Re: [CalontirDance] Lilies War Ball 2004

  • Rowan of Three Rivers
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2003
      Having never done such a thing before, what are we talking about? Finding the music? Setting the ball list? Teaching the RUSH classes?
      Can you send me more info please?

      Rowan

      From: "ladyboicewright" <ladyboicewright@...>
      Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 19:37:32 -0000

      >I am searching for someone to step up and be the Dancemaster or
      >mistress for the Lilies Ball coming up in June, 2004. Please forward
      >a note to me no later than Nov.30th. Kris Kinder will be the final
      >decision for the position so that music can be decided on very soon.
      >HL Marcella the Unknown,
      >Lilies Ball Coordinator

      Lady Rowan Houndskeeper

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 11, 2003
        Hi

        Sorry all I thought about this so much I thought I had already sent a reply.

        To some level this job is what you want to make of it.
        The things that need to be done is to accept whatever input you
        feel is necessary and produce a "Ball List". Then provide
        the choreography for the dances (especially if different from
        the "standard"), make available to the masses (PDF files on the web
        is my suggestion with a few printed copies to take to events). Arrange
        with 1 or more musicians that the music for all dances is covered. How
        closely the dance person works with the musicians is up to them, some
        people have arranged for a musician leader and left it in their hands,
        others have interacted with the group as a whole.

        Support stuff - get the ball on the schedule,
        arrange for lighting, arrange for refreshments (optional but mostly expected now).
        arrange to get dances taught during RUSH classes at Lilies.
        The person running the ball should not be responsible for teaching all of the
        classes - we have enough teachers now not to overload any one person - but
        should probably expect to teach 1 or 2 ball review sessions and 1 or 2 other
        classes.

        The battles will be during the day again this year - which will limit the
        commitment of any who need to be on the field at those times.
        We might also want to think about early evening classes, 5 PM on a day or two.

        In the past the ball person has usually ended up being the master class scheduler
        for dance, mostly because they were the "visible person who knew what needed to be
        taught", but they don't have to be the same person. Again we have more people
        now so we might not need to put the whole thing on one set of shoulders any more.

        Lastly we in some ways might want to likewise separate off the position of
        host or default caller from the planner, not everyone who could plan a good ball,
        can or likes to run the show the night of - though if they want to this is fine.
        This has started to happen a little as a few people have played rotating caller
        at the ball and the whole host thing is very informal anyway.

        anybody else have thoughts on any of this?