Wha's up?

  • Valdemar & Constantia
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 28, 2004
      So I basically just wrote to chat.
      I got some music ideas to throw around.
      Conna and Katriana have been playing ball music for years and know much of
      it by heart, without reading it.
      Even I, who avoid most ball settings, know most of it by heart now.
      So does Lucia.
      That's four musicians right there. I would be willing to bet Neathery knows
      a bunch by heart.
      That's five.
      I am sure there are more.

      So, you dance people, what are your top twenty dance picks for roving dance
      parties.
      This is about Lilies mostly, but, Gosh Darn - we could do it at ANY war!
      Freaky.

      You know, I'm thinking dances that are easiest to do/teach in a
      low-lighting, unpaved and possibly low sobrietied environment.

      Memorization of the most desirable songs would
      make roving dance parties a bit more spontaneous for us musicians, by far.
      What ya say musicians? Dancers?
      I'm counting on dancers for song suggestions, and musicians for general
      input on do-ability and interest.

      Anybody got anything out there for me?
      Love, Constantia

      ---
    • Fuller, Neathery
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 29, 2004
        Constance. You are absolutely the best. This is the way dance music
        should be performed, because if we knew it by heart we could have fun doing
        improvisation on our parts. I have most of the hit parade memorized. You
        rock girl. Let's get to roving.

        Neathery

[...]

        <http://www.grisoft.com).>

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129lbcur9/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
        D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1093828194/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
        p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
        s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=454941294>

        _____

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 29, 2004
          Hey all

          Rock on Rove on!

          Ly Bens Dystonis is easy as all get out to teach even lass than sober
          (accidentally proved that in Meridies last year0 OOPS!) and I think I put a
          my faves in all categories list up a little while ago. If you want my hit
          parade look at Lilies ball from the last three or four years. Thats a set
          list of my faves, plus kingdom faves, plus easy to do, plus newer evil that
          I want to bring to the popular consciosness. Bwa haha!
          I'd try to tach about anything in any conditions but would concded that heys
          and serious skipping can be tough on wet grass in the dark. Then again -
          -its dark so who cares if you fall over right?

          This is sucha cool thing - I cant wait till it's just 'what is done' for
          there to be roving dance at any sufficient sized gathering of Calontiri.

          Tsire -delirious for dance debacles -Tuzevo

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
            Yeah--I could learn Ly Bens. It would be a nice change of pace from (my
            all-time, but dangerous on wet ground, favorite--Petit Riens).

            Conna

            From: "Valdemar & Constantia" <ironfist@...>
            Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:10:03 -0500
            To: "Calontirdance" <calontirdance@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            To visit your group on the web, go to:

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Stewart, Sara
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
              Ly Bens would be a good one, as would Petit Riens. Some branles wuld be
              good and easy to teach (Montarde is a good one for teaching people,
              Pease branles is easy to drag new people through as well). Gathering
              peascods is a good english country dance that any number of people coud
              do.
              Other than that any dances we do at the ball we could do roving, though
              some would have less dancers that know it then others.
              This sounds like a great idea.
              Seonaid

              ________________________________

              From: "Valdemar & Constantia" <ironfist@...>
              Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:10:03 -0500
              To: "Calontirdance" <calontirdance@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

              click here
              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129rr81rd/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
              D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1093957691/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*htt
              p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298>

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
              s/S=:HM/A=2319498/rand=215404623>

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                Hi All

                Befor you all go out an learn Ly Bens, fresh from Pennsic
                is a new version. Seems a repeat was left out in the music
                commonly known (and on the Dragonscales CD), can't tell you exactly
                where but now there are 2 very different versions - it was interesting
                to see who went to the dance classes and knew it and those that didn't.

                Also a new request, Cantiga de Santa Maria 119. A version can be
                found on the second Wolgemut CD, for tempo. This was used very nice
                for a new dnace Kirantana (sp???) also know as "Gin and Tonic".
                Real easy and lots of fun, a period "Trenchmore".

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                  You want a Cantiga de Santa Maria? I'm all over it! I can't get enough of
                  'em. (And Mary and Gin & Tonic, all in one tune--I love it!! Two great
                  things that go great together!)

                  And Pease bransle is a great idea! I'm on that one, too.

                  Katriana or Neathery, any chance you have a copy of the new, improved
                  version of Ly Bens from this year's Pennsic Pile? (But dancers, you should
                  expect a repeat of the old version of Ly Bens at this year's Crystal Ball.)

                  Conna

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                    Right ON Conrad!
                    Any Cantiga de Santa Maria is right up my alley,
                    and with the Gin and Tonic dance to BOOT!!!
                    You are my new favorite hero and soul mate.
                    Huh, whodathunkit...
                    love, Constantia

                    From: "Valdemar & Constantia" <ironfist@...>
                    Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:10:03 -0500
                    To: "Calontirdance" <calontirdance@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

                    Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                    ---
                  • Evelyn Alden
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                      "old" Ly Bens

                      "A" music
                      "B" music
                      "A" music

                      The "new" Ly Bens
                      "A" music
                      "B" music
                      "B" music
                      "A" music

                      And, as near as I could tell from watching, the steps
                      just add another "B" section also, just reversing who
                      goes which way.

                      I'll try to get the new version uploaded into the
                      files, but, really, the middle part just repeats now.

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                        "old" Ly Bens

                        "A" music
                        "B" music
                        "A" music

                        The "new" Ly Bens
                        "A" music
                        "B" music
                        "B" music
                        "A" music

                        >And, as near as I could tell from watching, the steps
                        >just add another "B" section also, just reversing who
                        >goes which way.

                        From a dance POV the singles are slower and there's this whole
                        turn to switch positions thing too.
                      • Paul Byers
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                          >and with the Gin and Tonic dance to BOOT!!!

                          What Gin and Tonic dance?

                          Pav

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                            Hey Pav

                            A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,
                            that's a total guess at the spelling. When the instructor
                            was saying the name its sort of sounded like 'Gin and Tonic'
                            and with learning several new dance names it kind of stuck,
                            we also had Vanilla and Cachetori in our food series of new
                            dances.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                              > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                              Chirintana
                              Chiaranzana
                              http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                                But doesn't Chiaranzana have its own music. I think I have a copy of it
                                on one of my CDs. Why do they use a cantiga?
                                Seonaid

                                ________________________________

                                > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                                Chirintana
                                Chiaranzana
                                http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                click here
                                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129790fjn/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                                D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094151221/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                                p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                                s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=338627225>

                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                                  It was available?

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                                    Balli e Balletti da Ballare: Danses de la Renaissance Italien. Atelier
                                    Danse/Claude Flagel
                                    ADDA Distribution, 1987. FM 581071. CD (Also distributed by Qualiton
                                    Imports as "Italian Dance Music of the Renaissance".)
                                    I don't know if it is danceable , not having done the dance.
                                    And the sheet music is available.

                                    ________________________________

                                    > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                                    Chirintana
                                    Chiaranzana
                                    http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                    click here
                                    <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129790fjn/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                                    D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094151221/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                                    p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                                    s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=338627225>

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                    click here
                                    <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12929ced3/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                                    D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094154808/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*htt
                                    p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298>

                                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                                    s/S=:HM/A=2319498/rand=697192870>

                                  • Stewart, Sara
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                                      Sorry got confused.
                                      Chirintana is a fifteenth century Italian dance from Ebreo(?). There is
                                      sheet music, but I don't know if there is other music.
                                      Chiaranzana is a 16th century Italian from Caroso. This is the one I
                                      have a recording of.

                                      Was this it Conrad:(This is the 15th century one)
                                      Chirintana (6 couples holding hands one after another)
                                      (

                                      --- in 4 (whole dance) ---

                                      Intro Continenza L,R,L,R - repeat as often as musician wants
                                      (or x2)

                                      Weave 1 (same as in Trenchmore) (32 bars of music)

                                      2 piva = front couple turns without dropping hands

                                      2 piva for each of following switches, holding partners
                                      hand.

                                      Couple 1 ducks under arms of Couple 2

                                      Couple 3 ducks under Couple 1 as Couple 2 turns

                                      Couple 1 under 4, Couple 2 under 4, etc.

                                      Each Couple starts when Couple 1 reaches them. Always
                                      come from the top by

                                      ducking under. Keep going until back to place (Couple 1
                                      will finish 8 bars before

                                      last finishes)

                                      Chorus 4 salterelli circling partner (no hands)

                                      Weave 2 The first Couple stayed on the wrong side, and now start a
                                      circular hey. The

                                      Women go clockwise around the circle, the men go ccw.
                                      ie the 1st man starts

                                      down the women's line, all the men following him, while
                                      the women go down the

                                      men's line.

                                      Two pive for each pass, start passing R.

                                      Repeat Chorus

                                      Brigamania (Same music as weave plus chorus)

                                      Couples all link up into one line, and bransle around
                                      the hall.

                                      ________________________________

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                                        I though it was 15th, but the steps are generic.

                                        Its for as many as will, has 3 badic figures
                                        a procession forward, a snake hey and a set of pivas
                                        in one big line.

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
                                          Yeah that sounds like it must be it. I imagine if you extend the music
                                          it can be for as many as will.

                                          ________________________________

                                          > A new dance I learned at Pennsic, called Kirantanna,

                                          Chirintana
                                          Chiaranzana
                                          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/caroso/transcription/0137.clean.html

                                          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                          click here
                                          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129790fjn/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                                          D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094151221/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                                          p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                                          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                                          s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=338627225>

                                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                          click here
                                          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129i8apj4/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                                          D=groups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1094156836/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*htt
                                          p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>

                                          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                                          s/S=:HM/A=2319501/rand=532846065>