RE: german dance

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2003
      >If anyone knows where there will be any good dancing

      Well Pennsic of course and the Midrealm is know for dancing.
      The Midrealm/Northshield will make a dance Laurel at Pennsic
      (Etienne). Not sure what else is going on int that area over
      the summer, all the big dance events I know of are late fall or
      spring.

      >or has any tips on how to get started with some
      >research of my own (mostly about German dance), I would appreciate
      >the information.

      German dance is tough - to my knowledge thare are no widely available sources
      of pre-1600 german dance. There is the Nurenburg manuscript but that seems
      to be Italian style dances. Alemands are by popular myth thought to be german
      in origin but I've never seen this documneted.

      So theres a whole area for you to work on! Speaking/reading german will
      certianly help. Find even one or two dances and you could be THE expert
      in the field ;)

      Here is the SCA Dance page with links to lots of stuff, all of which
      I have not even explored. http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/dance.html
      I will also ask around a bit at Pennsic to see if there is anything
      new out there.