Re: [CalontirDance] Lilies ball music questions

    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2001
      Hi all Musicians for Lillies from the Ball Brat Tsire

      Answers that I can think of:

      Could we possibly play Grimstock and Rufty Tufty in G?
      Fine with me as long as all agree on it.

      Rostiboli and Gelosia are missing the ends of the dances if we are doing
      the versions out of Joy and Jealosy. Are we doing different versions?
      Traditional or more comfortable versions are always acceptable again,
      agreement is the key.

      > > Anello shows a repeat of the last section. Are we doing the repeat the
      >music shows?

      again, same answer, tradition, comfort and agreement are key.

      > > Hearts Ease shows the first part repeating, but that will make 4 times
      > > through the "verse" part. Are we doing the dance differently?

      3 times please

      > > Dashing White Sergeant and Road to the Isles aren't included, not a
      > > problem, 'cause I've got sheet music. Are we doing Road to the Isles or
      >Scotland the Brave?
      Thsi is a favorite distinction of your Katriana :) _ We are doing the most
      widely accepted Scotland the Brave...not the flok song Road tot he Isles.

      Yay for sheet music for dashing White Seargeant, I was unable to find a copy
      ..Katriana saves my rear again! All hail the sheet music vortex.
      Let me know what else I can do to make this as spiffy as possible for all
      musicians who are good enough to play for us silly old dancer types!

    • Katriana
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2001
        At 03:04 PM 5/7/01 -0500, you wrote:
        >Hi all Musicians for Lillies from the Ball Brat Tsire

        >Traditional or more comfortable versions are always acceptable again,
        >agreement is the key.

        The big concern is that we practice the music the way it will be danced.
        If we practice the version of Rostiboli out of Joy and Jealousy and then
        the dance taught at Lilies matches the Lilies music and DOESN'T have the
        saltarellos and movimentos at the end, then the musicians will (once again)
        confuse the dancers. If we practice the music provided and the dancers are
        expecting to saltarello and we start again with the beginning, the same
        problem occurs. Are the steps as they will be done at the ball available?

        >> > Hearts Ease shows the first part repeating, but that will make 4 times
        >> > through the "verse" part. Are we doing the dance differently?
        >
        >3 times please

        OK, so you want it to be "up a double and back, that again, that again"
        then the chorus?

        Or are you affirming that there are 3 verses total?

        http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/lod/vol2/hearts_ease.html (article with the 1st
        edition) and
        http://www.shipbrook.com/jeff/playford/40.html (2nd edition) shows that the
        "verse" part goes through 2 times for each verse, the action and "that
        again" and that's the way I've always played it. Phaedra's music shows 4
        times through the "verse music" (a repeat written out and also a repeat
        symbol!)
        (and for those who haven't seen the originals before, the music repeats are
        down in the dance instructions)

        I'll get the music for scotland and dashing white sergeants up as soon as I
        can (and maybe Conrad can make a pdf file for us)

        Message 3 of 6 , May 8, 2001
          katriana et al

          >Are the steps as they will be done at the ball available?
          >They should be on the web site and I can send anyone a word attachment as
          >well ( they are basically the same as would be found in a Terpsichore at
          >the Tower book if that helps.

          Three verses, three choruses, done

          pdf of DWS and RD-Isles would be fantastic. Send away.

          Keep the questions coming I'll punt as best I can.

        • Katriana
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2001
            Tsire,

            Please send the steps as a word attachment to me

            katriana@...
            or
            calonkat@...

            Thanks,