An Idea that Worked Well

  • ChrisM
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2012
      This past weekend, thee was a ball at Crown Tournament.
      There was also a ball at the 12th Night event in Ayerton (the Chicagoland barony in the Middle Kingdom). I was running the musicians there, and the fellow in charge of the ball did something I thought was novel and clever, and it turned out well.

      He had short sets: 5 dances each. But the sets were themed: English Country, 16th Century Italian, Basse Dances and Bransles, etc.

      This way, people who liked certain types of dances were able to attend the parts of the ball they liked, and waner off to a bardic circle for a half hour when they knew the ball was coming up with a set they didn't much care for. And there's an obvious advantage to teaching several, say, English Country dances in a row.

      I'm not suggesting that every ball do this. But I offer it as something to think of, the next time you're planning a ball.

      So, how did the dancing at Crown go?

      --Christian d'Hiver
      music guy, Shadowdale
    • Sarah Kaiser
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 17, 2012
        Terpsichore at the Tower is April 19th, The Black Rose Ball is in
        March, Saltare and KWDS are in June.
      • Starr Mahoney
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 17, 2012
          I like that idea. Thanks for posting Christian.

          Lucia (from B3R)