Re: [CalontirDance] Lilies Torchlight Madness and Ball

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 1956
      I personally thought it was a great idea to have the ball on the same night as
      midnight madness. In reality, I don't know if we got any strays who wandered
      up for shopping and came over for a dance or two. Anyone know?

      And I'd like to know what the merchants thought of it. I'm sure Dragonsflower
      liked it, since we were right by her and she could hear the music. Did we
      really reach the whole merchant area? My perception's lousy.

      Conrad, could you tell if we had more dancers than usual?

      It's a layup for sure that this is a much better alternative than competing
      against torchlight tourney.

      Just my opinion,
      Conna

      Katriana wrote:

      > Would anyone care to offer an opinion on how combining the Torchlight
      > Madness Merchant's event and the Lilies Ball went? My view of the whole
      > thing was limited to the musicians and dancing. The goal was to provide
      > some entertainment for the shoppers (and maybe pull some of them to the
      > ball) and provide entertainment for the dancers between dances (and let
      > them shop)
      >
      > Also comments on the quantity and timing of dance classes if you're so
      > moved :)
      >
      > katriana

      > kansascity.com - win a Daewoo Lanos S - enter here
    • Ms. Catherine E. Dean, Esq.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2000
        >===== Original Message From CalontirDance@egroups.com =====
        >Would anyone care to offer an opinion on how combining the Torchlight
        >Madness Merchant's event and the Lilies Ball went? My view of the whole
        >thing was limited to the musicians and dancing. The goal was to provide
        >some entertainment for the shoppers (and maybe pull some of them to the
        >ball) and provide entertainment for the dancers between dances (and let
        >them shop)

        Well, speaking as one of dancers who wanted to be there for more or less the
        whole ball, I didn't like that it was the same night as the Merchant Madness.
        The breaks weren't really enough time for me to go and actually shop.
        Probably
        the shoppers were quite entertained, though which is a nice bonus I hadn't
        considered.

        >Also comments on the quantity and timing of dance classes if you're so
        >moved :)

        I think it would have been nice to have the dance classes a bit more spread
        out
        across the week to correspond with the timing of the other RUSH classes,
        especially since some people only come for one or both of the weekends in
        which
        case they would have missed *all* the dance classes, ball, and pick-up
        dancing.
        Quantity was good, although I suppose I would have liked to see more things
        like
        Conrad's reconstruction and dance master classes perhaps at later times.

        Katherine

        Cathy Dean Katherine Mercer
        Grinnell College Seneschal, College of NoMountain
        deanc@...
        http://home.earthlink.net/~lfdean
        Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt, but it's the only way to live life completely. --Anonymous
      • Katriana
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2000
          Well, in years past we have had a problem with attrition. When people
          wanted to sit out a dance, there was NOTHING to keep them in the area (no
          seats, no light for flirting) By having the sale and ball at the same
          time, hopefully more people stuck around 'til the end. And the ball did
          start later than the sale (outlasted most of the merchants too!) Also,
          hopefully, we could pull some people who hadn't thought about dancing.
          And having the combination of events gives a stronger hold on the night
          against a torchlight tourney (the one thing that definately reduces
          attendance)

          Maybe we can come up with a solution. I'm hoping to hear from some
          merchants about if the ball helped or hindered sales (in their opinion)