RE: [CalontirDance] dance reconstruction criteria

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 22, 2003
      >In music performance, it's easier to score more points with a more complex
      >piece. But you can receive extra points on a simple piece if it's ornamented
      >in a period style.

      >Conna

      I think the key word here is performance vs. reconstruction.
      I think dance reconstruction is more similar to music transcription.

      How would embellishments be handled when transcribing music?

      In dance performance adding appropriate ornamentation would
      definitely increase the complexity of something.

      I'm not sure if we want to go there for reconstruction. IMO the definition
      of ornamentation is "something extra to do that the dance master doesn't
      bother to write down when and where to do it" - so adding ornamentations
      while fine for the performance (which isn't judged directly for a reconstruction)
      would not necessarily make the reconstruction harder.

      In many ways the performance is just so people can see how things work, the actual result
      is how to do a dance not the dance itself.

      Conrad

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 22, 2003
        Yes, you're absolutely right. Embellishments should _not_ be included in a
        transcription. Doing so would change them from embellishments to required
        bits, and that would be inaccurate.

        There are examples of music written down in which a later version has the
        embellishments written in as part of the music. That's the evolution over
        time of a simple tune that's been embellished a lot. For a music
        transcription entry, I think it would be reasonable to allow for extra
        points if the entrant included a section in the documentation describing the
        types of embellishment that would be appropriate and a second copy of the
        music showing some of this embellishment.

        So, for dance reconstruction, extra point if embellishments are discussed in
        the documentation? Maybe I'm pushing it here. I'd like people to choose a
        dance style appropriate for their persona and not get docked on points
        because it's a simpler style.

        Conna