Music Request and new list member intro

  • Mableth (Breichiol map LLudd o Fannauc)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2003
      Greetings and Salutations,
      I am Breichiol map LLudd o Fannauc, usually known as Mableth. My
      family and I reside in Shadowdale. I have been dancing in the SCA for
      23 years after starting in the then incipient college of Gnomountain
      in Calontir then a Region of the Midrealm. My lady-wife is named
      Sigrid, who may very well post on her own. We met at a mundane
      English country dance. We ran the most recent North East Calontir
      regional dance practice.

      I could use better dance music up here. Most of my current resources
      are on tape, and getting old from too many events. I am looking both
      for recommendations for which CD's to buy to support dances commonly
      danced in Calontir, and for a source for travelling dance CD's. I
      don't have the ability to burn CD's.

      I also want to thank Tsire for telling me about this list. Somehow I
      had never realized that it existed. I subscribed to the SCA dance
      list for a while, but left because there just wasn't very much useful
      on it.

      Mableth
    • Rowan of Three Rivers
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 14, 2003
        Well this should be easy.
        Suggested CDs:
        NY Ren Band - Country Capers: Only problem with it is that the songs are 'bundled' so it can be a pain to cue the one you want
        Music Subteranea - two nice CDs but I think the first (and more usefull one IMHO) is out of print
        Tape of Dance 2-4: Good selections,good versions, support Letter of Dance
        Inns of Court: for all the pavans and almans

        These are the four titles that I pull out most often. Dragon Scale Concert also has a very nice CD out with beautiful - but a bit slow for dancing - tunes on it. And Companions of St Cecilia is probably pulled out almost as often as the Tapes of Dance.

        Obtaining CDs: Even easier.
        Tomes and Tunes carries a nice bundle of the Tape of Dance CDs and a few others, Conrad has burned a couple of nice mixes from various sorces, and Eric burns CDs and sells them at near cost to the SCA dance community. Go to http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/CD-offer.html

        Hope this helps.
        Rowan

        >Greetings and Salutations,
        > I am Breichiol map LLudd o Fannauc, usually known as Mableth. My
        >family and I reside in Shadowdale. I have been dancing in the SCA for
        >23 years after starting in the then incipient college of Gnomountain
        >in Calontir then a Region of the Midrealm. My lady-wife is named
        >Sigrid, who may very well post on her own. We met at a mundane
        >English country dance. We ran the most recent North East Calontir
        >regional dance practice.
        >
        >I could use better dance music up here. Most of my current resources
        >are on tape, and getting old from too many events. I am looking both
        >for recommendations for which CD's to buy to support dances commonly
        >danced in Calontir, and for a source for travelling dance CD's. I
        >don't have the ability to burn CD's.
        >
        >I also want to thank Tsire for telling me about this list. Somehow I
        >had never realized that it existed. I subscribed to the SCA dance
        >list for a while, but left because there just wasn't very much useful
        >on it.
        >
        >Mableth

      • Amy and Bill Morris
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 14, 2003
          > NY Ren Band - Country Capers: Only problem with it is that the songs are
          'bundled' so it can be a pain to cue the one you want

          I've already got their Arbeau Orchesographie CD. Quite useful. I thought
          this one was out of print, but when I checked country capers is back in
          print, and Orchesographie seems to be back out.

          Music Subteranea - two nice CDs but I think the first (and more usefull one
          IMHO) is out of print

          http://musicasubterranea.dhs.org/order.html according to their web page
          both CDs have now been reprinted.

          > Inns of Court: for all the pavans and almans

          Is this the one by Jouissance?

          > Obtaining CDs: Even easier.
          > Tomes and Tunes carries a nice bundle of the Tape of Dance CDs and a few
          others, Conrad has burned a couple of nice mixes from various sorces, and
          Eric burns CDs and sells them at near cost to the SCA dance community. Go to
          http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/CD-offer.html

          I think the mix from Conrad was the one I was looking for for short term
          use. Those particular versions seem to be popular around her. How can I
          contact him???

          Some of the others are likely to go onto my xmas gift list.

          > Hope this helps.
          > Rowan

          Thanks, Mableth

          By the way check out
          http://www.harmoniamundi.com

          They have finally put their catalog on the web. Try searching their catalog
          for dance. For a really frustrating experience, try changing country and
          going to the UK version of their site. They list even more CD's.
          apparently only part of their catalog is available in the US.