Looking for music...

  • Trisha
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 16, 2013
      Hi, I'm Mara and I'm from Gleann Abhann. I'm looking for resources to start dance in my area. I have one CD with about a dozen different dances, but the CD doesn't have many requested dances. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for CDs or music to purchase to help. Right now, I'm really thinking CDs might be best as coordinating with musicians might be tough for us to start out with, but any and all help is appreciated. I can often find the steps to songs when I can't find the music.
      YIS,
      Mara the Red
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 17, 2013
        Mara

        The first place I would recommend for SCA dance music on CD is Musica Subterranea http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/musicasubterranea1
        They are a group of SCA musicians who have recorded very nice dance tunes. I recommend their discs in the order published as for popularity of dances.

        What dances are your people requesting, this could help with further suggestions.

        Conrad Martin von Kassel

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 17, 2013
          I would agree that Musica Subterranea is an excellent source/cd. The
          Dragon Scale Consort CD is also a good basic dance cd.

          If you need any songs/requests that you can't seem to find on a cd feel
          free to e-mail me and I can record some for you. It would be basic,
          however something is better than nothing :)

          ~Alessandra

        • Mary Railing
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 17, 2013
            If you know what dances you are looking for, the Renaissance Dance Database will tell you what recordings (if any) are available. It will also tell you where to find sheet music or instructions. These days, a lot of dance music can be bought online as individual tracks.
            http://www.rendancedb.org/

            --Urraca