Coronation Ball

  • Katriana
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 25, 1999
      Well, it seems that I've been put in charge of the ball at Coronation.
      Mainly because I'm in a neighboring shire. If it wouldn't be too much
      trouble, could I request help from others?

      What dances should be on the list? I would like to get some of the Italian
      dances on, Petit Reins should be easy enough, and maybe Amoroso? or
      Rostiboli? Which branles? Since Pavel should be there, Maanschaft is a
      must :)

      BTW, what other musicians will be there? Otherwise I need taped music too.
      Tapes are one thing I've never spent money on :)

      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 25, 1999
        >Well, it seems that I've been put in charge of the ball at Coronation.
        >Mainly because I'm in a neighboring shire. If it wouldn't be too much
        >trouble, could I request help from others?

        >What dances should be on the list? I would like to get some of the Italian
        >dances on, Petit Reins should be easy enough, and maybe Amoroso? or
        >Rostiboli? Which branles? Since Pavel should be there, Maanschaft is a
        >must :)

        >BTW, what other musicians will be there? Otherwise I need taped music too.
        > Tapes are one thing I've never spent money on :)

        Well, this just made a tough decision much easier for me.

        I was actually considering going to a ball in Atlantia (in the
        Barony where I used to live) that weekend. But if I can dance in
        Calontir, why leave.

        Italian

        Petit Riense, definately. Amoroso is easier that Rostiboli.
        Gelosia is actually pretty easy too - I think mostly because
        is has 3 couples in a line and a pattern, almost like ECD.
        Also I just learned Salterlo la Regina and its real easy (and
        the name seems right for a coronation).

        Chorus D fwd S out S in D back

        S fwd S fwd

        Chorus

        S fwd S fwd

        Chorus

        Men S turn S turn
        Women S turn S turn

        Chorus

        Women S turn S turn
        Men S turn S turn

        Chorus

        Men solo aroun Women 4 S

        Chorus

        Women solo aroun Men 4 S

        Chorus

        Join both hands and 6 S to turn twice right

        Chorus

        Join both hands and 6 S to turn twice left

        Music is probably boring though the verses are different lengths.

        Bransles

        Easy bransle suits (I'll have to dig out my Pennsic cheat sheet).

        forget double, singe gay and bergundian (too boring)

        charlote, war, scottish

        pease, washerwomans

        horses, offical ?

        Other

        that pinwheel thing - I even found it online.
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 25, 1999
          P.S. If you decide on a list I can get up a quick web page for them.

          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 25, 1999
            > BTW, what other musicians will be there? Otherwise I need taped music too.

            Me! I'll be there. Since I didn't ever quite make it to the Barn at Pennsic, I
            promise I'll make it to Coronation to play!

            Conna

            PS. I really did carry my basket of instruments/music around, intending to end
            up at the Barn. Honest! It's Calontir's fault that we're just so darned much
            fun. I even got waylaid at Sato's vigil until 3 am. Too much fun!
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 25, 1999
              > What dances should be on the list? I would like to get some of the Italian
              > dances on, Petit Reins should be easy enough, and maybe Amoroso? or
              > Rostiboli? Which branles?

              Hmmm. Well, I have to admit I never get tired of Carolingian. And don't you
              think we should do Calontir Bransle?
            • Katriana
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
                Sorry I haven't been posting, Ragweed season hit me like a sledgehammer.

                How does this look for a ball list for Coronation?
                Maanshaft
                Calontir Branle
                Gelosia
                Petit Riense

                Amoroso
                Official's Branle
                Jenny Pluck Pears
                Rufty Tufty

                Carolingian
                Il Piantone (Pinwheel thing)
                SCA Maltese
                Black Nag

                Black Almain
                Gathering Peascods
                Saltarello de la regina
                Candlestick Branle or Ballo del Fiore
              • Katriana
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
                  Hey, another question. Does anybody have a good tape player (or better
                  yet, a cd player)? I'll bring sheet music and hope, but better to be
                  prepared. Conrad, you'll be willing to teach, right? I've seen the
                  Italian dances, but only danced a couple.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
                    >Sorry I haven't been posting, Ragweed season hit me like a sledgehammer.
                    I was beginning to wonder :)

                    >How does this look for a ball list for Coronation?
                    >Maanshaft (T)
                    >Calontir Branle (T)
                    >Gelosia (CD)
                    >Petit Riense (CD)

                    >Amoroso (CD)
                    >Official's Branle (T & CD)
                    >Jenny Pluck Pears (T & CD)
                    >Rufty Tufty (CD)

                    >Carolingian (T & CD)
                    >Il Piantone (Pinwheel thing) (Nope)
                    >SCA Maltese (T & CD)
                    >Black Nag (T & CD)

                    >Black Almain (T I think)
                    >Gathering Peascods (T)
                    >Saltarello de la regina (T and record)
                    >Candlestick Branle or Ballo del Fiore (T candlestick branle only)

                    I like it a lot, though a good deal of teaching will
                    likely be required.

                    The following will need to be taught:
                    Gelosia
                    Amoroso
                    Il Piantone
                    Saltarello de la regina
                    Candlestick Branle or Ballo del Fiore

                    I know I can't teach Ballo del Fiore unless someone has notes
                    (I might have them or be able to find them today).

                    The following will likely need to be reviewed:
                    Petit Riense
                    Jenny Pluck Pears
                    Rufty Tufty
                    Black Almain ** (I learned a cool variation of this at Pennsic!)

                    Not that you (Katriona) need to hear this but I think I have recorded
                    music for everything but Il Piantone. Sell list above for source.

                    Note: Most of the taped music is scattered randomly over 3 or 4 tapes
                    with limited indexing and there is not enought time for me to make
                    a ball tape, sorry.

                    Conrad
                  • Katriana
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
                      >I like it a lot, though a good deal of teaching will
                      >likely be required.
                      Well, since dance doesn't happen often enough at Calontir events, this will
                      not be unusual :) What I was going for was dances that were simple enough
                      to be taught on the floor (and hopefully during the day sometime)

                      >The following will need to be taught:
                      >Gelosia
                      >Amoroso
                      >Il Piantone
                      >Saltarello de la regina
                      These, if you don't know them, they're out. Did you say you found the
                      steps to Il Piantone on-line? Where?

                      >Candlestick Branle or Ballo del Fiore
                      These are basically the same dance (and almost the same music. I'm going
                      to work on the variations that get more people dancing (either start with a
                      bunch of flowers, or give everyone candles)

                      >The following will likely need to be reviewed:
                      >Petit Riense
                      >Jenny Pluck Pears
                      >Rufty Tufty
                      >Black Almain ** (I learned a cool variation of this at Pennsic!)

                      >Not that you (Katriona) need to hear this but I think I have recorded
                      music for everything but Il Piantone. Sell list above for source.

                      >Note: Most of the taped music is scattered randomly over 3 or 4 tapes
                      >with limited indexing and there is not enought time for me to make
                      >a ball tape, sorry.
                      >
                      >Conrad

                      I'm working on a tape, but since I haven't kept up with the technological
                      revolution, my facilities are limited (yes, I see the joke there)

                      Does this look do-able from a teaching on the floor standpoint?

                      katriana
                    • Katriana
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
                        Il Piantone - If this is the LoD article on The Poaching Game, I just found
                        it :) If there are other instructions, I haven't

                        katriana
                      • Katriana
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
                          >Genrerally yes, but it depends somewhat on the knowledge and willingness
                          >to learn of at least some of the dancers.

                          When doesn't it :) If you have any suggestions, now would be the time,
                          before I get cheat sheets done up. Really, any suggestions at all.
                          Substitutions galore, I don't care...I have this headache that won't quit
                          and our computer keeps crashing with "disk full" messages.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
                            >What I was going for was dances that were simple enough
                            >to be taught on the floor (and hopefully during the day sometime)

                            Not too hard, but have youy seen the meeting schedule?
                            At least the Lily and Cross are back to back.

                            >>The following will need to be taught:

                            >>Gelosia
                            >>Amoroso
                            >>Il Piantone
                            >>Saltarello de la regina
                            >These, if you don't know them, they're out. Did you say you found the
                            >steps to Il Piantone on-line? Where?

                            I can teach any of these, their pretty easy, just not likely to
                            be widley known.

                            >>Candlestick Branle or Ballo del Fiore
                            >These are basically the same dance (and almost the same music. I'm going
                            >to work on the variations that get more people dancing (either start with a
                            >bunch of flowers, or give everyone candles)

                            They are obvisouly related, but Ballo del Fiore is considerably more
                            complex.
                            I learned it the day before the ball at Pennsic, and remembered it well
                            enough
                            during the class, but couldn't remember it well enough to feel ready to
                            do it at the ball.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 10, 1999
                              >>Genrerally yes, but it depends somewhat on the knowledge and willingness
                              >>to learn of at least some of the dancers.

                              >When doesn't it :) If you have any suggestions, now would be the time,
                              >before I get cheat sheets done up. Really, any suggestions at all.
                              >Substitutions galore, I don't care...I have this headache that won't quit
                              >and our computer keeps crashing with "disk full" messages.

                              There's no way to know beforehand. Cheat sheets are good, but they usually
                              don't help if someone doesn't know the dance at all.

                              I really like your choice of dances, they are a little ambitious, (as far
                              as "new" dances go), but I think that's good. I'd say go with them. If it
                              doesn't
                              work out we can always fall back to easier or more well known dances that
                              you
                              can play and I can teach - or take requests.

                              Conrad
                            • Stewart, Sara
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 3 7:27 AM
                                It is not Seonaid's Basse Dance. It is Cervera's basse dance, which
                                Seonaid reconstructed :)
                                Seonaid
                                This ball sounds great.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 3 7:36 AM
                                    Blah-de-blah-de-blah. Seonaid/Cervera. Whatever. ;)

                                    Is Joyos the correct name? Or should we call it Cervera's basse dance? (I'm
                                    sort of still rooting for "Seonaid's basse dance," but I may lose this
                                    one...)

                                    Conna

[...]

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                                    To visit your group on the web, go to:

                                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                  • Stewart, Sara
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 3 7:37 AM
                                      "Joyos from Cervera" is probably the best way, as there are other Joyos
                                      and there are 12 other basse dances in the Cervera manuscript.

                                      Seonaid

                                      From: "Stewart, Sara" <stewarts@...>
                                      Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:27:57 -0600
                                      To: <CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

                                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/LmiolB/TM
                                    • Christopher Mortika
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 17, 2008

                                        Mistress Conna was kind enough to write:
                                        > Just a note to say a big Thank You to HL Christian for running the
                                        > Coronation Ball pit at Coronation in Deodar this past weekend.
                                        >
                                        > It was fantastic to gather together musicians from a couple of
                                        > kingdoms, and the sets were lots of fun to play. Thank you for
                                        > organizing everything and for all the fun!

                                        And a huge debt of gratitude goes to:

                                        The irrepressible dance shepherdess: Lady Daria of Coeur d'Ennui
                                        The musicians:
                                        Amy of Jararvellir (soprano and tenor recorders; she also played background
                                        music at feast), Mistress Conna (soprano and alto recorders), Gwenhwyfar
                                        Grek (trombone), Hyacinth of Jararvellir (alto recorder), Lady Kasha
                                        (soprano recorder), Lady Lorelei of Skye (percussion), Lorelei of Shadowdale
                                        (violin; her first event; she also played background music at feast), and
                                        Megan of Jararvellir (soprano recorder).
                                        The free dance booklet, including all the steps to all the dances: Lady
                                        Lorelei of Skye

                                        It was a blast. Next time we do it, we'll want to invite more dancers.

                                        --Christian

                                      • Matt Lagemann
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 17, 2008
                                          Indeed it was fun. I wish I had enough energy for the other two sets. I know this was NOT in the hands of those running the ball, but I think what hurt attendance some was the Bardic Circle running concurrently. I know of some people from my group that would have danced, but they also wanted to be a part of the circle as well.

                                          Ermenrich

                                          ________________________________

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Sep 17, 2008
                                            For future occurrences of 'too many things going on at once', you can
                                            safely assure any would be dancers that the bardic circle will be going
                                            on long after dancing ends.

                                            I'm sure Conna can attest to this as well.

                                            Conrad

                                            From: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
                                            <mailto:CalontirDance%40yahoogroups.com>
                                            <mailto:CalontirDance%40yahoogroups.com>

                                            Mistress Conna was kind enough to write:
                                            > Just a note to say a big Thank You to HL Christian for running the
                                            > Coronation Ball pit at Coronation in Deodar this past weekend.
                                            >
                                            > It was fantastic to gather together musicians from a couple of
                                            > kingdoms, and the sets were lots of fun to play. Thank you for
                                            > organizing everything and for all the fun!

                                            And a huge debt of gratitude goes to:

                                            The irrepressible dance shepherdess: Lady Daria of Coeur d'Ennui
                                            The musicians:
                                            Amy of Jararvellir (soprano and tenor recorders; she also played
                                            background
                                            music at feast), Mistress Conna (soprano and alto recorders), Gwenhwyfar
                                            Grek (trombone), Hyacinth of Jararvellir (alto recorder), Lady Kasha
                                            (soprano recorder), Lady Lorelei of Skye (percussion), Lorelei of
                                            Shadowdale
                                            (violin; her first event; she also played background music at feast),
                                            and
                                            Megan of Jararvellir (soprano recorder).
                                            The free dance booklet, including all the steps to all the dances: Lady
                                            Lorelei of Skye

                                            It was a blast. Next time we do it, we'll want to invite more dancers.

                                            --Christian

                                          • Conna
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 18, 2008
                                              On Wednesday, September 17, 2008, at 08:59 AM, Sauer, Michael F. wrote:

                                              > For future occurrences of 'too many things going on at once', you can
                                              > safely assure any would be dancers that the bardic circle will be going
                                              > on long after dancing ends.
                                              >
                                              > I'm sure Conna can attest to this as well.
                                              >
                                              > Conrad

                                              I happily stayed through the end of the ball, then happily stayed at
                                              the fire circle until the fire was put out at 5 am.

                                              Plenty of time for both! ;)

                                            • Matt Lagemann
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Sep 18, 2008
                                                5am! Conna, I do not know where you get that energy, but if you wouldn't mind lending me some, I would appreciate it!

                                                Ermenrich

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Sep 18, 2008
                                                  Crown Tourney is the weekend before Crystal Ball here in St Louis. Is there any interest in making dancing happen there? I'm looking for volunteers as I may or may not be able to attend this myself but am willing to coordinate.