RE: Coronation Ball

    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 25, 1999
      >Well, it seems that I've been put in charge of the ball at Coronation.
      >Mainly because I'm in a neighboring shire. If it wouldn't be too much
      >trouble, could I request help from others?

      >What dances should be on the list? I would like to get some of the Italian
      >dances on, Petit Reins should be easy enough, and maybe Amoroso? or
      >Rostiboli? Which branles? Since Pavel should be there, Maanschaft is a
      >must :)

      >BTW, what other musicians will be there? Otherwise I need taped music too.
      > Tapes are one thing I've never spent money on :)

      Well, this just made a tough decision much easier for me.

      I was actually considering going to a ball in Atlantia (in the
      Barony where I used to live) that weekend. But if I can dance in
      Calontir, why leave.

      Italian

      Petit Riense, definately. Amoroso is easier that Rostiboli.
      Gelosia is actually pretty easy too - I think mostly because
      is has 3 couples in a line and a pattern, almost like ECD.
      Also I just learned Salterlo la Regina and its real easy (and
      the name seems right for a coronation).

      Chorus D fwd S out S in D back

      S fwd S fwd

      Chorus

      S fwd S fwd

      Chorus

      Men S turn S turn
      Women S turn S turn

      Chorus

      Women S turn S turn
      Men S turn S turn

      Chorus

      Men solo aroun Women 4 S

      Chorus

      Women solo aroun Men 4 S

      Chorus

      Join both hands and 6 S to turn twice right

      Chorus

      Join both hands and 6 S to turn twice left

      Music is probably boring though the verses are different lengths.

      Bransles

      Easy bransle suits (I'll have to dig out my Pennsic cheat sheet).

      forget double, singe gay and bergundian (too boring)

      charlote, war, scottish

      pease, washerwomans

      horses, offical ?

      Other

      that pinwheel thing - I even found it online.
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 25, 1999
        P.S. If you decide on a list I can get up a quick web page for them.

        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 25, 1999
          > BTW, what other musicians will be there? Otherwise I need taped music too.

          Me! I'll be there. Since I didn't ever quite make it to the Barn at Pennsic, I
          promise I'll make it to Coronation to play!

          Conna

          PS. I really did carry my basket of instruments/music around, intending to end
          up at the Barn. Honest! It's Calontir's fault that we're just so darned much
          fun. I even got waylaid at Sato's vigil until 3 am. Too much fun!
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 25, 1999
            > What dances should be on the list? I would like to get some of the Italian
            > dances on, Petit Reins should be easy enough, and maybe Amoroso? or
            > Rostiboli? Which branles?

            Hmmm. Well, I have to admit I never get tired of Carolingian. And don't you
            think we should do Calontir Bransle?
          • Katriana
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
              Sorry I haven't been posting, Ragweed season hit me like a sledgehammer.

              How does this look for a ball list for Coronation?
              Maanshaft
              Calontir Branle
              Gelosia
              Petit Riense

              Amoroso
              Official's Branle
              Jenny Pluck Pears
              Rufty Tufty

              Carolingian
              Il Piantone (Pinwheel thing)
              SCA Maltese
              Black Nag

              Black Almain
              Gathering Peascods
              Saltarello de la regina
              Candlestick Branle or Ballo del Fiore
            • Katriana
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
                Hey, another question. Does anybody have a good tape player (or better
                yet, a cd player)? I'll bring sheet music and hope, but better to be
                prepared. Conrad, you'll be willing to teach, right? I've seen the
                Italian dances, but only danced a couple.

                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
                  >Sorry I haven't been posting, Ragweed season hit me like a sledgehammer.
                  I was beginning to wonder :)

                  >How does this look for a ball list for Coronation?
                  >Maanshaft (T)
                  >Calontir Branle (T)
                  >Gelosia (CD)
                  >Petit Riense (CD)

                  >Amoroso (CD)
                  >Official's Branle (T & CD)
                  >Jenny Pluck Pears (T & CD)
                  >Rufty Tufty (CD)

                  >Carolingian (T & CD)
                  >Il Piantone (Pinwheel thing) (Nope)
                  >SCA Maltese (T & CD)
                  >Black Nag (T & CD)

                  >Black Almain (T I think)
                  >Gathering Peascods (T)
                  >Saltarello de la regina (T and record)
                  >Candlestick Branle or Ballo del Fiore (T candlestick branle only)

                  I like it a lot, though a good deal of teaching will
                  likely be required.

                  The following will need to be taught:
                  Gelosia
                  Amoroso
                  Il Piantone
                  Saltarello de la regina
                  Candlestick Branle or Ballo del Fiore

                  I know I can't teach Ballo del Fiore unless someone has notes
                  (I might have them or be able to find them today).

                  The following will likely need to be reviewed:
                  Petit Riense
                  Jenny Pluck Pears
                  Rufty Tufty
                  Black Almain ** (I learned a cool variation of this at Pennsic!)

                  Not that you (Katriona) need to hear this but I think I have recorded
                  music for everything but Il Piantone. Sell list above for source.

                  Note: Most of the taped music is scattered randomly over 3 or 4 tapes
                  with limited indexing and there is not enought time for me to make
                  a ball tape, sorry.

                  Conrad
                • Katriana
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
                    >I like it a lot, though a good deal of teaching will
                    >likely be required.
                    Well, since dance doesn't happen often enough at Calontir events, this will
                    not be unusual :) What I was going for was dances that were simple enough
                    to be taught on the floor (and hopefully during the day sometime)

                    >The following will need to be taught:
                    >Gelosia
                    >Amoroso
                    >Il Piantone
                    >Saltarello de la regina
                    These, if you don't know them, they're out. Did you say you found the
                    steps to Il Piantone on-line? Where?

                    >Candlestick Branle or Ballo del Fiore
                    These are basically the same dance (and almost the same music. I'm going
                    to work on the variations that get more people dancing (either start with a
                    bunch of flowers, or give everyone candles)

                    >The following will likely need to be reviewed:
                    >Petit Riense
                    >Jenny Pluck Pears
                    >Rufty Tufty
                    >Black Almain ** (I learned a cool variation of this at Pennsic!)

                    >Not that you (Katriona) need to hear this but I think I have recorded
                    music for everything but Il Piantone. Sell list above for source.

                    >Note: Most of the taped music is scattered randomly over 3 or 4 tapes
                    >with limited indexing and there is not enought time for me to make
                    >a ball tape, sorry.
                    >
                    >Conrad

                    I'm working on a tape, but since I haven't kept up with the technological
                    revolution, my facilities are limited (yes, I see the joke there)

                    Does this look do-able from a teaching on the floor standpoint?

                    katriana
                  • Katriana
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
                      Il Piantone - If this is the LoD article on The Poaching Game, I just found
                      it :) If there are other instructions, I haven't

                      katriana
                    • Katriana
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
                        >Genrerally yes, but it depends somewhat on the knowledge and willingness
                        >to learn of at least some of the dancers.

                        When doesn't it :) If you have any suggestions, now would be the time,
                        before I get cheat sheets done up. Really, any suggestions at all.
                        Substitutions galore, I don't care...I have this headache that won't quit
                        and our computer keeps crashing with "disk full" messages.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
                          >What I was going for was dances that were simple enough
                          >to be taught on the floor (and hopefully during the day sometime)

                          Not too hard, but have youy seen the meeting schedule?
                          At least the Lily and Cross are back to back.

                          >>The following will need to be taught:

                          >>Gelosia
                          >>Amoroso
                          >>Il Piantone
                          >>Saltarello de la regina
                          >These, if you don't know them, they're out. Did you say you found the
                          >steps to Il Piantone on-line? Where?

                          I can teach any of these, their pretty easy, just not likely to
                          be widley known.

                          >>Candlestick Branle or Ballo del Fiore
                          >These are basically the same dance (and almost the same music. I'm going
                          >to work on the variations that get more people dancing (either start with a
                          >bunch of flowers, or give everyone candles)

                          They are obvisouly related, but Ballo del Fiore is considerably more
                          complex.
                          I learned it the day before the ball at Pennsic, and remembered it well
                          enough
                          during the class, but couldn't remember it well enough to feel ready to
                          do it at the ball.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
                            >>Genrerally yes, but it depends somewhat on the knowledge and willingness
                            >>to learn of at least some of the dancers.

                            >When doesn't it :) If you have any suggestions, now would be the time,
                            >before I get cheat sheets done up. Really, any suggestions at all.
                            >Substitutions galore, I don't care...I have this headache that won't quit
                            >and our computer keeps crashing with "disk full" messages.

                            There's no way to know beforehand. Cheat sheets are good, but they usually
                            don't help if someone doesn't know the dance at all.

                            I really like your choice of dances, they are a little ambitious, (as far
                            as "new" dances go), but I think that's good. I'd say go with them. If it
                            doesn't
                            work out we can always fall back to easier or more well known dances that
                            you
                            can play and I can teach - or take requests.

                            Conrad
                          • Stewart, Sara
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 3, 2005
                              It is not Seonaid's Basse Dance. It is Cervera's basse dance, which
                              Seonaid reconstructed :)
                              Seonaid
                              This ball sounds great.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 3, 2005
                                  Blah-de-blah-de-blah. Seonaid/Cervera. Whatever. ;)

                                  Is Joyos the correct name? Or should we call it Cervera's basse dance? (I'm
                                  sort of still rooting for "Seonaid's basse dance," but I may lose this
                                  one...)

                                  Conna

[...]

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  To visit your group on the web, go to:

                                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                • Stewart, Sara
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 3, 2005
                                    "Joyos from Cervera" is probably the best way, as there are other Joyos
                                    and there are 12 other basse dances in the Cervera manuscript.

                                    Seonaid

                                    From: "Stewart, Sara" <stewarts@...>
                                    Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:27:57 -0600
                                    To: <CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

                                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/LmiolB/TM
                                  • Christopher Mortika
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 17, 2008

                                      Mistress Conna was kind enough to write:
                                      > Just a note to say a big Thank You to HL Christian for running the
                                      > Coronation Ball pit at Coronation in Deodar this past weekend.
                                      >
                                      > It was fantastic to gather together musicians from a couple of
                                      > kingdoms, and the sets were lots of fun to play. Thank you for
                                      > organizing everything and for all the fun!

                                      And a huge debt of gratitude goes to:

                                      The irrepressible dance shepherdess: Lady Daria of Coeur d'Ennui
                                      The musicians:
                                      Amy of Jararvellir (soprano and tenor recorders; she also played background
                                      music at feast), Mistress Conna (soprano and alto recorders), Gwenhwyfar
                                      Grek (trombone), Hyacinth of Jararvellir (alto recorder), Lady Kasha
                                      (soprano recorder), Lady Lorelei of Skye (percussion), Lorelei of Shadowdale
                                      (violin; her first event; she also played background music at feast), and
                                      Megan of Jararvellir (soprano recorder).
                                      The free dance booklet, including all the steps to all the dances: Lady
                                      Lorelei of Skye

                                      It was a blast. Next time we do it, we'll want to invite more dancers.

                                      --Christian

                                    • Matt Lagemann
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 17, 2008
                                        Indeed it was fun. I wish I had enough energy for the other two sets. I know this was NOT in the hands of those running the ball, but I think what hurt attendance some was the Bardic Circle running concurrently. I know of some people from my group that would have danced, but they also wanted to be a part of the circle as well.

                                        Ermenrich

                                        ________________________________

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 17, 2008
                                          For future occurrences of 'too many things going on at once', you can
                                          safely assure any would be dancers that the bardic circle will be going
                                          on long after dancing ends.

                                          I'm sure Conna can attest to this as well.

                                          Conrad

                                          From: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
                                          <mailto:CalontirDance%40yahoogroups.com>
                                          <mailto:CalontirDance%40yahoogroups.com>

                                          Mistress Conna was kind enough to write:
                                          > Just a note to say a big Thank You to HL Christian for running the
                                          > Coronation Ball pit at Coronation in Deodar this past weekend.
                                          >
                                          > It was fantastic to gather together musicians from a couple of
                                          > kingdoms, and the sets were lots of fun to play. Thank you for
                                          > organizing everything and for all the fun!

                                          And a huge debt of gratitude goes to:

                                          The irrepressible dance shepherdess: Lady Daria of Coeur d'Ennui
                                          The musicians:
                                          Amy of Jararvellir (soprano and tenor recorders; she also played
                                          background
                                          music at feast), Mistress Conna (soprano and alto recorders), Gwenhwyfar
                                          Grek (trombone), Hyacinth of Jararvellir (alto recorder), Lady Kasha
                                          (soprano recorder), Lady Lorelei of Skye (percussion), Lorelei of
                                          Shadowdale
                                          (violin; her first event; she also played background music at feast),
                                          and
                                          Megan of Jararvellir (soprano recorder).
                                          The free dance booklet, including all the steps to all the dances: Lady
                                          Lorelei of Skye

                                          It was a blast. Next time we do it, we'll want to invite more dancers.

                                          --Christian

                                        • Conna
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Sep 18, 2008
                                            On Wednesday, September 17, 2008, at 08:59 AM, Sauer, Michael F. wrote:

                                            > For future occurrences of 'too many things going on at once', you can
                                            > safely assure any would be dancers that the bardic circle will be going
                                            > on long after dancing ends.
                                            >
                                            > I'm sure Conna can attest to this as well.
                                            >
                                            > Conrad

                                            I happily stayed through the end of the ball, then happily stayed at
                                            the fire circle until the fire was put out at 5 am.

                                            Plenty of time for both! ;)

                                          • Matt Lagemann
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 18, 2008
                                              5am! Conna, I do not know where you get that energy, but if you wouldn't mind lending me some, I would appreciate it!

                                              Ermenrich

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Sep 18, 2008
                                                Crown Tourney is the weekend before Crystal Ball here in St Louis. Is there any interest in making dancing happen there? I'm looking for volunteers as I may or may not be able to attend this myself but am willing to coordinate.