RE: [CalontirDance] I am looking for the sheet music to several dances--please help. Thank you, Lady Barbara, al-Barran, Outlands

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19, 2003
      >Also, there is a dance we got from Caerthe (Denver, Colorado)
      >titled Espanoylet (I don't know the name of the music used)

      Just asking here, could this be a form of the name Spagnoletta?
      If so there are 2 dances (different music it could refer to)
      Lo Spagnoletta and Spagnoletta Regulata (spelling approximate on both).

      Conrad
    • Keith McClune
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 19, 2003
        Hi there:

        > >Also, there is a dance we got from Caerthe (Denver, Colorado)
        > >titled Espanoylet (I don't know the name of the music used)
        >
        > Just asking here, could this be a form of the name Spagnoletta?
        > If so there are 2 dances (different music it could refer to)
        > Lo Spagnoletta and Spagnoletta Regulata (spelling approximate on both).

        This is definitely different dance. Both the music and steps are completely
        different. Espanyolet is a Catalan folk dance, as I recall. As far as I know,
        that's the name of the music.

        I learned the dance 25 years ago, when it was only known in Caerthe. As it was
        told to me, the music came from an LP (that's an old fashioned vinyl record, to
        you kids out there) that included instructions for the dance. The person that
        introduced the dance hasn't played in years, but if I dig around, I may be able
        to track down some more details, at least.

        Keith / Guillaume S:}>
      • Amy and Bill Morris
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 19, 2003
          I've danced both, though not recently. Seems to me they're different,
          though I suppose that could be different interpretations. Isn't Spagnole'
          the one known informally as "obsequious grovelling"? I learned that one
          from Francesca di Pavia about 13 years ago. She may not have the music but
          should be able to point you in the correct direction.

          Mableth

          http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/dances-list.html
          http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Music/