FW: dancing at the war

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 27, 1999
      Greetings all

      Her Ladyship Katriana and I will be organizing the Ball for Lilies 14.
      It will again be on Thursday evening, current plans call for no
      nighttime fighting this night, but it will be concurrent with
      the Merchants torchlight sale. This could be a good thing as
      the central clearing will likely be the focus of that evening.

      Our initial goal is to select dances (and music) in time to get
      the steps and tunes to a large number of people. My hope is to
      make this info available to any who want it by spring coronation.
      This should give many a chance to learn and practice.

      To that end I am looking for suggestions to add to the dance
      list I have included below. Actually their are 2 lists. The
      first is the list of tha ball itself. I would like to keep
      this moderately short. I am currently thinking of 4 sets of 6
      dances. The second list is the dances available for request.
      These will be those available to be done after the "official"
      ball ends. I feel their is need to put together this list
      to encourage as many people as possible to learn these
      (though its likely many of these will be taught that night)
      and so that we may have prepared musicians.

      Initial dance list

      I've tried to balance location, style and tempo of all of these
      dances but they all have one thing in common, they are all ones I know.
      I am speciffically looking for reasonably easy original or regional
      dances.

      Dances for the Ball proper
      in alphabetical order

      Amoroso (Italian balli)
      Black Allemande (Arbeau/Inns of Court)
      Calontir Bransle (SCA dance to period music)
      Candlestick Bransle (Arbeau)
      Carloingian Pavan (SCA dance to music from Arbeau)
      Charlotta Bransle (Arbeau)
      Dargason (Playford, 1st)
      Earl of Salisbury Pavan (Arbeau)
      Gathering Peascods (Playford, 1st)
      Gelosia (Italian balli)
      Hearts Ease (Playford, 1st)
      Heralds in Love (SCA, reasonalby ECDish)
      Horses Bransle (Arbeau)
      Jenny Plucks Pears (Playford, 1st)
      Lorayne Allmande (Arbeau/Inns of Court)
      SCA Maltese Bransle (SCA, style of Arbeau)
      Mannschaft Pavan (SCA somewhat period style)
      New boe Peep (Playford, 1st)
      Official Bransle (Arbeau)
      Petit Riens (Italian balli)
      Quen Quer Que (SCA to 13th cent. music (cantiga))
      Rostiboli (Italian balli)
      Rufty Tufty (Playford, 1st)
      Scottish Bransle (Arbeau)

      Available for request
      in alphabetical order
      Agreers (Playford, 1st)
      Anello (Italian balli)
      Angus Reel (?)
      Black Nag (Playford, not 1st)
      Goddesses (Playford, 1st)
      Grimstock (Playford, 1st)
      Hole in the Wall (Playford, not 1st)
      Ivy Allemande (SCA)
      Korabushka (SCA)
      L'Escargot (??)
      Maid Peept out at the window (Playford, 1st)
      Mage on a Cree (Playford, 1st)
      Mediritza (Folk dance?)
      Montard Bransle (Arbeau)
      None Such (Playford, 1st)
      Parsons farwell (Playford, 1st)
      Pease Bransle (Arbeau)
      Picking of Sticks (Playford, 1st)
      Pinagay Bransle (Arbeau)
      Pizochara (Italian balli)
      Queens Allmande (Arbeau/Inns of Court)
      Scottland the Brave (SCA)
      Sellengers Round (Playford, not 1st)
      Tangle Bransle (Arbeau?)
      Trenchmore (Playford, not 1st)
      Washerwomans Bransle (Arbeau)
      Whirligig (Playford, 1st)

      I will maintain a list of these and any others I receive on the web at
      http://cd.murr.missouri.edu/mikes/dance/lilies-ball/dance-list.html

      http://cd.murr.missouri.edu/mikes/dance/lilies-ball/ - site index page

      I will also periodically send an update to this list.

      When including a dance please indicate its origin or at least the style its
      done in. Also please indicate if you have music. There are three types of
      music I want to track; tapes (to give to teachers for practice); melody -
      the main melody line (like given in Arbeau?); full score - multipart score.

      My current hope is to collect possible dances through fall crown. Not
      entirely coincidentially this is after Crystal Ball, in case I learn
      something new there. But you don't have to wait, start teaching (or
      learning) dances on this list now.

      Conrad Martin von Kassel
      sauerm@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 27, 1999
        Conrad--
        You're awesome! Your list for Lilies 14 gives me all kinds of time to
        practice!

        By the way, I have the list for Crystal Ball. Would it be helpful if I posted
        it to this list?

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 28, 1999
          >By the way, I have the list for Crystal Ball. Would it be helpful if I
          posted
          >it to this list?

          Yes

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 28, 1999
            > Your list for Lilies 14 gives me all kinds of time to practice!

            Thats the idea. But this is not the final list. I want more suggestions!