Re: musicians' area at Lilies

  • Albizzi
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 28, 2010
      I believe that there is no problem being wherever the battlefield is as long as this time the waterbearers tent is between us and fighter tents. The fact that we were right next to them was confusing to some of them about usage. If not by the battlefield then the next best idea would be in the A and S area. Of course with the music classes usually there (I plan on teaching a couple myself) that might not be a bad idea either. If it is in A and S then noontime singing and all other activities might be more regularly attended. (Hope I didn't make it all more confusing).

      Zino

      --- In CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com, "brighid.omahuna" <brenknox@...> wrote:

      > I know Lilies is a long way off, but I would like your opinion on the location of the music tent during the coming year. I am on Lilies staff this year as music coordinator. What are your feelings about music by the battlefield?
      > With the battlefield located down near "Hell and Gone," some of you thought that was quite a trek with instruments, chairs and stands. Also, we did have problems with the fighters keeping equipage in our area, which had to be moved each time we had a class or rehearsal. In the past, the fighters had expressed appreciation for music at the battlefield, so I would like you to ask your favorite fighter about it. As far as I know, I am the only one who held a music class there last year.
      > Would you be interested in moving the music tent to, say, archery area this year? This would put music up in that part of the camp, and it would be appreciated by both the archers and merchants in that area. Would you like music to stay near the battlefield, but have our tent separated from fighters and waterbearing by some yards, if possible? What if the music tent was near the Broken Harp, so that Middle Eastern dance and music could also use it in the evenings informally?
      >
      > Discuss! Get back to me with your thoughts!
      > Thanks,
      > Ly Brighid O'Mahuna of Flinthyll

    • Brenda Knox
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 28, 2010
        Thanks, Zino. Still gathering information from folks, so I will let everyone know by early spring, if there's a move.
        Brighid

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2010
          I might like to hear from some of the fighters. In the past, they've liked
          having the musicians nearby. This year (I think for the first time), none of
          the fighters came to me to say they enjoyed it. Maybe they're just used to
          it, so didn't think to mention it. :) I'm not sure. But it might be worth
          asking around a bit.

          In the past, we haven't met in the RUSH area because we're such a
          disturbance to the other classes. I think it makes sense for us to be away
          from the other RUSH classes. I'd like to be in a spot where we can add to
          the ambiance for people. (Noontime singing works ok in the RUSH area because
          there are no other classes during that hour.)

          I can also see an argument for having music near the Broken Harp. It's worth
          discussing, I think.

          Cheers!
          Conna