Re: [CalontirDance] Help deciphering Playford

  • Rowan
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
      Agree here too. The trick to this will be the timing for the dancers
      against the music. Since its for as many as will the pit master would need
      to be able to alter the number of repeats on the fly. This is why the
      Playford Project set "as many as will" to be 4 couples in a bunch of the
      redactions - so we could have set music for the musicians and the boom box
      to practice with. Somethings are just easier for dancers and musicains
      doing this as a hobby to deal with.

      HL Rowan Houndskeeper

      From: Sarah Kaiser <sarahkaiserstl@...>
      To: "CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com" <CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 22:39:05 -0500
      Subject: Re: [CalontirDance] Help deciphering Playford

      I agree with Conrad that this seems a feasible and reasonable reconstruction
      of the section.
      Fun!

      On Oct 24, 2010, at 9:54 PM, "Sauer, Michael F." <sauerm@...>
      wrote:

      > Oh a nice brain puzzle :)
      >

      >> first man backe a D.
      >
      > Back away from partner a double
      >
      >> then goe downe between the rest
      >
      > pass between the couples toward the bottom of the set
      >
      >> and turne the last Wo but one
      >
      > Turn (with 2 hands?) the second to last woman
      >
      >> then the last,
      >
      > Turn the last woman
      >
      >> and stay there
      >
      > Fall into last mans place
      >
      >> while the other men go between the 2. and the third We. and goe toward
      the left hand and fall downe to the first man

      > As the same time the second man passes between 2nd and 3rd women, goes
      toward the head of the line, around the first woman on down on the mans side
      of the line towards the 2nd to last mans place.

      > All other men follow so that the mens line is now reversed.
      >
      >> First man back, then goe up between the rest, turne the second Wo. then
      the first while the men go between the two last We. turne towards the right
      hand and goe up to your places

      > Essentially the reverse of the above, with the first man tuning the 2nd
      and first woman then returning to place, with the line of men going through
      the 2nd to last and last woman then around the bottom then up to their
      places.

      > Seems a little odd the in the first you go between the 2nd and 3rd, but in
      the second you go between the last and second to last. I think for the
      timing the 2nd through last man could start moving up just after the first
      mans has passed between them and their partner. Since this is long ways for
      as many as will , this will take a variable amount of time depending on the
      number of couples.

      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/dances/Playford/DriveWinter.txt

      > I'm having a hard time visualizing what's going on here during the
      refrain. Could someone kindly walk me through this?

      > --In joy and service,
      > Christian d'Hiver

    • Brenda Knox
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
        I don't know about the dance, but I have played a tune with the same title. We used it as a waltz for a contra. There is a song on some Celtic Christmas albums with the same tune. I am hoping it is the same one. Do you have a link for the tune, or shall I shuffle around in the sca waterloo site?
        Brighid

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
          Hese's the tune right from playford

          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/playford_1651/046.pdf

          Conrad

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
            Thanks, Conrad. It really is the same tune, just arranged a LEETLE bit
            different. This is a beautiful tune, and there are lyrics very good for
            holiday time that go with it. i wonder when they were composed?
            > On Oct 25, 2010, at 9:55 PM, Brenda Knox wrote:
            >

            > I don't know about the dance, but I have played a tune with the same
            > title. We used it as a waltz for a contra. There is a song on some Celtic
            > Christmas albums with the same tune. I am hoping it is the same one. Do
            > you have a link for the tune, or shall I shuffle around in the sca
            > waterloo site?
            > Brighid

          • Brenda Knox
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
              It is the same tune, and song. I LOVE IT!!! Thanks, Conrad.
              Brighid O'Mahuna of Flinthyll
              > On Oct 25, 2010, at 9:55 PM, Brenda Knox wrote:
              >

              > I don't know about the dance, but I have played a tune with the same
              > title. We used it as a waltz for a contra. There is a song on some Celtic
              > Christmas albums with the same tune. I am hoping it is the same one. Do
              > you have a link for the tune, or shall I shuffle around in the sca
              > waterloo site?
              > Brighid

            • Greg Lindahl
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
                On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:38:22PM -0500, Brenda Knox wrote:

                > Thanks, Conrad. It really is the same tune, just arranged a LEETLE bit
                > different. This is a beautiful tune, and there are lyrics very good for
                > holiday time that go with it. i wonder when they were composed?

                The Playford tune, earliest known 1666, says Simpson in _The British
                Broadside Ballad & Its Music_. The lyrics, well, that depends on which
                lyrics you're looking at. None are known to be pre-1600.

                -- Gregory