Re: [CalontirDance] Help deciphering Playford

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
      Hese's the tune right from playford

      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/playford_1651/046.pdf

      Conrad

      On Oct 25, 2010, at 9:55 PM, Brenda Knox wrote:

      I don't know about the dance, but I have played a tune with the same title. We used it as a waltz for a contra. There is a song on some Celtic Christmas albums with the same tune. I am hoping it is the same one. Do you have a link for the tune, or shall I shuffle around in the sca waterloo site?
      Brighid
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
        Thanks, Conrad. It really is the same tune, just arranged a LEETLE bit
        different. This is a beautiful tune, and there are lyrics very good for
        holiday time that go with it. i wonder when they were composed?
        > On Oct 25, 2010, at 9:55 PM, Brenda Knox wrote:
        >

        > I don't know about the dance, but I have played a tune with the same
        > title. We used it as a waltz for a contra. There is a song on some Celtic
        > Christmas albums with the same tune. I am hoping it is the same one. Do
        > you have a link for the tune, or shall I shuffle around in the sca
        > waterloo site?
        > Brighid

      • Brenda Knox
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
          It is the same tune, and song. I LOVE IT!!! Thanks, Conrad.
          Brighid O'Mahuna of Flinthyll
          > On Oct 25, 2010, at 9:55 PM, Brenda Knox wrote:
          >

          > I don't know about the dance, but I have played a tune with the same
          > title. We used it as a waltz for a contra. There is a song on some Celtic
          > Christmas albums with the same tune. I am hoping it is the same one. Do
          > you have a link for the tune, or shall I shuffle around in the sca
          > waterloo site?
          > Brighid

        • Greg Lindahl
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
            On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:38:22PM -0500, Brenda Knox wrote:

            > Thanks, Conrad. It really is the same tune, just arranged a LEETLE bit
            > different. This is a beautiful tune, and there are lyrics very good for
            > holiday time that go with it. i wonder when they were composed?

            The Playford tune, earliest known 1666, says Simpson in _The British
            Broadside Ballad & Its Music_. The lyrics, well, that depends on which
            lyrics you're looking at. None are known to be pre-1600.

            -- Gregory