RE: [CalontirDance] new people !-15th century Italian

  • Stewart, Sara
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2003

      There are unfortunately as yet no real good source for 15th century Italian before 1450 or so (Domenico, and a little later Ebrero and cornanzano ). One of Ebrero’s dance book is even on line.There are a couple of sources that discuss dance but they date from near the same year.( Magliabechiana Cod. XXV, 24)

      There have been some new manuscripts found but I believe these too fall into the second half of the 15th century.

      There are discussions of styles of steps done in the 14th century / early 15th century(i.e. saltarello) , However while we have extant music for this time period, no choreographies have as yet been discovered, and even the step descriptions are sketchy.

      There are some French basse dances that we have choreographies for from earlier in the 15th century.

      Hope that helps

      Seonaid

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 21, 2003
        Thanks for the information Seonaid. I'll have to dig into that and see what I can come up with.

        Grazi,
        Giudo