Re: [CalontirDance] Help deciphering Playford

  • Brenda Knox
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
      Thanks, Conrad. It really is the same tune, just arranged a LEETLE bit
      different. This is a beautiful tune, and there are lyrics very good for
      holiday time that go with it. i wonder when they were composed?
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
        On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:38:22PM -0500, Brenda Knox wrote:

        > Thanks, Conrad. It really is the same tune, just arranged a LEETLE bit
        > different. This is a beautiful tune, and there are lyrics very good for
        > holiday time that go with it. i wonder when they were composed?

        The Playford tune, earliest known 1666, says Simpson in _The British
        Broadside Ballad & Its Music_. The lyrics, well, that depends on which
        lyrics you're looking at. None are known to be pre-1600.

        -- Gregory