Call for Letter of Dance Submissions

  • Catherine Dean
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2001
      Katherine Mercer, newly appointed editor of the Letter
      of Dance sends heartfelt greetings unto the dancers of
      the Knowne World:

      Master William tells me that he has enough material to
      finish off the last issue of Volume 5 of the LoD, and
      so now it�s my turn to ask you all to consider
      submitting articles for publication in Volume Six. As
      in the past, anything related to medieval or
      renaissance dance or dancing within the SCA would be
      most welcome. In particular, I am interested in:

      Reconstructions of Dances in all Styles (particularly
      dances with easily available music, under-represented
      styles, or new interpretations of familiar dances)
      CD and Book Reviews
      Articles on Period Style (i.e., how to dance more
      "authentically")
      Articles on Dance Success Stories (there are a number
      of highly successful dance groups, guilds, and
      teachers out there�please share the secrets of your
      success!)
      Articles on Teaching/Working with Musicians (or
      working with Dancers, if you�re a musician!!)/Running
      Dance at an Event/ Etc. (i.e., anything related to the
      practice of dance within the SCA)
      And of course Research Papers on specific aspects of
      dance evolution or practice.

      I would also like to specifically encourage articles
      on the state of original choreography in the SCA, both
      How-To articles and descriptions of particular
      reconstructions for possible inclusion in a special
      reconstruction-themed article. When submitting new
      dances, I would like to encourage authors to discuss
      why they made the particular choices they made in
      creating the reconstruction.

      First time contributors are especially encouraged to
      submit articles!

      I am considering instituting a peer-editing process to
      help improve the quality of the publication. I don�t
      forsee this being too formal or unpleasant, but I
      think it would be a good idea to have LoD authors help
      each other to make their submissions as good as
      possible. I would love to hear your opinions on this
      possibility.

      Copies of the current (revised) editorial policies are
      on the LoD�s website at:
      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/lod/editorial.html. I
      will be happy to send a copy of the new editorial
      guidelines to anyone interested in submitting to the
      LoD who cannot access that webpage. Any questions or
      potential submissions should be addressed to me at:
      letterofdance@... or Letter of Dance, c/o
      Catherine Dean, 2006 Columbia Pike, Apt. #12,
      Arlington, VA 22204.

      Information on subscribing to Volume Six will follow
      in December or January.

      My apologies if you get this message more than once.
      This letter has been sent to the following lists:
      SCA-Dance, AtenDance, CalontirDance, meridies-dance,
      OutlandsDance, and the Atlantian Dance Academie.
      PLEASE forward it to any and all interested parties
      (especially local guilds and dance groups).

      =====
      Katherine Mercer,
      Editor of The Letter of Dance
      letterofdance@...