

                  Conrad
                • Stewart, Sara
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 3 7:27 AM
                    It is not Seonaid's Basse Dance. It is Cervera's basse dance, which
                    Seonaid reconstructed :)
                    Seonaid
                    This ball sounds great.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 3 7:36 AM
                        Blah-de-blah-de-blah. Seonaid/Cervera. Whatever. ;)

                        Is Joyos the correct name? Or should we call it Cervera's basse dance? (I'm
                        sort of still rooting for "Seonaid's basse dance," but I may lose this
                        one...)

                        Conna

[...]

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                        To visit your group on the web, go to:

                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                      • Stewart, Sara
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 3 7:37 AM
                          "Joyos from Cervera" is probably the best way, as there are other Joyos
                          and there are 12 other basse dances in the Cervera manuscript.

                          Seonaid

                          From: "Stewart, Sara" <stewarts@...>
                          Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:27:57 -0600
                          To: <CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

                          http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/LmiolB/TM
                        • Christopher Mortika
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 17, 2008

                            Mistress Conna was kind enough to write:
                            > Just a note to say a big Thank You to HL Christian for running the
                            > Coronation Ball pit at Coronation in Deodar this past weekend.
                            >
                            > It was fantastic to gather together musicians from a couple of
                            > kingdoms, and the sets were lots of fun to play. Thank you for
                            > organizing everything and for all the fun!

                            And a huge debt of gratitude goes to:

                            The irrepressible dance shepherdess: Lady Daria of Coeur d'Ennui
                            The musicians:
                            Amy of Jararvellir (soprano and tenor recorders; she also played background
                            music at feast), Mistress Conna (soprano and alto recorders), Gwenhwyfar
                            Grek (trombone), Hyacinth of Jararvellir (alto recorder), Lady Kasha
                            (soprano recorder), Lady Lorelei of Skye (percussion), Lorelei of Shadowdale
                            (violin; her first event; she also played background music at feast), and
                            Megan of Jararvellir (soprano recorder).
                            The free dance booklet, including all the steps to all the dances: Lady
                            Lorelei of Skye

                            It was a blast. Next time we do it, we'll want to invite more dancers.

                            --Christian

                          • Matt Lagemann
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 17, 2008
                              Indeed it was fun. I wish I had enough energy for the other two sets. I know this was NOT in the hands of those running the ball, but I think what hurt attendance some was the Bardic Circle running concurrently. I know of some people from my group that would have danced, but they also wanted to be a part of the circle as well.

                              Ermenrich

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 17, 2008
                                For future occurrences of 'too many things going on at once', you can
                                safely assure any would be dancers that the bardic circle will be going
                                on long after dancing ends.

                                I'm sure Conna can attest to this as well.

                                Conrad

                                From: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
                                <mailto:CalontirDance%40yahoogroups.com>
                                <mailto:CalontirDance%40yahoogroups.com>

                                Mistress Conna was kind enough to write:
                                > Just a note to say a big Thank You to HL Christian for running the
                                > Coronation Ball pit at Coronation in Deodar this past weekend.
                                >
                                > It was fantastic to gather together musicians from a couple of
                                > kingdoms, and the sets were lots of fun to play. Thank you for
                                > organizing everything and for all the fun!

                                And a huge debt of gratitude goes to:

                                The irrepressible dance shepherdess: Lady Daria of Coeur d'Ennui
                                The musicians:
                                Amy of Jararvellir (soprano and tenor recorders; she also played
                                background
                                music at feast), Mistress Conna (soprano and alto recorders), Gwenhwyfar
                                Grek (trombone), Hyacinth of Jararvellir (alto recorder), Lady Kasha
                                (soprano recorder), Lady Lorelei of Skye (percussion), Lorelei of
                                Shadowdale
                                (violin; her first event; she also played background music at feast),
                                and
                                Megan of Jararvellir (soprano recorder).
                                The free dance booklet, including all the steps to all the dances: Lady
                                Lorelei of Skye

                                It was a blast. Next time we do it, we'll want to invite more dancers.

                                --Christian

                              • Conna
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 18, 2008
                                  On Wednesday, September 17, 2008, at 08:59 AM, Sauer, Michael F. wrote:

                                  > For future occurrences of 'too many things going on at once', you can
                                  > safely assure any would be dancers that the bardic circle will be going
                                  > on long after dancing ends.
                                  >
                                  > I'm sure Conna can attest to this as well.
                                  >
                                  > Conrad

                                  I happily stayed through the end of the ball, then happily stayed at
                                  the fire circle until the fire was put out at 5 am.

                                  Plenty of time for both! ;)

                                • Matt Lagemann
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 18, 2008
                                    5am! Conna, I do not know where you get that energy, but if you wouldn't mind lending me some, I would appreciate it!

                                    Ermenrich

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 18, 2008
                                      Crown Tourney is the weekend before Crystal Ball here in St Louis. Is there any interest in making dancing happen there? I'm looking for volunteers as I may or may not be able to attend this myself but am willing to coordinate.