Re: [CalontirDance] Help deciphering Playford

  • Brenda Knox
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
      Thanks, Conrad. It really is the same tune, just arranged a LEETLE bit
      different. This is a beautiful tune, and there are lyrics very good for
      holiday time that go with it. i wonder when they were composed?
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
        It is the same tune, and song. I LOVE IT!!! Thanks, Conrad.
        Brighid O'Mahuna of Flinthyll
        > On Oct 25, 2010, at 9:55 PM, Brenda Knox wrote:
        >

        > I don't know about the dance, but I have played a tune with the same
        > title. We used it as a waltz for a contra. There is a song on some Celtic
        > Christmas albums with the same tune. I am hoping it is the same one. Do
        > you have a link for the tune, or shall I shuffle around in the sca
        > waterloo site?
        > Brighid

      • Greg Lindahl
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
          On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:38:22PM -0500, Brenda Knox wrote:

          > Thanks, Conrad. It really is the same tune, just arranged a LEETLE bit
          > different. This is a beautiful tune, and there are lyrics very good for
          > holiday time that go with it. i wonder when they were composed?

          The Playford tune, earliest known 1666, says Simpson in _The British
          Broadside Ballad & Its Music_. The lyrics, well, that depends on which
          lyrics you're looking at. None are known to be pre-1600.

          -- Gregory