Re: Lillies Ball

  • Katriana <calonkat@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 29, 2003
      Well, I can certainly run musicians at the ball. Conna was
      interested in doing music all over Lilies again and said that running
      afternoon practices was not a problem for her (I've had poor luck in
      past years scheduling practices.)

      katriana
      --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, "Tsire Tuzevo" <tsire@h...>
      wrote:

      > Hi all!
      >
      > Well its that time of year again - the time of year where you work
      > dileegently shoveling a driveway while planning dilegently for the
      summer
      > sun and of course Lillie's War.
      > For me the war wouldnt be the war without the ball and the
      wonderful array
      > of classes. Here comes the pitch....ready?
      >
      > Looking for teachers (21 hours worth) of all levels, syles and
      interests to
      > teach dance classes this year at the war - also looking for someone
      who
      > would like to head up the fatastic musician jamboree that we are
      becomming
      > famous for - and one more - looking for suggestions for the ball.
      What do
      > you want to see on the list , and what could never be on a ball
      again for
      > all you care? I want to know! I need to know! Let me have it!
      >
      > E-mail me directly at tsire@h... I look forward to it.

      > Help STOP SPAM: Try the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*
    • Valdemar and Constancia
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1 10:55 AM
        Go CONNA!

        Ha HA!
        Constantia

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3 8:47 AM
          Hmmm. Just to clarify. There will be music practice for the ball every day,
          and I'm willing to be the point man on that. I'm going to try to get it on
          the schedule and everything. I encourage musicians to come to these
          practices. Nothing shakes my confidence like a musician trying to sight read
          ball music AT the ball. I'd like to set aside an hour every afternoon to
          practice.

          As for music all over Lilies . . . well, I'm not the cheerleader that
          Constantia is. I'm not going to try to organize anything like what she had
          last year. But I'm trying to get some classes lined up for RUSH. (Does that
          count?)

          Conna
          parttime slacker

          > From: "Valdemar and Constancia" <ironfist@...>
          > Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 12:55:00 -0600
          > To: <CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] Re: Lillies Ball
          >
          > Go CONNA!
          >
          > Ha HA!
          > Constantia

        • Evelyn Alden
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3 9:36 AM
            Conna, the deadline for requesting tents is in March.

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3 9:37 AM
              March 1st in fact. Thought this is the deadline for
              requesting a tent to be rented, not for requesting space in a tent.

              Conrad

              Conna, the deadline for requesting tents is in March.

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 3 9:47 AM
                I'd appreciate the list's input on this topic. It was nice to have a tent on
                the battlefield for the musicians to gather every afternoon, but so few
                people use it. Just musicians. Does that justify the cost of tent rental?

                Comments, please.

                Conna

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 3 9:53 AM
                  Define use the thet - if theres music on the field and people here it and
                  its only there because the tent provides shade to play then anyone who hears
                  the music uses the tent.

                  Next the smallest tent is only $142.50 divide that by 1600 and its 8.9 cents per
                  person. Do I get a dimes worth of enjoyment from music on the battletfield. Yes,
                  probably worth at least a quarter! :)

                  Now could you use some other shade provider, would it be worth it to haul and
                  set up? Also remember the battles are between 11 AM and 2 PM this year. Do you think
                  that will change participation any?

                  Conrad

                  I'd appreciate the list's input on this topic. It was nice to have a tent on
                  the battlefield for the musicians to gather every afternoon, but so few
                  people use it. Just musicians. Does that justify the cost of tent rental?

                  Comments, please.

                  Conna

                  > From: "Sauer, Michael F." <sauerm@...>
                  > Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 11:37:56 -0600
                  > To: <CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com>
                  > Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] Re: Lillies Ball
                  >
                  > March 1st in fact. Thought this is the deadline for
                  > requesting a tent to be rented, not for requesting space in a tent.
                  >
                  > Conrad
                  >

                  > Conna, the deadline for requesting tents is in March.
                  >
                  > katriana

                • Evelyn Alden
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 3 10:10 AM
                    And the Bardic "college" might be interested in having
                    get-togethers at a battlefield-side tent. Marcus
                    teaches an army singing class that would be very
                    appropriate there.

                    http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                  • Maerwynn of Holme
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 3 12:18 PM
                      Conna wrote:

                      I'd appreciate the list's input on this topic. It was nice to have a tent on
                      the battlefield for the musicians to gather every afternoon, but so few
                      people use it. Just musicians. Does that justify the cost of tent rental?

                      In a word: YES!

                      The music was commented on by several people--and enjoyed, too. As someone who wasn't one of the musicians using it, I think it's definitely worth it.

                      :-)

                      Maerwynn

                      ---
                      Maerwynn of Holme
                      Lonely Tower, Calontir
                      Maerwynn@...
                      Hwæt! Ic swefna cyst secgan wylle...
                    • Valdemar and Constancia
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 3 5:03 PM
                        RIGHT ON Maerwynn!!!

                        Constantia

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 3 5:03 PM
                          We only used the tent last year for about 2-3 hours a day- during battles
                          for ball practice.
                          Doesn't mean that it can't be used MORE!
                          I didn't even know I was GETTING a tent last year until I arrived at the
                          war - If I HAD known, I would have tried to have all of the music classes
                          taught there too.
                          That tent could have been utilized WAY more.
                          Even music practice, or classes, is a way to bring more music to "da
                          people", but not if we're stuck in RUSH land.
                          If we know in advance that we have a tent to use, I bet we could use it a
                          LOT more.

                          The practice sessions were a great hit last year.
                          Part of it was due, I think to knowing we had such a great place to call our
                          own and keep out of the sun.
                          A place we couldn't get bumped out of.
                          My two cents,
                          Constantia

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 4 9:03 AM
                            Thanks Conrad and Maerwynn for your input. (And yes, Constantia, too.)

                            I'll talk to Lilies people to see if we can get a tent. And I'll ask RUSH if
                            all the music classes can be held there. It would have been nice last year
                            for the instrument petting zoo class not to be honking on the zurnas right
                            next to the other RUSH classes.

                            Thanks for your responses.

                            Conna

                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 18, 2003
                              Greetings Everyone

                              I know it seems like the Lilier War is far far away as we trudge knee deep
                              in holday madness - but just for you early thingers and planner who cant
                              resit an advance sneak peek - here's the set list for this year's Lillies
                              Ball. (don't worry procrastinators - it'll get posted again closer to the
                              actual relevant timeframe - ;) )

                              Lilies Ball XX

                              Set I
                              Carolingian Pavane (and Galliard)
                              Gathering Peascods
                              Anello
                              My Lady Cullen
                              Official Bransle
                              Black Alman

                              Set II
                              Heralds in Love
                              Contrapasso in Due
                              Petit Riens
                              Ly Bens Dystonis
                              Hearts Ease
                              Il Piantions(The Pinwheel Game)

                              Set III
                              Maanschaft Pavane
                              Lorraine Alman
                              Korrobushka
                              Black Nag
                              Gelosia
                              Jenny Pluck Pears

                              Set IV
                              Picking of Sticks
                              Amoroso
                              Bransle Charlotte
                              Rosti Bolli
                              Casuel Nouvelle
                              Bizzaria d�Amore

                              ~ Pick-up/Request dancing to follow the Ball ~

                              providers now. https://broadband.msn.com