Help deciphering Playford

  • ChrisM
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 24, 2010
      I've been looking at the dance "Drive the Cold Winter Away."

      A transcription of Playford's descriftion is here: http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/dances/Playford/DriveWinter.txt

      I'm having a hard time visualizing what's going on here during the refrain. Could someone kindly walk me through this?

      --In joy and service,
      Christian d'Hiver
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 24, 2010
        Oh a nice brain puzzle :)

        >first man backe a D.

        Back away from partner a double

        >then goe downe between the rest

        pass between the couples toward the bottom of the set

        >and turne the last Wo but one

        Turn (with 2 hands?) the second to last woman

        >then the last,

        Turn the last woman

        >and stay there

        Fall into last mans place

        >while the other men go between the 2. and the third We. and goe toward the left hand and fall downe to the first man

        As the same time the second man passes between 2nd and 3rd women, goes toward the head of the line, around the first woman on down on the mans side of the line towards the 2nd to last mans place.

        All other men follow so that the mens line is now reversed.

        >First man back, then goe up between the rest, turne the second Wo. then the first while the men go between the two last We. turne towards the right hand and goe up to your places

        Essentially the reverse of the above, with the first man tuning the 2nd and first woman then returning to place, with the line of men going through the 2nd to last and last woman then around the bottom then up to their places.

        Seems a little odd the in the first you go between the 2nd and 3rd, but in the second you go between the last and second to last. I think for the timing the 2nd through last man could start moving up just after the first mans has passed between them and their partner. Since this is long ways for as many as will , this will take a variable amount of time depending on the number of couples.

        Conrad

        On Oct 24, 2010, at 9:11 PM, ChrisM wrote:

        I've been looking at the dance "Drive the Cold Winter Away."

        A transcription of Playford's descriftion is here: http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/dances/Playford/DriveWinter.txt

        I'm having a hard time visualizing what's going on here during the refrain. Could someone kindly walk me through this?

        --In joy and service,
        Christian d'Hiver
      • Sarah Kaiser
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 24, 2010
          I agree with Conrad that this seems a feasible and reasonable reconstruction of the section.
          Fun!

          On Oct 24, 2010, at 9:54 PM, "Sauer, Michael F." <sauerm@...> wrote:

          > Oh a nice brain puzzle :)
          >

          >> first man backe a D.
          >
          > Back away from partner a double
          >
          >> then goe downe between the rest
          >
          > pass between the couples toward the bottom of the set
          >
          >> and turne the last Wo but one
          >
          > Turn (with 2 hands?) the second to last woman
          >
          >> then the last,
          >
          > Turn the last woman
          >
          >> and stay there
          >
          > Fall into last mans place
          >
          >> while the other men go between the 2. and the third We. and goe toward the left hand and fall downe to the first man
          >
          > As the same time the second man passes between 2nd and 3rd women, goes toward the head of the line, around the first woman on down on the mans side of the line towards the 2nd to last mans place.
          >
          > All other men follow so that the mens line is now reversed.
          >
          >> First man back, then goe up between the rest, turne the second Wo. then the first while the men go between the two last We. turne towards the right hand and goe up to your places
          >
          > Essentially the reverse of the above, with the first man tuning the 2nd and first woman then returning to place, with the line of men going through the 2nd to last and last woman then around the bottom then up to their places.

          > Seems a little odd the in the first you go between the 2nd and 3rd, but in the second you go between the last and second to last. I think for the timing the 2nd through last man could start moving up just after the first mans has passed between them and their partner. Since this is long ways for as many as will , this will take a variable amount of time depending on the number of couples.
          >
          > Conrad
          >

          > On Oct 24, 2010, at 9:11 PM, ChrisM wrote:
          >

          > I've been looking at the dance "Drive the Cold Winter Away."
          >
          > A transcription of Playford's descriftion is here: http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/dances/Playford/DriveWinter.txt
          >
          > I'm having a hard time visualizing what's going on here during the refrain. Could someone kindly walk me through this?
          >
          > --In joy and service,
          > Christian d'Hiver

        • Rowan
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
            Agree here too. The trick to this will be the timing for the dancers
            against the music. Since its for as many as will the pit master would need
            to be able to alter the number of repeats on the fly. This is why the
            Playford Project set "as many as will" to be 4 couples in a bunch of the
            redactions - so we could have set music for the musicians and the boom box
            to practice with. Somethings are just easier for dancers and musicains
            doing this as a hobby to deal with.

            HL Rowan Houndskeeper

            From: Sarah Kaiser <sarahkaiserstl@...>
            To: "CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com" <CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com>
            Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 22:39:05 -0500
            Subject: Re: [CalontirDance] Help deciphering Playford

            wrote:

            > Oh a nice brain puzzle :)
            >

            >> first man backe a D.
            >
            > Back away from partner a double
            >
            >> then goe downe between the rest
            >
            > pass between the couples toward the bottom of the set
            >
            >> and turne the last Wo but one
            >
            > Turn (with 2 hands?) the second to last woman
            >
            >> then the last,
            >
            > Turn the last woman
            >
            >> and stay there
            >
            > Fall into last mans place
            >
            >> while the other men go between the 2. and the third We. and goe toward
            the left hand and fall downe to the first man

            > As the same time the second man passes between 2nd and 3rd women, goes
            toward the head of the line, around the first woman on down on the mans side
            of the line towards the 2nd to last mans place.

            > All other men follow so that the mens line is now reversed.
            >
            >> First man back, then goe up between the rest, turne the second Wo. then
            the first while the men go between the two last We. turne towards the right
            hand and goe up to your places

            > Essentially the reverse of the above, with the first man tuning the 2nd
            and first woman then returning to place, with the line of men going through
            the 2nd to last and last woman then around the bottom then up to their
            places.

            > Seems a little odd the in the first you go between the 2nd and 3rd, but in
            the second you go between the last and second to last. I think for the
            timing the 2nd through last man could start moving up just after the first
            mans has passed between them and their partner. Since this is long ways for
            as many as will , this will take a variable amount of time depending on the
            number of couples.

            > Conrad
            >

            > On Oct 24, 2010, at 9:11 PM, ChrisM wrote:
            >

            > I've been looking at the dance "Drive the Cold Winter Away."
            >
            > A transcription of Playford's descriftion is here:
            http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/dances/Playford/DriveWinter.txt

            > I'm having a hard time visualizing what's going on here during the
            refrain. Could someone kindly walk me through this?

            > --In joy and service,
            > Christian d'Hiver

          • Brenda Knox
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
              I don't know about the dance, but I have played a tune with the same title. We used it as a waltz for a contra. There is a song on some Celtic Christmas albums with the same tune. I am hoping it is the same one. Do you have a link for the tune, or shall I shuffle around in the sca waterloo site?
              Brighid

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
                Hese's the tune right from playford

                http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/playford_1651/046.pdf

                Conrad

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
                  Thanks, Conrad. It really is the same tune, just arranged a LEETLE bit
                  different. This is a beautiful tune, and there are lyrics very good for
                  holiday time that go with it. i wonder when they were composed?
                  > On Oct 25, 2010, at 9:55 PM, Brenda Knox wrote:
                  >

                  > I don't know about the dance, but I have played a tune with the same
                  > title. We used it as a waltz for a contra. There is a song on some Celtic
                  > Christmas albums with the same tune. I am hoping it is the same one. Do
                  > you have a link for the tune, or shall I shuffle around in the sca
                  > waterloo site?
                  > Brighid

                • Brenda Knox
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
                    It is the same tune, and song. I LOVE IT!!! Thanks, Conrad.
                    Brighid O'Mahuna of Flinthyll
                    > On Oct 25, 2010, at 9:55 PM, Brenda Knox wrote:
                    >

                    > I don't know about the dance, but I have played a tune with the same
                    > title. We used it as a waltz for a contra. There is a song on some Celtic
                    > Christmas albums with the same tune. I am hoping it is the same one. Do
                    > you have a link for the tune, or shall I shuffle around in the sca
                    > waterloo site?
                    > Brighid

                  • Greg Lindahl
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 25, 2010
                      On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:38:22PM -0500, Brenda Knox wrote:

                      > Thanks, Conrad. It really is the same tune, just arranged a LEETLE bit
                      > different. This is a beautiful tune, and there are lyrics very good for
                      > holiday time that go with it. i wonder when they were composed?

                      The Playford tune, earliest known 1666, says Simpson in _The British
                      Broadside Ballad & Its Music_. The lyrics, well, that depends on which
                      lyrics you're looking at. None are known to be pre-1600.

                      -- Gregory