Re: [CalontirDance] Help deciphering Playford

  • Brenda Knox
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
      I don't know about the dance, but I have played a tune with the same title. We used it as a waltz for a contra. There is a song on some Celtic Christmas albums with the same tune. I am hoping it is the same one. Do you have a link for the tune, or shall I shuffle around in the sca waterloo site?
      Brighid
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
        Hese's the tune right from playford

        http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/playford_1651/046.pdf

        Conrad

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
          Thanks, Conrad. It really is the same tune, just arranged a LEETLE bit
          different. This is a beautiful tune, and there are lyrics very good for
          holiday time that go with it. i wonder when they were composed?
          > On Oct 25, 2010, at 9:55 PM, Brenda Knox wrote:
          >

          > I don't know about the dance, but I have played a tune with the same
          > title. We used it as a waltz for a contra. There is a song on some Celtic
          > Christmas albums with the same tune. I am hoping it is the same one. Do
          > you have a link for the tune, or shall I shuffle around in the sca
          > waterloo site?
          > Brighid

        • Brenda Knox
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
            It is the same tune, and song. I LOVE IT!!! Thanks, Conrad.
            Brighid O'Mahuna of Flinthyll
            > On Oct 25, 2010, at 9:55 PM, Brenda Knox wrote:
            >

            > I don't know about the dance, but I have played a tune with the same
            > title. We used it as a waltz for a contra. There is a song on some Celtic
            > Christmas albums with the same tune. I am hoping it is the same one. Do
            > you have a link for the tune, or shall I shuffle around in the sca
            > waterloo site?
            > Brighid

          • Greg Lindahl
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
              On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:38:22PM -0500, Brenda Knox wrote:

              > Thanks, Conrad. It really is the same tune, just arranged a LEETLE bit
              > different. This is a beautiful tune, and there are lyrics very good for
              > holiday time that go with it. i wonder when they were composed?

              The Playford tune, earliest known 1666, says Simpson in _The British
              Broadside Ballad & Its Music_. The lyrics, well, that depends on which
              lyrics you're looking at. None are known to be pre-1600.

              -- Gregory