Re: Dance

  • Katriana
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 1999
      >BTW, do you remember the name of the other lady who joined you?
      >I think she's from Forgotten Sea.

      Yes, I think so, and I should know her name and don't :(

      >> The dances were appropriate (ie, very few oop :) )
      >>
      >That depends on who you talk too, I guess your not in the don't
      >count 1st playford crowd.
      >
      >I think your more forgiving that I was of myself after KWDS

      I try never to judge what goes on in the hinterlands :) against what goes
      on amongst people from the east coast.

      >Caroligian Pavan --- SCA choreography, reasonably period like
      >Calontir Bransle --- SCA choreography, sort of period like

      And both written to period music :)

      Sellengers Round --- ECD and not even 1st edition

      3rd edition, 1657. Maybe not first, but certainly the correct style (if
      you leave out the whoosh verse <g>)

      Angus Reel --- Don't know where this came from
      Korobushka --- 1930's broadway

      Modern folk. Angus Reel we didn't do, so I don't hold it against you :)
      Korobushka (written by Russian immegrants in this century) I accept, just
      because we have so many Slavic personas in Calontir (and the SCA at large)
      and I do not believe we will ever document a period "Russian" dance.

      Hole In the Wall --- ECD (1st)

      Actually, not first. Playford first has it in (this is hard to follow, but
      bear with me) The second edition of the supplement to the ninth edition
      (1698) Stylistically (sp?) it has nothing in common with dances for our
      period. A lot in common with dances of the colonial era, so we could
      easily segue from HiTW to a whole Rev War thing :)

      Mannschaft Pavan --- SCA choreography, sort of period like
      Heralds in Love --- SCA choreography, very of period like
      Horses Bransle --- Arbeau
      Petit Vriens --- 15th Cen Itialian
      Scotland the Brave --- SCA/ Modern

      This is an SCA composite dance. I'll accept it for the same reason as
      Korobushka, I don't think we'll ever document a period Scottish dance. If
      anyone comes up with a more period russion or scottish dance, I'd be
      willing to switch. I'm not really interested in learning (or teaching) folk
      dance in the SCA, so I have no (nil, none) interest in learning other
      russian or scottish dances.

      Trenchmore --- A reel?

      Trenchmore is Playford, 2nd edition. We do the dance out of Playford, but
      not the tune. I usually play the tune for Dargason, just because it's
      short and I can play it forever. It was introduced to the SCA to replace
      the reel that was being done (name escapes me, but very simple the way the
      SCA did it)

      >Mostly I just wanted to get people there. I'll try to sneek in a new dance
      or two every time.

      Yup, that's the way to do it.

      >Actually having live musicians at the ball was much easier.
      >Among all the other advantages, I haven't ever seen a voice activated
      >boom box, yet :)

      And continuous loop and speed adjustment on the fly :)

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 1999
        Katriana wrote:
        > Conrad,
        >
        > I've been meaning to tell you what a great job I thought you did on the
        > Crown ball.
        > I truly appreciate the work you went to in finding the music and having
        > live musicians.

        Conrad,
        This goes for me, too! I was really impressed. You had a great list of music,
        and well organized--I don't take this for granted anymore. And people came and
        danced! In Calontir! I had a great time. Thanks, too, for the feast. It was a
        very nice touch.

        As a side note, I should mention how thrilled Mairi McLanagan (a young one
        from B3R) was to be included in with the musicians on the Carolingian. She
        practiced it for nearly 2 months. She came back from Crown very psyched, and
        has asked me for more sheet music so she can practice over the summer while
        she's out of school. In a few years . . .

        Does anyone have any news of a ball at Lillies??