Re: [CalontirDance] dance reconstruction criteria

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 22 8:14 AM
      In music performance, it's easier to score more points with a more complex
      piece. But you can receive extra points on a simple piece if it's ornamented
      in a period style.

      Conna

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 22 8:20 AM
        >In music performance, it's easier to score more points with a more complex
        >piece. But you can receive extra points on a simple piece if it's ornamented
        >in a period style.

        >Conna

        I think the key word here is performance vs. reconstruction.
        I think dance reconstruction is more similar to music transcription.

        How would embellishments be handled when transcribing music?

        In dance performance adding appropriate ornamentation would
        definitely increase the complexity of something.

        I'm not sure if we want to go there for reconstruction. IMO the definition
        of ornamentation is "something extra to do that the dance master doesn't
        bother to write down when and where to do it" - so adding ornamentations
        while fine for the performance (which isn't judged directly for a reconstruction)
        would not necessarily make the reconstruction harder.

        In many ways the performance is just so people can see how things work, the actual result
        is how to do a dance not the dance itself.

        Conrad

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 22 8:35 AM
          Yes, you're absolutely right. Embellishments should _not_ be included in a
          transcription. Doing so would change them from embellishments to required
          bits, and that would be inaccurate.

          There are examples of music written down in which a later version has the
          embellishments written in as part of the music. That's the evolution over
          time of a simple tune that's been embellished a lot. For a music
          transcription entry, I think it would be reasonable to allow for extra
          points if the entrant included a section in the documentation describing the
          types of embellishment that would be appropriate and a second copy of the
          music showing some of this embellishment.

          So, for dance reconstruction, extra point if embellishments are discussed in
          the documentation? Maybe I'm pushing it here. I'd like people to choose a
          dance style appropriate for their persona and not get docked on points
          because it's a simpler style.

          Conna